Collapse

Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I flipped through "Drums of Autumn" after being upset with the scene between Roger and Brianna, when she told him she was not ready for marriage, and he flips out.
    It was reassuring to have a "script" to let me know all would turn out in the end. Lot of "suspending of disbelief" about people "time-travelling through standing stones"
    but it is, after all, a fantasy. Claire is one intrepid woman. I would never give up my microwave, electricity, or especially antibiotics. Oh yes, underarm deodorant too.
    Going back to a toothless, smelly time? Uh Uh !

Comment

It must be difficult at times Rubythroat1 after reading a book and seeing it interpreted on the screen. Yes, it does look like there will be another "time traveller" to come .I did like Roger sticking to his guns though.

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope P View Post
        It must be difficult at times Rubythroat1 after reading a book and seeing it interpreted on the screen. Yes, it does look like there will be another "time traveller" to come .I did like Roger sticking to his guns though.
        The film is better than the books. I find the books "overwritten". The one thing that is shown between Roger and Brianna, is that they come from two very different cultures
        and adjustments to their times. Imagine what going back two hundred years will do?
        A funny bit when Brianna reaches Lallybroch and Jenny's husband tells her he is grateful to Claire for helping them save their teeth. I wonder what they are flossing with?
        Or what "weeds" they are eating.

Comment

Rubythroat1 , it was more believable for Claire to go back, because she grew up camping at her uncle's archaeological digs, and grew up being comfortable surviving without very much. However, Brianna is such an American girl, and very current. It's far less believable that she would be comfortable there, yet she does it just for the love of her mother. I'm like you. I wouldn't want to go back to that horrid time.

Comment

Originally posted by believeinme246 View Post
            Rubythroat1 , it was more believable for Claire to go back, because she grew up camping at her uncle's archaeological digs, and grew up being comfortable surviving without very much. However, Brianna is such an American girl, and very current. It's far less believable that she would be comfortable there, yet she does it just for the love of her mother. I'm like you. I wouldn't want to go back to that horrid time.
            It was a time of upheaval, and soon to be a time of many wars and revolutions. There were no "should be's"...everyone lived by their wits.
            What stands out, is the love that Claire has for Jaime, and the love that took Roger from his comfortable and settled existence to a crazy
            life where many dangers lurked, and although he was an academic, he had to learn to be "other", because he loved Brianna.

Comment

Jaimie Fraser has to be the most scarred up male in cinematic history--lash whipped on the back, through the Battle of Culloden and left for dead, knifed many times
              and through several gang beatings---now he's been clawed by a Cherokee outcast dressed as a bear. Good thing he has Claire to patch him up again.
              I could actually smell that fish that Claire was hand gutting, and all the damp wool they wore. That wood frame for the house they are building on "Fraser's Ridge"
              North Carolina, was so obviously cut by a mechanical circular saw, I tried not to laugh.
              I have transferred my attention to Roger and Brianna, who is off to find her mother at the stones in Inverness, while Roger pines away and worries at Oxford.
              That Richard Rankin is quite nice to look at!

Comment

• Penelope P
                Penelope P commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, it's obvious from the previews that Brianna will go back in time to save her parents. Loved watching the building of their home.

I love Roger even more on screen than I did in the book. His actor is really good.

Comment

Originally posted by believeinme246 View Post
                I love Roger even more on screen than I did in the book. His actor is really good.
                Handsome devil, isn't he? His real name is Richard Harris (but he took his mother's maiden name "Rankin") due to the famous actor.
                The accent is real Glasgow. I have a friend who lives in Rutherglen, where he comes from.
                He will certainly keep me watching. His adventures are just beginning, poor sod.

Comment

As Brianna enters those stones at Inverness, I kept wondering what she is going to do for money in the late 1700's ? She looks better in that period dress, with her hair up.
                  What a risk to take, a woman travelling alone in Scotland at that time.
                  Claire has risked everything for love. A trained surgeon who now has to cook, clean and find food in a primitive wilderness controlled by Cherokee and owned by the English crown.
                  Jamie and Claire better trade some furs from the Cherokee when they find out what North American winters are like. All it does in Scotland is rain most of the time.

