• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • knotsfan
    Senior Board Member
    • May 2017

Why aren't people watching Dynasty?!?

It's got a killer cast- Nicollette Sheridan, Grant Show, and Alan Dale are familiar faces, the newbies are (for the most part) excellent, it's a reboot of a popular and iconic series, it's very faithful to the original but still has twists and turns, and the characters are represented by Caucasians, African Americans, Latinos, and gays- yet no one is really talking about it here or anywhere else. What's going on here, folks?

And don't even get me started on Maddison Brown,who joined this season as Kirby Anders. I am a gay man, but even I can recognize that this woman is beautiful! I love Kirby already, and I wish this actress was the one playing Fallon- she seems to be a psychotic b!tch but still comes across as likable, a quality Elizabeth Gilles as Fallon doesn't always have. Their confrontation in the nightclub was fun to watch, and I can't wait to see them go at it again, and again, and again...

What do other people think of the second season so far?
  • Asa1983
    Day Player
    • Mar 2017

I've seen a few episodes and will probably binge watch it at some point. My problem with it is that it would work great on it's on, but it is NOT Dynasty. If they hadn't stuck the name on there and named the characters the same, I'd be much more into it.

Comment

• Jagger1966
      Board Regular
      • Sep 2005

I love this show. It's the one thing I look forward to all week. I'm not crazy about the departures of Cristal and Steven but this show has some of the best one-liners on television.

Comment

• GuidingLite
        Aspiring soap scribe
        • Sep 2004

Hmmmmm....here's my take (and why I'm not watching it).....

- John Forsythe was 62 when the show first aired - Grant Show is 56, but looks young still....he doesn't have the 'experienced businessman and trusted patriarch' look that John Forsythe had....true Blake in 2018 is similar to Blake in 1982, but....Grant Show does not have the charisma of John Forsythe.

- Blake Carrington adored his children - yes he had his struggles with Steven being gay, and tried to get custody of Steven's son because Steven was gay....but he still adored his children.....and this Blake is not above using his children to get what he wants....

- Nicolette Sheridan.....she's too 'purposely' campy....Joan Collins took campy material and rose above it.....Nicolette Sheridan doesn't have that....so it makes Alexis look cartoonish....Joan Collins played Alexis with class and a coolness that would be very hard to recapture. Nicolette Sheridan just plays her like a charicature.

- Some of the 'changes' are interesting...like Claudia seeing 'Matthew' as an apparition.....like Sammy Jo being male....sure, that's fine, but the whole Jeff Colby/Blake Carrington rivalry is lame....making Jeff and Monica Carringtons is lame...Michael Culhane was a useless character on the original show not worth reviving for this show.......

- I loved, loved, loved when Diahann Carroll joined the cast as Dominique....an African American 'love child' of Tom Carrington - by making the Colby Kids Carringtons, they have completely and utterly diminished the 'mysteriousness' of Tom Carrington having an A-A mistress......bad choice....

- Fallon - she was stuck up, yes, she was blunt, yes, but she was still vulnerable....and she adored and idolized her father - this Fallon is a power hungry bitch who will mow down anyone in her path.....

There's a lot more, but....this is just not 'Dynasty'......nothing ever will be.....I'd rather see a 'continuation' of shows like these than a remake......just like Falcon Crest - that show could do a terrific continuation.....
        Last edited by GuidingLite; November 28, 2018, 11:32 AM.

Comment

• shadamlovin
          shadamlovin commented
          Editing a comment
          I would have much rather had a continuation with Dynasty than a reboot as well. I have to say Falcon Crest really messed up in the last few seasons by killing Melissa and later Maggie. I'm not sure how I would feel about a continuation without those two characters.
      • namers
        Executive Poster
        • Jun 2008

I'm watching! Me, me! It's so campy and they break out in song; too funny. Elizabeth Gillies rocks it out of the park as Fallon. Grant Show is a kick. I don't know what happened to the former Cristal (nee Krystal) but in no less than 6 shows this season, an actor left so I'll just get used to Daniella Alonso.

