Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roseanne

Collapse

Ad Below Title

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    If the remaining cast can make a go of the show, I wish them well. I have always been a John Goodman fan. Congrats to Laurie Metcalf, who just won a Tony award. My heart goes out to Roseanne, who is not a victim. She is suffering the fate of those whose darkest secret is broadcast aloud. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

    Comment


    • Rubythroat1
      Rubythroat1 commented
      Editing a comment
      RB took her quirky personality a little too far. She had just recovered from that awful
      time she sung the national anthem.

  • #92
    Originally posted by Mermaid777 View Post
    The show without Roseanne? Don't think it will work.
    I agree...I guess when the ratings dip, ABC will bring her back! The show was a success. They should have told her, it's wrong to talk like that, if the fans are liking your show. ABC took things far...they had the best show. Why go to extremes???

    Comment


    • Soapfan54
      Soapfan54 commented
      Editing a comment
      Asa1983: First of all, thank you for asking question instead of just making an assumption :-)) I'll try to stay succinct. My Grandma had a saying [well actually she had many sayings to summarize life's circumstances, LOL] which is as true today as when she told me "....whatever a person thinks about someone who LOOKS like you, is what they think about YOU." I'm Black like Valerie Jarrett, so why wouldn't Roseanne think that I DON'T look like an ape? Or that beautiful 8-yr old child? I don't believe for a second that Roseanne didn't know VJ wasn't Black nor do I care if she's mental. The thing that perplexes me about bigots/racists is: Why equivocate and deny? Owning it gives their intended target a fair chance at offensive action, i.e., boycotting products, choosing not to engage w/that person, etc. IMO, they hide in order to inflict as much harm as possible. It's very cowardly.

    • Asa1983
      Asa1983 commented
      Editing a comment
      Soapfan54: Thank you, for your answer, it did help me to understand your position better. Though I will say one thing, I do kind of buy the excuse that Roseanne might not have known the Valerie Jarrett was black. I myself have worked in politics and am a political news junkie, and I honestly did not know she was black until this happened. I had seen many pictures of her, and interviews and I just assumed she was Middle Eastern, Hispanic or just white, mainly due to the fact that I am white and many of my relatives have darker complexions than her(we have been called racial epitaphs, including the N-word before, in hatred.)

    • Soapfan54
      Soapfan54 commented
      Editing a comment
      @Asa1983: Glad we could communicate! :-)) Not always, but usually one Black person can recognize another, even w/our wide palette of skin tones. Don't ask me how this works because I couldn't begin to explain it, lol. I am horrified that you/your loved ones have been called racial slurs! I once went toe-to-toe verbally w/a skinhead and he didn't even go there. I don't know why he didn't use "that" word. Maybe it was because I was refuting everything he was spouting, we were face to face, and he was alone. People are a lot braver online....
      Also, I watched part of Roseanne's latest "interview" on the internet. Rubythroat1 was correct--at present, Roseanne's outside of her mind. Where are her loved ones? Someone needs to get hold of her.

  • #93
    Originally posted by Mermaid777 View Post
    The show without Roseanne? Don't think it will work.
    Could be like a spinoff. Lots of them have worked in the past. They still have good talent on the show.

    Comment


    • #94
      Originally posted by Rubythroat1 View Post

      Could be like a spinoff. Lots of them have worked in the past. They still have good talent on the show.
      Makes me think of Seinfeld. That show without Jerry would make absolutely no sense.. And I believe the spinoffs did not work with that show once it ended. But yeah, you never know!

      Comment


      • #95
        Originally posted by Mermaid777 View Post

        Makes me think of Seinfeld. That show without Jerry would make absolutely no sense.. And I believe the spinoffs did not work with that show once it ended. But yeah, you never know!
        It has worked in a few instances. All in the Family without "Dingbat" (long suffering Jean Stapleton) became "Archie's Place".
        Two and a Half- Men without Charlie Sheen got You-know-who, X-Files lasted another season without Mulder and Scully--and wasn't too bad.
        I will not bore you with the rest of the list. At least the cast and crew have got a fighting chance.

        Comment


        • #96
          Originally posted by tiff5555 View Post

          I agree...I guess when the ratings dip, ABC will bring her back! The show was a success. They should have told her, it's wrong to talk like that, if the fans are liking your show. ABC took things far...they had the best show. Why go to extremes???
          I feel that way too. A hit show, an apology but
          poof, it was instantly canceled, when many others have gotten a pass for similar and worse offenses.
          And reruns also taken away. Many people
          adored them. But the Cosby show reruns
          are still alive and well. Um okay.


          Comment


          • kristendny
            kristendny commented
            Editing a comment
            Asa, I never read or heard that anywhere, but even if it's true, it doesn't mean she isn't personally racist or that she didn't make racist tweets. The show seemed to be awkwardly trying to appease both sides.

          • Asa1983
            Asa1983 commented
            Editing a comment
            Here is a Vanity Fair article about DJ's wife and Roseanne's views on race, that came out when the reboot premiered. There appears to be more layers, than to just label her racist based on one or even two tweets, like many things in life it is more gray than just black or white. https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...-men-cant-kiss

          • kristendny
            kristendny commented
            Editing a comment
            That is interesting. Tom Arnold also said that he was surprised (because of her views back then) that she had changed so much and in his opinion, had become so racist. It's been said that there were racist tweets before the last one that blew up in her face. The show did, also, try to appease both sides, as I mentioned. Personally, I don't see how anyone can support Trump and diversity or equality at the same time. however, Roseanne does come across as having mental issues. I guess the bottom line is, the people who hired her and worked with her know her better than we do, and they decided she was a liability to them, not worth the risk. They didn't want to be associated with her and what she was representing, which is their right.

