• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rudolfo
    Day Player
    • Apr 2018

The Dallas reboot...

Just wasn't that good, actually it was terrible, I tuned in to see JR again lol, the budget was too low I think, the set was terrible! the Ewing mansion looked like it was furnished by IKEA!
  • Emerald Greens
    Aspiring soap scribe
    • Feb 2006

They also brought on a family we never heard of but were supposed to important to the Ewing’s for decades .

The younger characters were not likable or interesting for the most part.

Comment

• Asa1983
      Day Player
      • Mar 2017

They ruined Cliff Barnes, as much as he hated JR and the Ewings he would NEVER have blown up an oil rig that his pregnant daughter, not to mention his beloved sister's adopted son, was on.

Plus, why create a new Hispanic maid and her family, when they could have just used Teresa and Raoul, since we already knew of them and they really would have had a long term connection to the Ewings.
      Last edited by Asa1983; June 29, 2018, 10:03 PM. Reason: misspelling

Comment

• GHKissOff
        Soap Addict
        • May 2007

There were some good aspects to the new show like having original cast members in it and bringing into the future with the next generation, good premise. But than it started to fall apart with that younger generation don't get me wrong liked John Ross, liked Christopher and Pam (daughter of Cliff and Afton) but couldn't stand dull as dirt Hispanic girl whose family came out of nowhere and apparently worked for the Ewings for years where she grew up really why is this the first I heard of her. What's worse is Pam was a far more layered character with plenty of fire yet this dull as dirt girl who was Dallas answer to Sominex was the main object of desire for John Ross and Christopher making a dull boring triangle where she acted judgemental as she cheated on John Ross with his cousin but acted justified in doing so, all the while I am thinking Pam was a far better choice for these two to be fighting over, after all she wasn't a blood relative of Christopher he was adopted and knew this. But no we had Miss boring judgmental walking around the object of desire and I could never figure out why no wonder when Larry Hagman died this thing didn't last, with stuff like this at the heart of the whole thing not hard to figure out.

Comment

• GuidingLite
          Aspiring soap scribe
          • Sep 2004

I have to agree - I didn't like Elena AT ALL, and REALLY disliked when her brother started calling her 'Ellie'..........

To me, this is where the show went wrong:

- The JR/Bobby rivalry as brothers was the catalyst for so much conflict...Bobby wanting to do business honestly, JR wanting to impress his daddy....there was never a romantic rivalry between them...never a fight for the same girl....that was a misstep with Christopher and John Ross...it should never have been over a girl....and especially not a girl that the history there was 'invented' just for the revival....I would have opened the show with an episode called 'Digger's Granddaughter' and had John Ross and Pamela showing up at J.R.'s 'nursing home' and announcing their marriage to him....and have THAT be what brings J.R. out of 'exile' and back to SouthFork....an homage to the original series and the first episode, Digger's Daughter, with Bobby and Pam coming home to announce their marriage to the family....and that blows the former feud wide open again....

- Cliff - what they did with his character was horrible....at the end of the show, Cliff wasn't vengeful any longer....he took over Ewing Oil....he'd finally gotten what he felt his father was robbed of. He NEVER would have planted the bomb on the oil rig with Pamela there...he wasn't above 'using' someone to get what he wanted, but he never would have done that...I didn't care at all what anyone did to him after that....even jailing him with a set-up...he was irredeemable to me after the bomb on the oil rig....actually pimping out his daughter to his nephew...and for what purpose? He had no clue that John Ross would strike oil and Christopher's methane extraction project would work...why was he trying to force a marriage between Pamela and Christopher....first cousins! And had Christopher had zero contact with Cliff and his daughter over time? Really? Cliff loved Christopher in the original show...he wasn't a very present uncle, but he wasn't out to hurt him either....

- There was not enough 'research' done into the history of the show (the head writer admitted that with the Cattle Barons' Ball taking place instead of the Oil Barons' Ball) - it made sense because the Ewings were not in the oil business any longer, but....it should have been held until season 2...the Ewing Family reappearing at the Oil Barons' Ball after many years away....and saying that Ms. Ellie was in a mental hospital when Jock died? WHAT??? What a complete and utter disservice to the character's memory.....