Comment

• chandon1
          Contract Poster
          • Aug 2019

I watched it a couple of times.

It was such a poor imitation I couldn't go back.

There are times that I LOVE a reboot for example I LOVED the brand new cast of The Star Trek movies...they improved the series with the new actors they chose.

But, the choices for the actors in the reboot of Dynasty was .....lacking.

I'm NOT a big joan Collins fan but she made the show as did JF as Blake.

Comment

• Smithey
            Board Regular
            • Feb 2018

I watched the first half of the first season. I don't know how its stayed on for this long without being canceled. If they wanted to make a continuation, that is one thing, but this reboot was and is terrible. I tried watching it this fall. All I can say is the CW must be making money on it somewhere or it would have already been canceled.

Comment

• GuidingLite
              GuidingLite commented
              Editing a comment
              Again we agree, Smithey - I know that with John Forsythe gone, it would be a different animal, but.....I'd watch Danny Carrington, Lauren Colby, Blake Colby (no more L.B.) and Krystina Carrington as the leads in a continuation series...have it open with Blake's death and burial, and reveal that he was remarried to Alexis at the time of his death....for some unknown reason....and Krystle is the poor ex-wife cut out of Blake's fortune....Krystina siding with her mother and resenting this....and a rivalry exists between Krystina and Lauren, who is the business protege of Alexis...and heir apparent to ColbyCo - have Steven, Jeff, Fallon, and Adam as cast members, Adam married to Sammy Jo...have Jeff running Denver Carrington as per Blake's will - have someone trying to ruin both companies from the outside....a not so dead as believed Claudia....a La Mirage maid having died trying to save her and mistakenly identified as Claudia back when....and have Danny estranged from his father because Steven is gay....so much they could do with a continuation series.....
          • namers
            Executive Poster
            • Jun 2008

I don't care that this incarnation doesn't resemble the original: I think it's a hoot. They drip in sarcasm and still have the familial problems they've always had. The Dysfunction Dynasty. Works for me.

Krystal, why are you flirting/kissing a man of the cloth?

I just love Elizabeth Gillies. She's so over the top and gorgeous to boot. Fallon is "all about kindness". Ha!

Few people do biatch as well as Sharon Lawrence.

"After a wife or three, marriage isn't easy." Looks like wife four is coming down the pike.

"Aunt Alexis".

Comment

• namers
              Executive Poster
              • Jun 2008

I love when Fallon tries really really hard to be caring. To Krystal, "You look glowy" and it ain't the exercise bike, cheater! You're going to hell, priest.

Colby and Adam in the closet.

I wouldn't go to Taylor Swift either.

Blake feels guilty with a $2,000,000 necklace. Oh to be rich rich cheating rich.

The secret sorority handshake. Hey, nothing wrong with Starship: Octopus is a great album! Great rendition of Leather & Lace (Stevie Nicks & Don Henley).

Great sparkly gowns.

So much shrimp cocktail, so little time.

Blake and Anders were kidnapped. The horror!

Comment

• imcandyman
                Board Regular
                • Jul 2011

I didn’t get into the original Dynasty. It always felt “fake” to me. But o was a huge Knots Landing fan. But longing for old nighttime soaps, I have been watching new Dynasty and as bad as it is, I actually like it. I mean, clearly it’s written for a younger audience- possibly teens. And the overacting is terrible. But there is still something I like. Maybe it’s the fact that it’s lighter, and I don’t feel invested in the characters - it’s just fun. (I do feel like Fallon is always yelling at me in her scenes, but that could be her Nickelodeon child star origins)

I do wish they could somehow bring back Nicolette Sheridan. Not liking the current Alexis. And having 3 Cristals- a little too much. I totally understand why people don’t watch. It’s terrible- but moderately enjoyable.

