• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jupiter Jane
    Soap Addict
    • Mar 2004

Law & Order: Special Victims Unit - Season 20

Another favourite of mine (I continue to watch re-runs). I miss Barba so much!!! I posted in a different thread - in all the years Barba was the ADA, we saw nothing of his personal life; and yet as soon as Stone started on the show, we saw his storyline with his sister. But the premiere episode this week had a completely useless scene where Stone was in bed with someone, and another girl entered the bedroom; the scene made me cringe. But my point here is it was a waste of screen time IMO. I know he's grieving for his sister, but I have no interest in Stone's sex life.

I was surprised by Rollins' pregnancy - wonder if Kelli Giddish is pregnant in real life - but I don't recall ever seeing the guy she was having dinner with. My memory is not what it used to me - Does anyone know him?
  • Lanfear
    Soap Addict
    • Apr 2006

I agree totally about the personal stuff with Stone. This has always been a series (all the l&o series) where the main casts personal stories were fairly minor, and trickled out slowly over a long time. He’s gotten more side story in half a season than others have gotten in a decade.

I think I read somewhere that Giddish is pregnant IRL.

Comment

• believeinme246
      Aspiring soap scribe
      • Jan 2015

I used to like this show more. Now it is taking current articles out of the news and showing a viewpoint. I don't remember it being as blatant in the past, although they always pulled from the news, just not necessarily political issues.

I could have done without the Rollins Benson debate on abortion. There was no need. I really disliked the episode that seemed to state that it was okay to harvest organs from children without their parents' consent. I agree with the ickiness of showing Stone in bed with two women, when this show really minimized showing relationships. Even Olivia's were mostly hinted at.

I suppose the writers run out of ideas with time, but I long for the good old Benson Stabler days.

Comment

• samson2
        Soap Addict
        • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Jupiter Jane View Post
        Another favourite of mine (I continue to watch re-runs). I miss Barba so much!!! I posted in a different thread - in all the years Barba was the ADA, we saw nothing of his personal life; and yet as soon as Stone started on the show, we saw his storyline with his sister. But the premiere episode this week had a completely useless scene where Stone was in bed with someone, and another girl entered the bedroom; the scene made me cringe. But my point here is it was a waste of screen time IMO. I know he's grieving for his sister, but I have no interest in Stone's sex life.

I was surprised by Rollins' pregnancy - wonder if Kelli Giddish is pregnant in real life - but I don't recall ever seeing the guy she was having dinner with. My memory is not what it used to me - Does anyone know him?
        Your absolutely correct! I likedBarba...
        Stone not so much...
        The actress must be pregnant, she’s showing.Well it looks like to me .lol
        i have never seen him and a dr?

Comment

• samson2
          Soap Addict
          • Jul 2006

Originally posted by believeinme246 View Post
          I used to like this show more. Now it is taking current articles out of the news and showing a viewpoint. I don't remember it being as blatant in the past, although they always pulled from the news, just not necessarily political issues.

I could have done without the Rollins Benson debate on abortion. There was no need. I really disliked the episode that seemed to state that it was okay to harvest organs from children without their parents' consent. I agree with the ickiness of showing Stone in bed with two women, when this show really minimized showing relationships. Even Olivia's were mostly hinted at.

I suppose the writers run out of ideas with time, but I long for the good old Benson Stabler days.
          Benson and Stabler days !
          Its very political now, even the little girl who’s mom crossed the border and they were separated
          still bringing political ......

Comment

• Emerald Greens
            Aspiring soap scribe
            • Feb 2006

I don’t watch consistently but I often watch older episodes and new ones when I think about it. The episode with the homeless girl was different and interesting.

The most recent one was both shocking and not shocking. I guess I was mostly surprised that Olivia didn’t think a mother could do such a thing. Really? I know they have had cases with mothers who do and would the name Susan Smith ring a bell? I did like how Olivia and Stone didn’t buy her defense.
            The defense attorney was a an annoying jerk. I would rather eat raw meat than have to listen to his nonsense.

I did like Olivia and Amanda’s conversations.

Comment

• believeinme246
              Aspiring soap scribe
              • Jan 2015

I really enjoyed this week's episode where Olivia recognized Cassidy in the old photo. I always wished the two of them would get back together. I won't say more so as not to ruin the episode for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

Comment

• Jupiter Jane
                Jupiter Jane commented
                Editing a comment
                I haven't seen it yet, but it continues to be one of my favourite shows; and I totally love Mariska. However, I feel the opposite re Cassidy. I couldn't stand Cassidy ever, and I hated that relationship..

• OhioStateFan
                OhioStateFan commented
                Editing a comment
                I liked the episode too. Nice seeing Cassidy, always liked him and Olivia as well.
            • Emerald Greens
              Aspiring soap scribe
              • Feb 2006

Another interesting case that looks like it’s going on one direction but ends up going in a different direction.

