• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Penelope P
    Aspiring soap scribe
    • Feb 2007

So You Think You Can Dance

Season 12 begins on June 1st this year. Not only are we welcoming Paula Abdul and Jason Derulo to the judges table, for the first time in the series' 11-season history, the dancing hopefuls will be split into two categories: street and stage.
    I love this show and watching these talented hopefuls bloom in front of my eyes. Please check your local station for times.
  • He'sAliveToday
    Senior Board Member
    • Jul 2011

Thanks for the reminder, Penelope! I'm NOT looking forward to J.Derulo, but i AM looking forward to these hopeful talented dancers. This street and stage dynamic...... I wonder how that will play out in terms of winning.

They (meaning Nigel) pulled the okeydoke many years ago when they felt the viewers/voters favored the guys. They then made TWO winners eligible. At one point, it seemed as though Nigel resented the viewers support of the street dancers. He was always trying to his force his favorites upon the voters. This street/stage concept has Nigel's name written all over it.

I don't watch this show for Nigel though, and certainly not for the other panel of judges. I watch for the TALENT! I'm excited.

Comment

• Penelope P
      Aspiring soap scribe
      • Feb 2007

Always, always enjoy reading your posts He'sAliveToday and I too am excited because there is so much talent out there!!

Comment

• Penelope P
        Aspiring soap scribe
        • Feb 2007

Last night we visited Memphis and Dallas and oh what talent there was. In Memphis, Ladia did "jooken" a street dance that blew me away. When she rotated her ankles, did you hear me say "ouch?" Enjoyed Jordan whose Mother gave up her honeymoon to watch and encourage her!! In Dallas, Guiermo (sp) the valet parker was very funny about his job but was a serious dancer!! Loved Jacylin who danced to slow music and ended it with a "wink"........drop dead gorgeous she was. The last dancer Edson was smoking!!

Comment

• He'sAliveToday
          Senior Board Member
          • Jul 2011

^Penelope, you KNOW I enjoy reading your posts! and I couldn't agree more with your comment about last week's show. Ladia's ankles and footwork were fantastic. She's probably the best of the street dancers so far (the ladies).

THIS week, though, that Krumper got my attention. Little Bam Bam was sooooo cute! But his daddy's body is sexy! I haven't seen "sexy" Krumpin' since Russell, and I'm so glad they mentioned Russell (finally, after all these seasons since his win). Next week, they are supposed to have a focus on Krumpin' and I'm looking forward to that.

I was glad to see some different styles of Stage coming forward, as well. We saw more tap and more jazz styles. I'm looking for more ballet, too! There are so many "stage" dancers I liked, but because they out-numbered the "street", the street dancers stood out more. Sometimes it seemed as though the panel was allowing just ANY street dancer to have a ticket, just to punch the card. It was kind of ticking me off to see them choose the cream of the crop with "stage", but just phoning it in on "street" selecting.

Comment

• Penelope P
            Aspiring soap scribe
            • Feb 2007

^^^I agree especially about allowing just ANY street dancer to have a ticket. Not too many stood out for me this second round in Detroit but I did like Miranda the 18 year old that danced "fierce"........she was simply awesome. I sure miss Mary Murphy though .

Comment

• Penelope P
              Aspiring soap scribe
              • Feb 2007

Last nights try outs in Los Angeles produced some memorable moments for me. The first was the opening act with Asaf (I think) doing Hebrew breaking . Other than he was drop dead gorgeous, he stunned everyone with his performance . Next was Mary Kate and her Dad. Mary Kate was not only stunningly beautiful and performed well, but her love and critique of her Dad was so enjoyable. Finally, three outstanding and heartwarming stories. Jim who was born with a hare lip and had to endure many surgeries to correct it cosmetically and who didn't let this deter his love for ballet and dancing was astounding in his performance!! WOW . Cody, whose Mother said that a little thing like Downs Syndrome didn't keep him down for his love of dancing and my respect to Jason Derulo for inviting him to Las Vegas, not for his dancing but to join them for his heart and finally Jacy, the beautiful young lady who when she was young was in a car accident that disfigured her leg, whose Mother pleaded with the surgeons to save it and with great determination persisted in her love of dancing to bring her to this try out..........she was simply beautiful to watch and inspire others.

Comment

• oldtimer18
                Board Regular
                • Nov 2005

I'm curious how other longtime SYTYCD fans feel about the shift to Street vs Stage concept.

I've thoroughly enjoyed many of the so-called "street" dancers over the years. Watching dancers like Russell, Phillip, Sarah, Legacy, Fik-Shun, others, and my favorite Twitch evolve through challenging their skill sets has been thrilling. But I'm kind of bummed that this format reserves 10 final spots for each "class" of dancer instead of simply allowing for 20 of the most intriguing and talented dancers to be selected.

Maybe I won't be disappointed once the competition starts, but we'll see. I just figure 10 stage slots won't allow for much variety in dancer types...my opinion only. YMMV.

Comment

• He'sAliveToday
                  Senior Board Member
                  • Jul 2011

^^YESS! YESS!, Penelope! All that you wrote and more. I Loved Asaf's B-Boying, Avo's Ballet, James' Krump, Mary Kate's sexy (that girl is SO sexy!!) number, Jim's Ballet, Jessica's Wacking, Kareem's street Calypso. and, yes, I loved Cody and Jacy especially because they were SUPPOSED to be physically or mentally challenged, but they showed us! and although Jason did give Cody a ticket to attend, I would have loved to see Cody do some choreography.

