Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90th Academy Awards

Are there any movie buffs out there?
    I love going to movies and try to see as many as I can. My wish for tonight's Awards is that Guillermo del Toro's movie wins for Best Picture and Best Director. To me it was breath taking and beautifully told.

Good for you Pen P, for starting this thread! There is no category for award shows. Our Toronto film festival, seems to be the "Gold Standard" for predicting the actors and films, every year.
    So far Frances and Gary seem to be winning every important award in the world for actors. However, last year Toronto (TIFF)the movie was La La Land, and we all know what happened after that
    at the Oscars! So it could happen that Three Billboards (won at TIFF) could be outranked by Shape of Water.
    My favorite actor of all time, is Gary Oldman, and I was outraged he did not win for Tinker, Tailor....playing George Smiley. I hope they do not screw up
    this year. Go Gary!!!!

Comment

Waving Hi to Rubythroat1. Gary Oldman rocks. Did you see the process of turning him into Winston Churchill??
      I have 3 Billboards on DVD and will watch it soon. I think Frances McDormand will win for Best Actress. Loved her in Fargo.
      Didn't much care for La La Land
      Happy watching tonight!!

Comment

HUGE movie buff here, but i don't see many new movies until they hit netflix.

Comment

Did anyone see the E! Pre-show with Ryan Seacrest????? I wonder if the stars came to talk to him, because of his sexual harassment allegations

Comment

Yaaaa! Guillermo Del Toro won Best Director for "The Shape of Water," which also won for Best Picture. Congrats! He also won an AARP Best Movies For Grown-Ups award, which was broadcast on the Public Broadcasting channel (PBS). He gave a beautifully moving acceptance speech about what the movie represents.

I love his movies because of their artistic beauty and representations of the commonalities in our human condition. My all-time fave is "Pan's Labyrinth."

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope P View Post
              I love going to movies and try to see as many as I can. My wish for tonight's Awards is that Guillermo del Toro's movie wins for Best Picture and Best Director. To me it was breath taking and beautifully told.
              You got your wish, PeneP! Guillermo Del Toro won Best Director and "Shape of Water" won Best Picture. I'm very happy for him! I haven't seen the movie yet as I very seldom go to theater, but I'm looking forward to it. Twice a month, I've a standing movie night with my family/grandchildren; and afterwards we discuss them.

Comment

Yeah PenP, you got your wish and I got mine! And this time they did not "music " Gary off the stage! There is always a surprise, and last night it was "Shape of Water". Everyone assumed it would be 3 Billboards.
                I have to see "Shape" now because they say there are a lot of shots of Toronto and Hamilton. They always use Hamilton when they want to show a run-down old neighborhood!!! Which it is!
                I think it all turned out well, except that bit where all those stars went over to the movie with treats. What a waste of time, and so goofy.
                I was hoping they would do another "mean tweets" segment.

Comment

Originally posted by Soapfan54 View Post
                  You got your wish, PeneP! Guillermo Del Toro won Best Director and "Shape of Water" won Best Picture. I'm very happy for him! I haven't seen the movie yet as I very seldom go to theater, but I'm looking forward to it. Twice a month, I've a standing movie night with my family/grandchildren; and afterwards we discuss them.
                  Thank you Soapfan54. The movie The Shape of Water is not what it seems when viewing the few clips. To me it was what movies are really about, the beauty, the wonder and suspending belief for those moments. My youngest son is a member of ACTRA (part time love) and had a walk on part in Guillermo's Pacific Rim. His daughter (my granddaughter) is also a member of ACTRA and has appeared in the new Annie series.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubythroat1 View Post
                    Yeah PenP, you got your wish and I got mine! And this time they did not "music " Gary off the stage! There is always a surprise, and last night it was "Shape of Water". Everyone assumed it would be 3 Billboards.
                    I have to see "Shape" now because they say there are a lot of shots of Toronto and Hamilton. They always use Hamilton when they want to show a run-down old neighborhood!!! Which it is!
                    I think it all turned out well, except that bit where all those stars went over to the movie with treats. What a waste of time, and so goofy.
                    I was hoping they would do another "mean tweets" segment.
                    Thank you Rubythroat1. Did you see the clip with Gary Oldman dancing in costume to James Brown?
                    Thoughts:
                    I thought the stage sets were classy and beautiful.
                    Nice nod to the Dreamers.
                    First actress to present: Viola Davis in HOT PINK
                    Eve Marie Saint looks beautiful for her age.
                    Who was that dude who came up to accept an award with white runners on??

Comment

Thank you Rubythroat1. Did you see the clip with Gary Oldman dancing in costume to James Brown?
                      Thoughts:
                      I thought the stage sets were classy and beautiful.
                      Nice nod to the Dreamers.
                      First actress to present: Viola Davis in HOT PINK
                      Eve Marie Saint looks beautiful for her age.
                      Who was that dude who came up to accept an award with white runners on??
                      I had to laugh when Jane Fonda said the sets were like the "Orgasmatron" from Barbarella!

Yes, I saw the clip of Gary Oldman doing the James Brown moves since he did the talk show circuit, and that
                      was on a couple. Most people don't know that in real life he is very shy. When he told his 99 year old mother
                      "to put the kettle on, I'm bringing Oscar home"...I cried. She got him to stop drinking many years ago.

I think the most eloquent speaker was Guillermo del Toro. He mentioned "no lines in the sand" and did not
                      mention that bloody wall! Good for him.

I don't know who was in white sneakers, but I do know that Frances McDormand always has skirts longer than her height
                      because she always wears trainers under. She hates shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by mamabarri View Post
                        HUGE movie buff here, but i don't see many new movies until they hit netflix.
                        ^Same here, mamabarri. Love the movies, but rarely go to theater. My family and I meet at my son's--who has all the streaming services and a huge comfy family room--where we view the movies; then discuss them afterwards. It gets lively sometimes w/every generation from Baby Boomer to Millennials throwing in!

Comment

Thank you Soapfan54. The movie The Shape of Water is not what it seems when viewing the few clips. To me it was what movies are really about, the beauty, the wonder and suspending belief for those moments. My youngest son is a member of ACTRA (part time love) and had a walk on part in Guillermo's Pacific Rim. His daughter (my granddaughter) is also a member of ACTRA and has appeared in the new Annie series.
                          Lol, Penelope, I had to Google ACTRA to find out it's the actor's union of Canada (like SAG-AFTRA of America) Good on your son/granddaughter! There's a sequel to Pacific Rim (Pacific Rim 2) due out in theaters this month.

Comment

I was impressed the next day, by some things we did not view even on the red carpet. Whoopee Goldberg and her experience with tulle under a designer gown custom for her.
                            It was amusing seeing her in the limo with all the tulle up in her face, and trying to get out of the car! I have never seen her shoulder tatoos! Her daughter must be over six feet
                            even with spike heels!

Comment

Originally posted by Soapfan54 View Post
                              Lol, Penelope, I had to Google ACTRA to find out it's the actor's union of Canada (like SAG-AFTRA of America) Good on your son/granddaughter! There's a sequel to Pacific Rim (Pacific Rim 2) due out in theaters this month.
                              LOL, that's okay Soapfan54. I haven't heard if he has a part in the new Pacific Rim........I'll let you know; he speaks very highly of Guillermo.

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X