Comment

• Penelope P
                    Penelope P commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Brutal to watch and as I do, I think that the actor/actress cast as Jaimie and Claire were a solid pick.

Yes PenP, SH and CB really carry the show. Both charismatic.

I am starting the book right after Drums of Autumn, The Fiery Cross. More adventures.

Comment

• Penelope P
                    Penelope P commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I used to devour books and somehow got away from doing so. I hope the reading bug hits me again.

• Rubythroat1
                    Rubythroat1 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well, PenP--the writing style changed in the Fiery cross.

It is more about everyday life in the bush, and how they dealt with it.

What I liked most about the books was Claire using her botany studies to work with the medicinal value of plants, and I enjoyed that more than the plots. We see that a little in this series, especially with that beautiful Native woman with the ill-fated ending last week, but this show is very much more plot driven.

Claire and Breanna were very different characters when going back in time. Claire grew up going to her uncle's archaeological sites and talked about never really having a home that was just hers and so she knew how to camp and how to rough it. Being a combat nurse had to have been terribly difficult as well. However, Breanna was a Boston girl who went to school, had a home and family, and doesn't look like she roughed it much. It will be interesting to see how she survives two hundred years ago, in the movie.

One thing that the book described that I miss is that Jamie put the accent on the "Bre" of Breanna, and said her name the olde Scottish way. In the movie, he pronounces her name like Claire does. There was something awfully paternal about how he pronounced it in the books.

Comment

• Penelope P
                    Penelope P commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The native woman is played by Actress Tantoo Cardinal, a Member of the Order of Canada, one of the country's highest civilian honors. The Order of Canada recognizes Cardinal for her contributions to the growth and development of Aboriginal performing arts in Canada. I especially remember her in Dances with Wolves, one of my very favorite movies of all time.

• believeinme246
                    believeinme246 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I knew that she looked familiar, but couldn't place how I knew her. I'm so glad that you wrote this. She deserves the honor. She is terrific. She exudes such warmth.

• Rubythroat1
                    Rubythroat1 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Tantoo Cardinal - Dances With Wolves--Graham Green's wife.

Lots of anachronisms present. Lord Grey (Claire helped him through measles) must have some idea why Claire understands and forgives his homosexual feelings.
                  In those days, that was called "Sodomite" and was "from the devil" to most people of any religious faith.
                  In the book his head was trepined with a bore hole to release the pressure. Glad they skipped that part.
                  I very much doubt that those Cherokee would have been as forgiving of Jaimie and the boy, for trespassing even if they were both brave and self-sacrificing.
                  Ah well, it is a historical romance soap opera!

Comment

• Penelope P
                    Penelope P commented
                    Editing a comment
                    All I can say Rubythroat1 is the "bath scene" and how I was robbed when they stopped at 5 .......Wow!!

I have decided to stop checking passages from the Outlander series books for changes in the story. In the Drums of Autumn, Brianna is dressed like a man, riding a horse
                  to find Lallybroch, and meets up with one of the sons of Jenny on her way. In the TV film, she is found on the road by Leerie and given shelter.
                  Also, in the TV film, Brianna is wearing modern boots (these boots are made for walking) with costume dress over it.
                  That Bonnet scoundrel shows up in too many coincidental scenes, first with Claire and Jaimie, then with Roger, and with Brianna. Impossible.
                  Of course, this kind of time travel is also impossible!

Comment

I couldn't help but wonder when Brianna was limping through the forests, why she didn't use some sort of stick to take the pressure off her ankle???

Comment

Outlander is finally up to the part where I began to think that the books jumped the shark. Mind you, there was something terrific in all of them, and MOBY was especially insightful, but watch it and let me know what you think. I enjoyed it, but there were two parts to the episode that I'd really like to talk about.

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X