Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alias Grace

This new series, based on another novel by Margaret Atwood, (The Handmaid's Tale) is intriguing. It has a mystery embedded : did she do it? As in kill her employer. Grace, that is. It is set in Toronto
    in the nineteenth century, and has a large varied cast of not-so-familiar faces. The acting is superb so far, and the sets amazing since it is hard to find anyplace now that can double for that era.
    Grace is one of those many poor Irish folk that emigrated by ship to foreign countries that would take them, with many dying on route from smallpox, influenza or other diseases.
    An early " psychiatrist" is brought in to examine Grace for "sanity". OK, I'm hooked.

CBC has a website about - Alias Grace -

http://www.cbc.ca/aliasgrace/

Comment

Thanks Holly. I have to admit I find the film adaptations of Margaret Atwood's books, easier than reading her books. This one is very well written (by Sarah Polley) and produced, acted.

Comment

Just finished watching this week's eppy & I have to say .. Sarah Gadon's portrayal of "Grace" is fascinating.

Comment

Kudos to Sarah Polley for writing the script and being a co-producer. She is acquainted with Margaret Atwood as well. The story is elevated from what could have turned out to be a turn of the century soap opera
          or frontier tale, to a study of the psychological impact of both culture, emigration , early mental institutions,and misogyny...misogyny which is still being dealt with today. I agree Holly, Sarah Gadon is a spellbinder.
          Those grey blue eyes that don't seem to blink, and see right through people.

Comment

I must say, I do wonder if they dubbed Paul Gross as the master of the Richmond Hill house, or he listened to tapes of Outlander for his Scottish accent? It was impeccable. He's Canadian, and his wife was the mistress of Grace at her former mansion, in Toronto. Martha Burns.

Comment

When I was in highschool, we were required to read Margaret Atwood. I rebelled. Now I have gone out and got a copy of Alias Grace, because of this wonderful interpretation with these terrific actors.
              The scene in church with Margaret Atwood playing a gossipy disapproving Matron, took a little away from that scene, though. Margaret! What about "suspension of disbelief?"!

Comment

I speed read through the book--the filming was very faithful--and Jeremiah's psychic prediction was correct--all turns out well in the end. Quite surprising.
                Finale this week.

Comment

Thoroughly enjoyed this mini-series & hope other works of Margaret Atwood will be produced for TV.

Comment

I actually loved the book too. I was born and raised in Toronto, and worked in the "Toronto Asylum" (Queen St. Mental Health Center) so it was interesting to read what it was like in the 19th century. Richmond Hill, home of Mr. Kinnear, was just agricultural and pastoral, and Yonge St. a dirt road!!! Loved it!

Comment

Finale was faithful to the book, if rather sedate, and mostly focused on Grace. The most powerful scene was the hypnotism by Jeremiah, who even seemed shocked by the outcome. The ambiguities of the main characters,
                      was the most fascinating part of this piece. Kudos to Sarah Gadon.

Comment

Message for PenP--congrats to Billy Campbell for getting the best actor in a TV drama series for Cardinal last night in the Canadian screen awards! I believe you posted the series
                        here, but I can't find it!
                        I was rooting for Sarah Gadon in Alias Grace--and sure enough--she got it! Whohoo!

Comment

Yay, I watched this last Cardinal series.........creepy good and congratulations to Billy Campbell for his award

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X