Ad Below Title

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let’s revive Dark Shadows

The attempt at prime time for DS before was ill timed. I wanna see a new revival with definately nods to its roots but allowed to grow from there. Certainly,!the Collins family would have to be front and center.

Any other takers??

How many seasons did the show have?

With good writers, and actors, I don't see why not.

Comment

Did there have a movie a few years ago ?

Comment

Only one season. There were lots of interruptions as it began airing as the first Gulf War was breaking out. Many time episodes were delayed or interrupted for live coverage of the war.

As for the movie - the less said the better.

Comment

Michelle Piffer wanted to do a sequel ........................

Comment

The movie was (and I didn't even see it) an atrocity....the show was 'unintentionally' campy at times....it was a soap opera....the 1991 revival was darker and more gothic.....but the movie went for slapstick humor and it was atrocious....a stain on the show's legacy....If Michelle Pfieffer wants to come on board a t.v. show as Elizabeth Stoddard then fine, but the role needs to be played more seriously....not camp....and no Johnny Depp anywhere in sight.....they can gender bend some roles...Willie Loomis can be a woman....Willa Loomis....and the former lover of Roger Collins....they could reveal that David Collins, son of Roger and Laura Collins is actually Willa's son but she felt herself incapable of raising a child so she gave him to his biological father and his wife to raise...and Laura agreed to it to protect Roger's reputation...there's all sorts of new angles to take on the story of the Collins family with Barnabas the vampire rising after 200 years in his coffin...have Collinsport History used for storylines...it would be very easy to modernize it....

I would DEFINITELY watch another Dark Shadows series....Netflix or Hulu or Amazon Prime would be ideal for it.....they are all developing original content and programming.....they can make 13 episode seasons of the show....not have to cow-tow to censors and network t.v. morality....I'd love to see it happen....

Comment

Maybe HBO or even the one that does Riverdale. The original Dark Shadows ran for five years.

Comment

Originally posted by Emerald Greens View Post
                Maybe HBO or even the one that does Riverdale. The original Dark Shadows ran for five years.
                The CW is the home of Riverdale, and their predecessor the WB attempted to revive DS in 2004, but it didn't get picked up. But, I could see it fitting in there now.

Comment

Yup - I think with the Twilight Saga and The Vampire Diaries, and The Originals all having emerged....Dark Shadows, if well made, would do well now....there are a number of zombie series/films riding off the success of The Walking Dead....I think Dark Shadows is definitely 'low hanging fruit' for a successful revival right now.....if you look at the history of the 1960's soap opera...there were SO many characters they introduced over time...classic stories they told their own version of.....you don't have to stick with the same characters aside from Barnabas and the present day Collins family...you can swap genders for some of them (Julia Hoffman could be Julius Hoffman, a male...), there are just so many ways to remake Dark Shadows and make it appeal to both long-time fans and modern audiences....reboots and revivals are a hot commodity right now...and many are successful....

I think when the 1991 revival appeared, they did enough 'differently' to make it fresh.....it was Victoria, rather than Maggie Evans, who resembled Josette DuPres...Roger Collins was sleeping with Maggie Evans....the creator of the show, Dan Curtis, even said that in introducing the 1991 revival show, he found that the original plots and scripts were full of material they just couldn't use, so the characters were much the same, but their actions were different....the 1991 revival was meant to be a long-term show, not just a mini-series.....telling very similar stories to ones from the 1960's, but...in a far more streamlined way....the same could be done today.....
                  Last edited by GuidingLite; July 25th, 2018, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Another place that may be a good home for a new DS could be Netflix or Hulu.

Comment

I would looove Dark Shadows back. I did not have recording devices back then and it was always on when I was at school!
                      Many of the main actors are passed on now. It was one of a kind cult soap. Bring it on! The movie with Johnny Depp
                      did not capture the essence at all.

Comment

The actress that played Maggie Evans is alive. As is the actress that played Angelique.

The actress that played Magguebwould be a good cast for Elizabeth. The actress that played Angelique could play a Collins in the past or maybe give Maggie a mom rather than a dad in the new show.

Comment

Originally posted by CassadineSon View Post
                          The actress that played Maggie Evans is alive. As is the actress that played Angelique.

The actress that played Magguebwould be a good cast for Elizabeth. The actress that played Angelique could play a Collins in the past or maybe give Maggie a mom rather than a dad in the new show.
                          Yes. John Karlen (Willie Loomis--and others) is still with us.

Comment

It just occurred to me that Dark Shadows was a daytime "cult horror" soap. Not primetime at all.
                            It should be revived in the same format, but I fear it will end up "tongue in cheek" and campy, rather than
                            truly creepy. Remember that soap where Juliet Mills played a witch and had a "little person" as her familiar?
                            Not looking for that. Was that "Passions"?

Comment

• Emerald Greens
                              Emerald Greens commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Yes that was Passions . Juliet’s character was done in tribute to Bewitched she played Tabitha and had a daughter she named Endora . She said her parents were Darrian and Samantha Stephens .

I watched the original series when the SciFi channel was airing it . But I have vague memories of seeing it as a very small child . It must have been towards the end . Characters like Daphne and Gerard would be on. It was creepy and I didn’t understand it much. I couldn’t watch too close in case my mom caught me watching! Lol
                            I grew to love Angelique. Loved Quentin too and of course Barnabas . I liked the time travel episodes . John Karlan and Nancy Barrett played opposite each other as different characters so well.

Had the show continued I think Kate Jackson could have played Victoria Winters and finally do a good recast.

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X