Amanda didn’t take much maternity time!

Comment

• tosh
                Senior Board Member
                • Jul 2009

20 years and they still have it , great work by the writers

Comment

• believeinme246
                  Aspiring soap scribe
                  • Jan 2015

I just wish Olivia hadn't been given the line 'The Dads still won't allow her to testify.' Why didn't she just say 'Her parents.' That bothered me a bit.

Other than that, it was a fun rollercoaster of twists and turns. The acting is so good and the writing has gotten way better than it was a couple of years ago.

Comment

• tosh
                    Senior Board Member
                    • Jul 2009

Anyone have an idea what this memo could be about
                    Liv think her job could be on the line

Comment

• Emerald Greens
                      Aspiring soap scribe
                      • Feb 2006

Phillip Winchester ( Stone) is leaving the series .

Comment

• Jupiter Jane
                        Jupiter Jane commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Really? Wow hadn't heard this. He's OK but don't really care that much. I still miss my Barba !!!

I'm also still a bit irritated that so much time was spent on his personal life, right from the beginning; Never happened with anyone else who were long time characters - at least not in the same way. I still have images in my head of his scene with two women in his bed, yuk.
                        Last edited by Jupiter Jane; March 30, 2019, 04:10 PM.

• Emerald Greens
                        Emerald Greens commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I get a lot of information on the IMDB but it’s was an article from Variety.

From what he said it didn’t sound like his decision. He was alright I guess but compared to some of the other ADAs he didn’t stand out to me very much. I also like Barba .
                        Last edited by Emerald Greens; March 30, 2019, 05:43 PM.
                    • believeinme246
                      Aspiring soap scribe
                      • Jan 2015

Yes! That scene was the biggest WTF moment for me. I don't know what the writers were trying to show. When they had the episode where he didn't remember whether he'd committed rape, I was wondering whether that scene would be discussed, but it wasn't. I don't mind if he has a wild social life, but I don't know how it fit into this story. We hadn't seen that with other characters.

Still, I like the actor and I was hoping that something interesting was going to happen with the character and his ability to see through alibis. Oh well.

After the first two DAs, that position has always been a revolving door on this show.

Comment

• Jupiter Jane
                        Soap Addict
                        • Mar 2004

[QUOTE=believeinme246;
                        After the first two DAs, that position has always been a revolving door on this show.[/QUOTE]

Rafael Barbs was my favourite ADA - loved him; and before that, Alex Cabot (Stephanie March) - really liked her too. But couldn't stand Casey (Diane Neal).

I wonder if it was Winchester's choice to leave or he was let go. He seems to be leaving on good terms with the show based on his announcement - but I always like to know LOL.

Comment

• believeinme246
                          Aspiring soap scribe
                          • Jan 2015

I don't like how Barba was written off. I thought that there was still a lot of story to tell with him.

I loved Alex Cabot's first run, but when she returned, it seemed that the writers framed her as a star rather than the simple DA that she was. She was understated the first time. I think that's what I liked about her, whereas when she returned she was a bit larger than life. Now as for Casey, I always wondered if I was unusually harsh on her because I was so upset that Alex was killed, not knowing the WPP angle. Then when she lost her job I felt bad for her and when I watch reruns, she was pretty good. I guess it's all how you frame your viewing.

Here is a bit of trivia. I read a long time ago that the Olivia character was directed to act as if she had a crush on Alex Cabot. I never saw it but there was a lot of conversation as to whether Olivia would come out. Then several seasons later, she began to date men on the show. I had never picked up on anything between her and Alex and sometimes they were sheer adversaries. Did you pick up on those feelings way back?

Comment

• Jupiter Jane
                            Jupiter Jane commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I didn't like Barba's last episode either; it was Raul Esparza's choice to leave, but I still would have preferred a different goodbye.

Alex came back twice didn't she? First time when she showed up to testify and the team didn't know she was alive; then there was that sl where she was helping abused women. Much as I loved Stephanie March in the role, like you I preferred seeing her in the straightforward ADA role.

As for your triivia - OMG I've never heard anything about this. And no, I never picked up on anything like this at all, either with Alex or anyone else; maybe they changed direction for Olivia's character; and her many relationships have been interesting and diverse.. I read an article once about all of Olivia's relationships - the one that I absolutely hated was Cassidy - both times they were together. Couldn't stand the character and I still think of the actor in this role any time I've seen him.

• tosh
                            tosh commented
                            Editing a comment
                            If you can identify when season this took place i will take a look.
                            There are many episodes i will like to watch again but can't remember the season or episode name.
                            The guide on directv use give the season episode something like this s07e11 but not anymore

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X