        • #97
          Originally posted by Rubythroat1 View Post

          It has worked in a few instances. All in the Family without "Dingbat" (long suffering Jean Stapleton) became "Archie's Place".
          Two and a Half- Men without Charlie Sheen got You-know-who, X-Files lasted another season without Mulder and Scully--and wasn't too bad.
          I will not bore you with the rest of the list. At least the cast and crew have got a fighting chance.
          It will be interesting to see how it goes! But true,
          sometimes it works out. I personally did not care too much for 2 1/2 men without Charlie, but it did okay.

          Comment


          • Rubythroat1
            Rubythroat1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes. The results are diminished, no doubt about it. My concern is for the hundreds of crew and the cast jobs.

        • #98
          Originally posted by Mermaid777 View Post
          I feel that way too. A hit show, an apology but
          poof, it was instantly canceled, when many others have gotten a pass for similar and worse offenses.
          And reruns also taken away. Many people
          adored them. But the Cosby show reruns
          are still alive and well. Um okay.

          Yep! ....Since it's been few weeks and did not know who was going to answer to me, hehe, thought you would chew me out with my post. Someone did to me here with Roseanne, but hey, I am okay and open minded.

          Comment


          • #99
            I am glad that the network took a stance because calling anyone an ape is just plane wrong. Roseanne has a stand-up comedy sense of humor that doesn't resonate with me. She has commented that she still thinks that the Star Spangled Banner performance was very funny. I have a different sense of humor.

            However on Roseanne, the writing was fairly moral, the family showed a lot of love, the show tried to bring relevant issues to light in the hopes of making the world a better place. It showed that old people could still love and be frisky. The old Halloween episode and tornado episodes were my favorite. The character Roseanne made the show work. She was different from the real life stand up comedian.

            Without the central character, I think the show will be a bit boring. It has the most wonderful cast and John Goodman is totally huggable. However, the character of Roseanne is what pulled it together.

            I will try it because I am glad that an entire cast and crew did not also lose their jobs, especially when they were brave enough to stand up to the boss. However, if it works, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

            However i am glad that we are living in a world that stands up to bigotry. I just wish that stance was more complete because we have a long way to go.

            Comment


            • Mermaid777
              Mermaid777 commented
              Editing a comment
              Roseanne and Dan have always had a special chemistry I agree. I like Dan but without her, I don’t think it will be interesting. The way their
              senses of humor played off each other also is
              something special and pretty rare.

          • Originally posted by tiff5555 View Post

            Yep! ....Since it's been few weeks and did not know who was going to answer to me, hehe, thought you would chew me out with my post. Someone did to me here with Roseanne, but hey, I am okay and open minded.
            We are definitely on the same page with this!

            Comment


            • OMG--the latest is that RB is going to have an interview: But she is interviewing herself! According to the news.

              Comment


              • Rubythroat1 commented
                07-06-2018, 06:06 AM
                I may be in the minority, but I feel that female performers get judged more harshly than males in the business.
                I agree, Rubythroat. I believe that, historically, women have been viewed as homemaking/nurturing/caregivers. I also believe that to this day, there's still a double standard by which successful working women are measured more harshly than men. This is neither a trade secret nor fair. Although as a society we'd like to think we've progressed beyond this--No, we haven't. So because of this, imo, women must work smarter. This, and don't do dumb sh!# to intentionally hurt other women who are also navigating their own path through the patriarchy....

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Soapfan54 View Post

                  I agree, Rubythroat. I believe that, historically, women have been viewed as homemaking/nurturing/caregivers. I also believe that to this day, there's still a double standard by which successful working women are measured more harshly than men. This is neither a trade secret nor fair. Although as a society we'd like to think we've progressed beyond this--No, we haven't. So because of this, imo, women must work smarter. This, and don't do dumb sh!# to intentionally hurt other women who are also navigating their own path through the patriarchy....
                  Yes. I worked in ER, and the male nurses got paid more than the ladies. Still do. Especially if they are managers.

                  In terms of RB, I believe she has Bipolar D/O, as many in the entertainment industry do. Unfortunately that sometimes makes them have "grandiose ideas"
                  and thought disorder. RB doing her own interview, illustrates that.

                  Comment


                  • Soapfan54
                    Soapfan54 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Again, agreement. After I divorced my abusive husband many years ago, I chose not to remarry and became a "single" parent/breadwinner. The males in my workplace(s) consistently did not consider me an equal "head of household" breadwinner (rolling eyes emoji).

                    I am personally acquainted w/two families--each has a member affected w/BPD. Oy vey! It's complicated and difficult for these families. I imagine for RB's family, it's just as difficult and complicated. There are some issues in life that even money can't solve.

                  • Rubythroat1
                    Rubythroat1 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Very true. The only reason I understand the complications of mental illness, is that I worked in the field for 40 years.
                    People in the entertainment industry are open to the judgement of a wider audience.

                • Oh Lord, I just saw clip about Rosanne B. on The View, ranting wildly about the "misunderstanding about S.Jarrett " who was on the View as a guest.
                  Roseanne appears to be in serious need of mental health intervention. She is apparently supposed to be on Fox tomorrow (for those who actually watch that ).

                  Comment


                  • Rosanne looks like she needs to be in a mental hospital or something.

                    Comment

                    Google Matched Content

                    Collapse

                    Bottom of Page

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X