-Not enough Ewings....too many 'new characters' in the cast.....Elena, her mother, her brother, Anne, Harris, Judith, Emma.....Nicolas Trevino....too many newbies...Anne was likeable enough, but they should have introduced someone from the original show who Bobby had married....not Anne 'I'm an old friend of Sue Ellen's' Ryland.....

-The Ryland/Ewing rivalry....ugh....I love Mitch Pileggi....I really do....but....they could have done a lot better....they had 14 seasons of Dallas to look for a rival to J.R. and Bobby....someone connected to Jeremy Wendell...or Vaughn Leland....long time rivals of J.R.'s.....or Cliff....he was more like a 'guest star' in the new series....should have been far more prominent....

-Katherine was dead....Pam was dead......way to cut off your nose to spite your face.....Pam I can understand but Katherine? And why would Katherine have left her shares in Barnes/Wentworth (eventually Barnes Global) to CLIFF of all people....she hated him.....she'd have willed her shares to J.R. Ewing before she would have willed them to Cliff....HUGE misstep there......

Comment

• shadamlovin
            Senior Board Member
            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by GHKissOff View Post
            There were some good aspects to the new show like having original cast members in it and bringing into the future with the next generation, good premise. But than it started to fall apart with that younger generation don't get me wrong liked John Ross, liked Christopher and Pam (daughter of Cliff and Afton) but couldn't stand dull as dirt Hispanic girl whose family came out of nowhere and apparently worked for the Ewings for years where she grew up really why is this the first I heard of her. What's worse is Pam was a far more layered character with plenty of fire yet this dull as dirt girl who was Dallas answer to Sominex was the main object of desire for John Ross and Christopher making a dull boring triangle where she acted judgemental as she cheated on John Ross with his cousin but acted justified in doing so, all the while I am thinking Pam was a far better choice for these two to be fighting over, after all she wasn't a blood relative of Christopher he was adopted and knew this. But no we had Miss boring judgmental walking around the object of desire and I could never figure out why no wonder when Larry Hagman died this thing didn't last, with stuff like this at the heart of the whole thing not hard to figure out.
            Yes. The show completely missed the boat on completing the next generation for DALLAS. They brought Ray back but no mention of Lucas, Bobby's biological son. What about Charley? , the girl he thought was his daughter for a while. You also had cousins Bobby and Betsy. There was too much emphasis on the new characters created than bring in the next generation or the vets of the show. While I like Ann's ex-husband as a nemesis, but their family soon became more of an emphasis along with Jordanna's character and family. (And I never fully got over her cheating on JR Ross after excepting his proposal 24hrs before...) I'm just disappoint the show didn't make it past three seasons. It had a good premise just not executed as well.

Comment

• Emerald Greens
              Aspiring soap scribe
              • Feb 2006

I liked the idea of John Ross having a sister but killing Christopher was awful.
              I had forgotten all of what happened with Pam by that point in the original Dallas I didn’t was as closely. I think it still could have played out better than to have Cliff behind some scam.

I don’t know if the could use Betsy and Bobby as they were Knots Landing characters but they didn’t even bring Ray’s daughter Margaret on.

Comment

• dee2
                I Let My Evil Twin Post For Me
                • Dec 2015

I liked it as long as LH was on, after, not so much. I still missed Pam.

Comment

• GuidingLite
                  Aspiring soap scribe
                  • Sep 2004

I so wish they had been able to lure VP back as Pam.......I, too, hated the Ramos family addition....they should have used Raoul and Teresa, but....John Ross and Christopher were already 10, 11 years old when the show ended...and Raoul and Teresa did not have a child then, so....it still would have been forced....

I would have begun the show with John Ross going to see J.R., in a retirement home still, and bringing Pamela Rebecca with him as his bride....just like Bobby bringing 'Digger's Daughter' home to Southfork in the original....and the family's disapproval when they learned who she was...and that would be what lured J.R. back to Southfork and back into business....to go up against Cliff again and break up John Ross and Pamela.....I'd have given Ewing rival Jeremy Wendell a daughter who was paired with Christopher....by Wendell himself...now out of jail, and eager to ruin Bobby and J.R. finally....

I'd also have used Sue Ellen's film that she had made about J.R. in a story line...have it surface....finally....and have it cause a new scandal for the Ewings....