Comment

• namers
                  Executive Poster
                  • Jun 2008

Fallon's 1000 page pre-nup.

Mother/son caper.

Yeah, Cristal really wants to leave, Blake.

Nobody is that drunk, are they? Fallon married a stripper someone else because she was mad at Liam. Oy and vey.

Alexis barges in on Jeff and Mia.

"Felon," , Kirby and Sam rob store. Again, never that drunk.

Moldavia!

Jeeves is investigating Blake.

Alexis likes being Mrs. Colby. Mr. Colby, not so much.

Adam: fight the fight!

Alexis to Jeff, "...letting you see the real me." Jeff, "this is the 3rd real you".

Carrington Atlantic and refinery fires. Moldavia!

Jail pics.

Daddy deranged dearest?

Comment

• tiff5555
                    Aspiring soap scribe
                    • Jul 2007

Did the show renewed?????????????

Comment

• soapgirl9
                      soapgirl9 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The CW renewed it for a season four, but they don't know when the new episodes will air. https://www.newsweek.com/dynasty-sea...-delay-1506436

• tiff5555
                      tiff5555 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank you! Still going strong! I am soo upset that the 90210 reboot never got a second chance It was cheesy but that kid got me interested that Jason could be his father. Ugh...

• namers
                      namers commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I liked the reboot too but they should have used all the real spouses which confused people.
                  • GConnDi
                    Senior Board Member
                    • Dec 2012

The Actual Reboot was 2009.
                    It had Lori Loughlin,Rob Estes.
                    The 2019 one was more realty TV then anything else.

Comment

• cole'sgal
                      Board Regular
                      • Feb 2018

Originally posted by GuidingLite View Post
                      Hmmmmm....here's my take (and why I'm not watching it).....

- John Forsythe was 62 when the show first aired - Grant Show is 56, but looks young still....he doesn't have the 'experienced businessman and trusted patriarch' look that John Forsythe had....true Blake in 2018 is similar to Blake in 1982, but....Grant Show does not have the charisma of John Forsythe.

- Blake Carrington adored his children - yes he had his struggles with Steven being gay, and tried to get custody of Steven's son because Steven was gay....but he still adored his children.....and this Blake is not above using his children to get what he wants....

- Nicolette Sheridan.....she's too 'purposely' campy....Joan Collins took campy material and rose above it.....Nicolette Sheridan doesn't have that....so it makes Alexis look cartoonish....Joan Collins played Alexis with class and a coolness that would be very hard to recapture. Nicolette Sheridan just plays her like a charicature.

- Some of the 'changes' are interesting...like Claudia seeing 'Matthew' as an apparition.....like Sammy Jo being male....sure, that's fine, but the whole Jeff Colby/Blake Carrington rivalry is lame....making Jeff and Monica Carringtons is lame...Michael Culhane was a useless character on the original show not worth reviving for this show.......

- I loved, loved, loved when Diahann Carroll joined the cast as Dominique....an African American 'love child' of Tom Carrington - by making the Colby Kids Carringtons, they have completely and utterly diminished the 'mysteriousness' of Tom Carrington having an A-A mistress......bad choice....

- Fallon - she was stuck up, yes, she was blunt, yes, but she was still vulnerable....and she adored and idolized her father - this Fallon is a power hungry bitch who will mow down anyone in her path.....

There's a lot more, but....this is just not 'Dynasty'......nothing ever will be.....I'd rather see a 'continuation' of shows like these than a remake......just like Falcon Crest - that show could do a terrific continuation.....
                      You said it all for sure. I miss Dex. Best-looking and most honest guy on the original.

Comment

• jpa777
                        Soap Addict
                        • Feb 2013

This show is a scream. Give it a chance.....It’s like a combo of the original Dynasty, Desperate Housewives, Melrose Place, ....drama, action, comedy. Watching Season 4 episode 3.

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X