Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing an account

I have a question about my sheilafan32 account how do I remove it?
    Last edited by SheilaFan32; August 31, 2018, 09:25 AM.

We don't close accounts unless a poster is permanently banned from using the site. We've had many posters who've decided to take a break from posting, but their account remains in place for them to use down the road, when they decide to participate again.
    Moore ideas
    SOC Moderator
    Please email me with questions or comments.

Dumbledore to Harry:
    "It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

Comment

Thanks for answering

Comment

Hi. I have not watched Y and R in a few years and have no intention of restarting ever. I came on to try to close my account permanently. I didn’t realize when l registered that l was in the Hotel California. (You can checkout any time you like but you can never leave.)
        So basically l have to do something really obnoxiously offensive to get someone to close my account ? There is no pleasant, mutually agreeable way to get my information deleted?
        Can someone let me know if you will please close my account or l guess l will have to get myself banned even though l had always admired and enjoyed Soap Central and l don’t really want to upset Dan and all the subscribers.

Comment

Posters are not required to participate in any conversations or even to visit the site if they don't want to. We have had numerous posters who've lost interest in posting and/or watching their shows who haven't signed in for years, but then return later when something grabs their attention again, or they just decided to participate again. For whatever reason... Or maybe you'll choose never to use your account again, which is also perfectly fine and completely your own personal choice. And we've also had long-term posters (members for more than ten years) who regularly visit the site, but who've never posted anything at all. Ever.

Accounts are tied to individual posting histories, so it does matter whether or not a poster has abided by the rules versus having a history of violations, infractions and bans. Getting banned doesn't necessarily result in a closed account either; a poster would need to be permanently banned for an account to be closed, and that doesn't normally happen right off the bat. Also, we've had posters who were perm banned, due to a long history of continued rule violations, who have later begged us to let them post again -- despite their angry email declarations that they would never set foot here again, so I would strongly advise against sabotaging your posting reputation on purpose, for a result that probably won't end up in a closed account anyway.

My best advice is to just go on about your life and let your account lie dormant until you want to use it again, down the road (maybe there will be a prime time show you'll want to discuss) -- or not. Either way, the account will be here for you, whenever...
          Moore ideas
          SOC Moderator

Dumbledore to Harry:

Comment

I think that if a person wants their account removed it should be an option for them. There is no good reason to not allow it. To say that it can't be done due to posting history is nonsense. I could to through today and remove every post I've put in.

Comment

Originally posted by Whiskey_Sour View Post
              I think that if a person wants their account removed it should be an option for them. There is no good reason to not allow it. To say that it can't be done due to posting history is nonsense. I could to through today and remove every post I've put in.
              I agree...the members should have the right to close their account...it's not like they sold their souls or signed a contract.

I have closed accounts accounts at banks, utility companies and other agencies and there was no hassle.

if a person wants 'out' that is their lawful right...not to be told the account will stay in place in case 'You change your mind." That's very insulting.

Comment

I agree. Posters should have right to remove their account. Why does SoapCentral need our information? Is it used or shared with others?

Comment

No, SOC does not share posters' information with anyone else.

Our policy on not closing accounts is based on our rule that posters are permitted only one account, and new members agree to this rule when they first sign up. Each poster has a posting "reputation" under that individual account, based on their rule violations, infractions and/or bans. The moderators are able to track these things, so if a poster were to close an account (especially if it might be a poster with a problematic posting history) and then open a new one -- then close the second account when that one becomes problematic again, comes back with a third one, requests that one be closed, etc., etc., then that becomes a bit of a nightmare for site administrators and moderators. Also, we've had posters declare that they will no longer post on SOC, and then come back again six months later and start posting again. Sometimes several years later, depending on renewed interest in their shows again. We don't have the time to keep closing and reopening accounts, so those are some of the primary reasons why closing an account isn't an automatic thing. So our policy has been to leave all accounts open for posters to use, or not use, according to their own personal wishes.

Please remember that the administrators and moderators on SOC are all volunteers; we are not paid for what we do, and we donate our time to help the site. We're a mixture of geographic locations, ages, and sex. Some of us have other jobs outside the home, some don't. Most of us have families; there are sometimes health issues, family crises (surgeries, deaths), daily obligations like medical appointments, household maintenance, etc., so we are not on 24/7. My point is that we're just not equipped to "do it all"...

Having said that, we have closed a handful of accounts when the poster absolutely insisted. I've been a moderator for twelve years now, and I really don't think the number of accounts that have been officially and specifically closed (not banned) could be counted on one hand. However, previous members who've insisted that their accounts be closed and then create a brand new account with a new username should expect to have that new account permanently banned.

So, if you don't want to post on SOC, don't post. If you change your mind later, welcome back!
                  Moore ideas
                  SOC Moderator

Dumbledore to Harry:

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X