The show really faltered as they tried to revive the Barnes Ewing feud, and make Harris Ryland a 'big bad' (and his mother, too)...but they just weren't that bad....they were mean, but not that bad....

Comment

• shadamlovin
                    shadamlovin commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I like your ideas. JH had chemistry with everyone, but I honestly hated the couple swap at the beginning of season 2. That seemed too cheesy right out the gate even down to Cliff accidentally causing Pamela Rebecca's miscarriage. This made me think the show's storylines were not thought in terms of what could produce a long-term story and tied to the show's history. It also hurt the show when LH fell ill and passed away. The show needed to build upon its history with next-generation characters.
                • tiff5555
                  Aspiring soap scribe
                  • Jul 2007

Some were sad that the network cancelled the reboot.....Sometimes shows, don't need a reboot, but that Rosanne one, was funny, the promo of their coming was great, people felt connected to it...but Rosanne blew it with her comments of the world news. She just couldn't keep her mouth shut!

Comment

• dee2
                    dee2 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I hope to see Roseann again, on a better network.
                • shadamlovin
                  Senior Board Member
                  • Jan 2011

Originally posted by tiff5555 View Post
                  Some were sad that the network cancelled the reboot.....Sometimes shows, don't need a reboot, but that Rosanne one, was funny, the promo of their coming was great, people felt connected to it...but Rosanne blew it with her comments of the world news. She just couldn't keep her mouth shut!
                  Actually, Dallas was a great idea and concept it was just wasn't execution wasn't done as well. It was also not a reboot in the true sense it was a continuation. I'm not really interested in Rosanne but it is back as The Conners seems fair enough to me.

Comment

• July Baby
                    Aspiring soap scribe
                    • Nov 2010

^^ I agree with everything you said, GuidingLite. Excellent post! I especially love your idea of opening the show with a "Digger's Granddaughter" episode. What a great nod to history that would have been! I also agree wholeheartedly with what you said about Cliff's character and what they did to him - just terrible. They dehumanized him and made him into a monster, which he was not in the original - very flawed, yes - but never a monster like that.

Here are a couple of my observations:

1) One of the things that made the original series so appealing was the family dynamic which was highlighted by the family dinner every night at Southfork - that was central. No matter what else was going in business or their private lives, no matter how much Bobby and JR were at odds, the family came together for drinks and dinner every night, and some of the best and most memorable scenes, with the most memorable lines, barbs and arguments, took place at that dinner table. This was completely missing in the series continuation and I thought that was a big mistake.

(2) Not only did the new characters take over the show with not enough Ewings, but the plots they were involved in, such as the Mexican drug cartel s/l and Ryland's mother's brothel, took up too much of the show, causing the original core of the series to be lost in the shuffle. I realize the drug problem at the border is huge, but it felt to me like that part of the show was over-emphasized at the expense of the core of the series. It seemed like every week someone was murdered, the sheriff/police showed up at Southfork, and someone was arrested, having nothing to do with oil or cattle. The original concept of the show kind of disappeared. After a while I felt like I was watching a whole new series - Law & Order:Texas.

(3) There was such a wealth of characters in the original to choose from - why not bring in some of them to keep the continuity going - such as the son JR fathered with Cally - he could have shown up one day out of the blue to claim his rightful share in the family fortune/business. Or Katherine could have had JR's child after she left Dallas and never told him. There are so many possibilities, the show could have practically written itself. There is no excuse, IMHO, for the lack of research on the show's history. I wish someone else would try again and this time do the research!!!

Comment

• SharikaC
                      Senior Board Member
                      • Oct 2015

I didn't see the Dallas reboot. Don't have cable. Judging from the comments I read on several sites, I probably wouldn't have liked it. I was a huge Dallas fan back in the day. Would love to see reruns of that show again.

Seems that most of the shows I watched that were rebooted either air on cable or Netflix. Only Murphy Brown and Roseanne/The Connors aired on the networks. Will & Grace too, but I never watched that show.

Comment

• DT69
                        Board Regular
                        • May 2012

If you watched the show expecting it to be say 80 percent like the original then you’d be disappointed. I liked it for what it was. But yes it wasn’t the original

Comment

• tosh
                          Senior Board Member
                          • Jul 2009

Would have love to see kally in it with JR son, also pam,ray,lucy ,jenna, etc

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X