Collapse

Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In one word, it's what happens to Brianna...........first her marriage and then disaster .

Comment

DG began to put some very chance meetings into her books. George Washington this episode, Benedict Arnold in another book. If they ever hop to the civil war period, I bet that we'll see Jaime giving advice to Abe Lincoln himself. I know that the author was having a little fun, but seeing this encounter cut a bit into the 'reality' of the books and show for me.

That said, I love love love Brianna and Roger, and hate what happened to her. Even that scene was different though. It wasn't right after their handfasting, and the author made great strides to show Brianna's smarts by having her go to the boat during daylight. This was changed into almost a Harvey Weinstein moment as shown on Starz, where everyone heard her being pummeled and did nothing. I don't remember that in the novel.

I find it so romantic though that Roger went into this dark horrible past to keep Brianna safe. I love what a modern American woman she is.

Comment

• Penelope P
        Penelope P commented
        Editing a comment
        I just love your posts believeinme246, for your knowledge of the books and your phrasing.

• believeinme246
        believeinme246 commented
        Editing a comment
        That is so kind of you to say. I love that you keep this board going with all your reviews of the shows.

• Penelope P
        Penelope P commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you believeinme246. I love the story telling and teleporting me back to the times where starting a living was hard, suffering and existing for survival was prevalent. Most of all, the selection of the actors/actresses were spot on, believable and made me fall in love with most of them .

In the books, Young Ian was my favorite character, but the storyline that made him that hasn't yet occurred. Keep your eye on him.

The time travel element, and Claire and her study of the medicinal value of plants was my other favorite part of the books. I'm a sucker for a good time travel storyline.

I can't tell you about some of my other favorite characters, because their story hasn't happened yet, but as the years of series progress, I'm so glad that I have friends here to talk to!

In the series, I love the casting of Jenny and Ian Senior. I could listen to Jenny speak all day, and Ian just looks like an all around good person. I wish that we could see them more. Last week's show with Breanna was supposed to be with her staying at Jenny and Ian's, and then Laighoire came to spit her usual venom. The series changed Laighoire's character to be kind to her, but she was never kind in the books. In fact, in the forums, people called her LegHair rather than Leerie!

Comment

I have always liked Murdagh, and his scenes are too few in the show. It is good that he has Jamie looking out for him, as we see the first inklings of the American revolution
        sprouting.
        Brianna gets on my last nerve--Roger gave up everything in his life to come after her, and she constantly shows what a spoiled and ungrateful girl she is.
        The worst part is that she has no conception of the mores and attitudes of the time she is living in, and thinks it is OK to go into a room alone with a strange man
        unaccompanied by her "maid" Lizzie. That's why she got raped. Clair manages to get men to pay attention to her, with her obvious and necessary surgical skills.
        I guess every week we are going to be treated to yet another of the horrible signs of the times.
        Is it better to live in 2018? At least we have antibiotics, dentists, and painkillers for childbirth! Among other things.
        One of the reasons for women dying after childbirth on those days, was unwashed hands by the midwives and doctors. Claire will change all that, I hope!

Comment

Thanks for that write-up, Rubythroat1. Actually, I'm confused by Murtagh. He died in the books, but he remained alive in the show. Murtagh was always a surrogate father to Jaime, but since he returned, he seems to be purely a rebel rouser and seems more indifferent to Jaime. In fact, as you say above, Jamie is now looking after Murtagh. I do not understand this shift in character.

I love that the Jacobites who fought for freedom against the English are somehow still fighting for freedom against the English, so that part makes sense to me. I just don't understand that bond with Jamie isn't as apparent as it once was. He seems colder now.
          Last edited by believeinme246; December 29, 2018, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by believeinme246 View Post
            Thanks for that write-up, Rubythroat1. Actually, I'm confused by Murtagh. He did in the books, but he remained alive in the show. Murtagh was always a surrogate father to Jaime, but since he returned, he seems to be purely a rebel rouser and seems more indifferent to Jaime. In fact, as you say above, Jamie is now looking after Murtagh. I do not understand this shift in character.

I love that the Jacobites who fought for freedom against the English are somehow still fighting for freedom against the English, so that part makes sense to me. I just don't understand that bond with Jamie isn't as apparent as it once was. He seems colder now.
            There are a lot of differences between the books and the show. Enough said about that. Murdtagh does not appear in the American stage of the books, but I am glad he is in
            this show. I would also like to see Willoughby the drunken Chinese accupuncturist back, but alas.....
            When I visited Nova Scotia, I spent a whole day at the renovated wreck of a ship that brought hundreds of Scottish Highlanders to their shores after the highland clearances
            and seeing 22 children die of smallpox on the journey. The Native Mic Mac helped the ones who survived in Nova Scotia. It was very moving.

When I thought about that, I had better insight into what Jaimie, Claire, Murtdagh, and Brianna/Roger must be going through, mostly with culture shock and the loss of modern
            conveniences and attitudes.