^oldtimer, I have similar concerns regarding how this format will pan out. I'm wondering if they are going to keep it strictly street/stage all the way through. The fun for me in watching all these seasons was seeing all the dancers be challenged with different styles, other than their personal disciplines. But, keeping it "pure" may just result into greater growth without being distracted. The pressure is really on Twitch and Travis to keep things fresh, creative, and monotonous free each week.

Comment

• Penelope P
                    Aspiring soap scribe
                    • Feb 2007

oldtimer18. It looks like a wait and see what happens. I loved Fik-Shun and Twitch and how they developed over the series to be able to do "other" styles other than street.

Comment

• oldtimer18
                      Board Regular
                      • Nov 2005

Thanks for your perspectives, He'sAlive and Penelope. I agree with both of you--loved watching the street dancers be challenged by the different styles and grow into something that surprised everyone, including themselves, as the season progressed.

I've missed parts of these early shows and guess I'm not sure yet how the actual competition will work. But I do adore Travis and Twitch, so will try to remain open minded.....this has always been my favorite summer pleasure, and I don't want to lose that joy!

Comment

• He'sAliveToday
                        Senior Board Member
                        • Jul 2011

I was LOVING the auditions once again!!!

Alexa's stage was so strong! I pray that Cory C. (street) will take this new opportunity and truly appreciate it. There aren't too many venues that will open their arms to an ex-con and ex-dope fiend, I mean, of course, unless you are auditioning for Iron Man . Justin's street hoofing was great in spite of the music. The judges were complaining that he wasn't rhythmically in tuned, but imo, he kept the emotional beat PERFECTLY. I enjoyed Angel AND Cookie's street, but they were right in only choosing Angel.

I noticed that the "bumper" type dancers were FANTASTIC! I noticed one in particular was a past volatile dancer. If I remember correctly, he even threatened Nigel's life... SO funny that Nigel mentioned to him about Nigel being "a yes, until he took his shirt off'. I was like easy Nigel...

But about the bumper auditions.... I have a strange feeling that THESE are the ones that will make it to the final 20. Some of those auditions seemed to be the best, but I can't always keep up with the names...

However, ONE NAME I DID remember: IAN WILLIAMS!!! For those that have no ringing bells, he is the hybrid breaker-ballet dude. I was excited at first when he talked about himself. I was ready to cross ALL other auditions off my list and write his name across the paper.... a hybrid Breaker-Ballerino is JUST what this competition needs, I was saying to myself, with greedy anticipation. What a sock in my stomach to see him do his do... I should have been clued in early when he walked on stage with those casket-sharp slippers on. Dead. But that exit was H-I-L-A-R-I-O-U-S. It was SO worth the sock in the bread basket.... Poor Ian ran off into the snow storm with no coat on or nothin.

Comment

• Penelope P
                          Aspiring soap scribe
                          • Feb 2007

at your description of Ian Williams He'sAliveToday.........I think Breaker Ballet needs a little more "practise"
                          I absolutely loved Ryan whose Mother earned her title . His hips swayed back and forth with little or no effort. If I had done one of his "swishes", I would have locked permanently!!
                          My mind boggles at the chore at hand............out of all these hundreds they have to be whittled down to 10 street and 10 dance

Comment

• tvaddict4965
                            Executive Poster
                            • Aug 2005

Originally posted by He'sAliveToday View Post
                            ^^YESS! YESS!, Penelope! All that you wrote and more. I Loved Asaf's B-Boying, Avo's Ballet, James' Krump, Mary Kate's sexy (that girl is SO sexy!!) number, Jim's Ballet, Jessica's Wacking, Kareem's street Calypso. and, yes, I loved Cody and Jacy especially because they were SUPPOSED to be physically or mentally challenged, but they showed us! and although Jason did give Cody a ticket to attend, I would have loved to see Cody do some choreography.

^oldtimer, I have similar concerns regarding how this format will pan out. I'm wondering if they are going to keep it strictly street/stage all the way through. The fun for me in watching all these seasons was seeing all the dancers be challenged with different styles, other than their personal disciplines. But, keeping it "pure" may just result into greater growth without being distracted. The pressure is really on Twitch and Travis to keep things fresh, creative, and monotonous free each week.

There she is.....Been looking for you at BigBrother17...I still didn't see last nights show

I like SYTYCD....love all those stories..

and wow woman, you really know your contestants...I love watching the show, but between doing Soap spoilers, BB17 Spoils, at 3 diff boards..and FB...can't for get ole FB,,

Comment

• He'sAliveToday
                              Senior Board Member
                              • Jul 2011

^Hey, tvaddict, I'm with you on BB17! FB can take a hike up a rattlesnake-riddled hill, but you do you. As far as me "knowing" anything, it's all in the NOTES. lol I sit here in front of a lot of these shows and take notes like I'm back in college. Otherwise, I'd be so lost, I'd drop out (like back in college ). Joking. I hung in and finished, like I hang in for these shows, but I need these notes to keep track.

Penelope, you're so right about Ryan's hips! They were as wild as his mother's temper. I look forward to seeing what he's going to do in this comp.

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X