Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Why are the oldest threads visible less than 2 weeks old?

Collapse

Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ClassyIrishLass
    Day Player
    • Mar 2017

Why are the oldest threads visible less than 2 weeks old?

Hi, I'm new here. I have visited this site several times a week for the last several years and am embarrassed to admit I only last week saw there are forum boards here, which I was thrilled to find, but was quite shocked when I see there is only 2 pages visible and the oldest ones showing are less than 2 weeks old? Why? I have my setting to show threads and posts since the beginning, but it makes no difference. Am I missing something?
  • Moore ideas
    Look! Up in the sky! It's a Super Moderator!
    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by ClassyIrishLass View Post
    I have visited this site several times a week for the last several years and am embarrassed to admit I only last week saw there are forum boards here
    If it makes you feel any better, the same thing happened to me way back in 2005!

To answer your question, all threads begin to scroll off the various boards according to inactivity, moving incrementally towards the back pages. If there hasn't been any activity in a thread after three days, they scroll off permanently.

The good new is that you can save any thread discussion you're enjoying to your computer. Scroll down to the bottom of any page, and look for "Archive" in the dark blue band. Click on that and you'll be taken to a list of active boards. Choose the one you're interested in and find the thread you like. Then you can save it to your computer...

Hope that helps.
    Moore ideas
    SOC Moderator
    Please email me with questions or comments.

Dumbledore to Harry:
    "It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

Comment

• ClassyIrishLass
      Day Player
      • Mar 2017

Thanks for the reply. I belong to several forums for various subjects and have honestly never seen not all the threads and posts visible right from the first day the forum was created. I do think that's the best way to have it so people can go back, waaaay back if they choose. I can think of some forums that you can go back to the first posts made 15 yrs before if that's when the site started. People should have the option to read and or reply to the older posts. I've never seen a forum ever that does this like here.

Comment

• Moore ideas
        • Jul 2005

The first version of Soapcentral was called "AMC Pages" and started in the mid-1990s. This version of the site began in 2004 (I think) and there is just no way that every thread discussion for all the soaps and other shows that exist on this site could be saved over the course of 13 years -- not to mention more than 20 years' worth. It would take up a massive amount of space, and all of those discussions would be way out-of-date.

We do, however, have daily recaps for the soaps, and some of them go back to 1995. While these aren't actual thread discussions, they are, in their own way, a blast back to the past! Enjoy:

Soap opera daily recaps, updates, and summaries for The Young and The Restless, Days of Our Lives, General Hospital, The Bold and the Beautiful, and your favorite past soaps.
        Moore ideas
        SOC Moderator

Dumbledore to Harry:

Comment

• wfreshie2130
          Executive Poster
          • Aug 2016

I wondered about this too,maybe you should get rid of that selection part, since it doesn't work and we have no choice, glad I looked over here to find out!

I totally get that it can't go back years and years,which would take up too much space....but a little longer would be nice

Comment

• ClassyIrishLass
            Day Player
            • Mar 2017

It can go back to day one if they wanted it to, I'm a member of a forum that is nearly 20 yrs old and every post from day 1 is there. Yet text doesn't even take up that much server space, I have my own sites and a dedicated server, it's pics and vids that take up huge amounts of space, which is not even applicable here, so it's just bizarre to me that all posts from day 1 are not visible. They have ads on this site so I would assume there is a bit of profit here, so even 20 yrs of posts in text form would not take up massive amounts of space. I am on several different forum boards for various topics and not one of them does not have every single post visible from day one. This one is the exception, but obviously they are not going to change things because I don't like how they are done. Yet posts for GL and primetime soaps are older, it's all quite bizarre really.
            Last edited by ClassyIrishLass; April 12, 2017, 09:11 AM. Reason: additional thoughts

Comment

• Moore ideas
              • Jul 2005

SOC's owner is always interested in hearing from members of his site, so you might want to contact him directly at [email protected], with your feedback and thoughts about saving older posts. This particular section of the boards is really more for discussing and resolving technical issues, so I'm afraid that we're unable to explain anything beyond the "how" and "what" here, on what is more a decision about site design.
              Moore ideas
              SOC Moderator

Dumbledore to Harry:

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
              Working...
              X