Jamie has had enough of war and rebellion, and just wants to create a haven for his family. Murdtaugh will always be a rebel against injustice, and especially the English
            usurpers.

Comment

That must have been an amazing experience. I wish that Willoughby could be back too. Minus the twist, I liked his character so much.

I think your assessment makes sense. It is Jamie who has changed. I'm glad we're here to talk, so that I could look at the show in different ways.

Comment

This last episode was the worst of any in the series. The idea that Bonnet could have encountered all of the main characters separately over time
                and done harm to them is absurd and ludicrous. Roger comes all this way after being tossed out by Brianna in a fit of pique, a case of mistaken identity
                and a loose-lipped maid, and Jaimie ends up beating poor Roger to a bloody pulp without even finding out who he is.
                That is not the Jaimie that I've come to know. I had to stop the episode, due to disgust. Forget that it does not follow the book at all.

Comment

I agree, Rubythroat1. Steven Bonnet is being made to be larger than life, almost as Black Jack was. This is part of why I thought that this book marked the jumping of the shark. Too many people meet too many more people in a way that reality is almost broken. However, I do remember Jamie and Ian beating up Roger in Drums in Autumn.

I actually loved this episode, because of the family scenes and was so glad that Murtagh was written more like he was in the books before he died at Colloden. I thought SH did a great job when he met Brianna. He is growing on me as he 'ages' on the screen, from the pimply faced kid he was who thought that people mated like horses mate, and hadn't had a clue about sex.

The only thing is - if you finally met your birth father, and he was very grossly taking a wicked piss by a wall, would that REALLY be the time you approach him, or would you wait around the corner for him to finish up and come out? If it were me, I wouldn't want him to be touching me before washing his hands either. That scene didn't seem to phase Brianna at all, but I thought it was so crude. Didn't they have outhouses back then? Did men really pee on buildings?

The Young Ian casting is finally beginning to grow on me. He was my favorite character in the books, but I wasn't feeling him earlier in the series. However, he works so well with the actress who plays Breanna. I especially loved the scene where he explained that before he was called Young Ian, he was called Wee Ian.

Comment

^^^ b246---Let's face it. Bonnet is a psychopath, through and through. The most horrible scene for me, other than Roger's face a bloody mass, was Brianna
                    bathing with her back to the maid, and she had blood on her backside. It was evident what that was all about. Cruel times, cruel people.
                    And no laws or morality or people to enforce them.
                    It will be interesting to see if they have Brianna screaming at Jaimie and calling him a F**** bastard when she finds out what Ian and he did with Roger after
                    beating him up. And decamping to River Run.

Comment

DG was very obsessed with rape in the books. I'm sure that it did happen a lot back then, but it was another reason I thought the books were jumping the shark at this point. I was checking to see whether there was an online scorecard for each character, sad as that is, and found this article, which shouldn't be funny, but I did like its presentation. I found it a bit sick that rape was needed so much for a plot point, even if it was a horrible world back then.

http://www.feministfiction.com/2014/...ith-that-rape/

Comment

• Penelope P
                        Penelope P commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Great article believeinme246.........Plunder is a word that I associate in those times, whether it was for money, jewels or women. Not having read the DG books, I hope that Brianna will be the one that puts Bonnet to rest........it's only fitting IMO. Poor Roger .

I would love, love it if someone would start a series on the Angelique books written by Anne and Serge Golon. I know some films were done in Europe but this could be done here quite well if the selection of the main characters fit the stories.

Comment

• Penelope P
                        Penelope P commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I hope so too Rubythroat1, but look at all the soap opera stars that have put in over 20 years on their respective shows and are content. Catriona Balle is very comfortable in her role and I'm sure many more seasons to come.

• Rubythroat1
                        Rubythroat1 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        If they are committed to all of D.Gabaldon's books--CB will have lots of work ahead!
                        We waited a year and a half for the latest season!

• Penelope P
                        Penelope P commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Good to know Rubythroat1. When I watch this series, I easily transport myself to their times of hardship, heartache and love.

I caught one snafu today, a Scottish man talking about seven miles, rather than kilometres. Aside from that, I look forward to your comments about the show.

Comment

I completed Drums of Autumn, and it has Ian taking Roger to a Mohawk tribe camp, after being beaten to a pulp by Jaimie. In the book he spends a year
                        roaming about before coming back to Fraser's ridge. It seems to me, the show either changes the story again or splits it into two seasons.

Comment

• Penelope P
                          Penelope P commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Wow, quite a difference from what is shown.

I noticed Catriona Balfe nominated for best actress in limited TV series once again at the Golden Globes. They panned the camera at her with tears in her eyes at the
                        wonderful speech by Glenn Close. The woman has such a naturally beautiful face, I cannot complain about her plain hairstyle!

Comment

• Penelope P
                          Penelope P commented
                          Editing a comment
                          She is what I would call a classic beauty. Very few IMO get that title.

• believeinme246
                          believeinme246 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          She is. She comes across as elegant and classy.

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X