Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houdini and Doyle--new show

This new show is being advertised as "Ex-Files" of the Victorian era. (or the beginning of the Edwardian) There is a hint of the supernatural in the episodes, which is generally debunked by the end of the episode. My one question, is that since there are three individuals ( the supposed first female police officer in the force) and the female member of the trio is not mentioned in the title. Is this supposed to reflect the misogyny of the time in the professional workplace? If the series lasts another season, one would hope the lady's name is included! I am still watching in hope.

the point of the title is fictional. it's all about the fact that they were both known about at the same time, on opposite ends of the spiritual spectrum, you know? but as far as i've read( and that's alot, with houdini) i domn't think they ever met face to face in real life.
    as for our detective stratton, YOU GO GIRL! YES, she deserves a name in the title! ...she won't get it, and that's okay, because she'll STILL be important to US, right?

*edited to say this* i LOVE watching her slap them down, just like waverley does on WE with doc&dolls!*
    Last edited by mamabarri; May 17, 2016, 12:09 AM.

Comment

There is a film called "Fairy Tale" which I have on DVD, with Peter O'Toole as Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Harvey Keitel as Houdini, and they are investigating a "fairy" sighting in the English countryside. It is possible that they did meet in this instance, as this was a fictionalized version of a real occurrance. Conan Doyle was very involved in the occult, especially after the death of his son Jack in the war.
      Doyle is the believer, and Houdini is the debunker, as in X-Files. I'm not sure who our lady cop is.

Comment

really? very cool ruby, thanks for the info! hopefully netflix has the movie!
        as for detective stratton, GOTTA have a female interest for the guys, and having a strong woman who doesn't take any crap is always a good thing.
        i'm hoping this stays good, i really enjoyed episode 2!

Comment

YAY! they have it on dvd! thank you again!

Comment

^^^ Thanks MMB; I'm not sure I like the fact that Houdini is "sort of dating" our lady cop. I don't want the show to get all soapy or sentimental. Houdini is SO quirky, as well. The last time I saw this actor, he was a drug addict and traffiker who got Sherlock Holmes back on the cocaine, in Elementary. He had strange eyes.

Comment

i've seen him in something else too, it's making me crazy because i'm trying to bring up the memory instead of going to IMDB, lol! * no offense to my old guy, but his eyes look like that too!*

Comment

This last episode showed H&D (which should be Houdini, Doyle and Stratton) really hitting it's stride. Our Canadian girl Emily Hampshire (from Schitt's Creek) was wonderful as Madame Korsza, the medium. Good with two different accents, one South London, and European. The episode had elements of one of Sherlock Holmes mysteries. I like that there is a touch of humour here and there as well. My shock when I realized that Houdini's Mama was played by Diana Quick (Brideshead Revisited and the partner of Bill Nighy) was complete.

Comment

is that who she is? i KNEW i recognised her!! she's a beautiful older woman, and a great casting as houdini's mama!
                  a friend from canada told me this show is based on a show called the murdoch mysteries, i haven't seen it, have you?

Comment

Originally posted by mamabarri View Post
                    is that who she is? i KNEW i recognised her!! she's a beautiful older woman, and a great casting as houdini's mama!
                    a friend from canada told me this show is based on a show called the murdoch mysteries, i haven't seen it, have you?
                    Yes. It is also made by the people who did "House", and used the tagline "X Files " of turn of the twentieth century. A mixed bag obviously. Interesting that the actor who plays Houdini,
                    played a character in "Elementary" opposite Sherlock Holmes. I think that the show has a lot of promise, and I will stick with it.

Comment

i think i will too, it's getting better every episode! thanks for the info on the other show, i believe it's running on one of my local affiliates so i'll check it out too. i did like house, oddly enough, lol!

Comment

These characters are learning how to play off one another, and it is going to define the show. My daughter swears that the actress playing Stratton reminds her of Hermione from Harry Potter. When the three actors were in a train scene, it was like deja vu from the first train scene in Harry Potter. Harry Houdini is so quirky he probably will make his name with this part.

Comment

I was enjoying Diana Quick as Houdini's mother, then "snap" she gets killed off. I hope this opens up a romantic scenario for this quirky fellow! When he was buried alive by the villain in the graveyard, and rescued by Stratton,
                          the first thing he says is" I'm gonna use this in my act!" ...

Comment

Originally posted by Rubythroat1 View Post
                            These characters are learning how to play off one another, and it is going to define the show.
                            I agree, Rubythroat1 .. I'm enjoying them more & more as the weeks go by.

Comment

Originally posted by Holly99 View Post
                              I agree, Rubythroat1 .. I'm enjoying them more & more as the weeks go by.
                              I just want Stratton's name up there too! After all, they are a threesome!

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X