Collapse

Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aside from the annoying video popup from vdopia which I was able to block by disabling JavaScript, I've also had problems with my Kindle Fire Silk browser getting hijacked to the Amazon App Store for non-existent merchandise. I had to disable "External Market Links." I still get a popup but I can just click on that and it goes away. Until the next time it shows up.

I was also getting popups from Kings android games, which would take over the screen too. In addition, there are those popups that say you have a virus and want you to call some company to get rid of them.

All these things only happen on these forums and no other websites when I use my Kindle Fire. My laptop is fine because I use Ghostery and block out everything. It's been a godsend because before this my laptop was twice infected by viruses on this website. But I haven't had a problem since. Too bad they don't have a version for the Kindle Fire browser, because it's annoying having to use different fixes for every popup that takes over my screen. Secunia PSI is also helpful because it alerts you when software needs updating. Hackers exploit the security holes in outdated software.

Anyway, sorry to complain so much, but these are some of the things I've had to deal with over the years, and I wasn't aware there was a Tech Talk section on these forums. Thanks to the moderators for addressing the popup problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by JadedCanuck View Post
      It's happening on my phone now as well.

Right? I posted about this issue over 2 weeks ago and never heard a thing from any admins or tech support here. If it wasn't for Holly suggesting the Adblock, I would still be having this problem and would have stopped coming to the boards all together.

When it started on my phone I tried to pay attention to the ads but they were different each time, so I don't believe it's coming from any one particular ad since there seems to be several different types of pop ups going on.
      I have an Android phone and was looking in the store last night and didn't see anything for Adblock there other than installing another new browser. I really like Chrome lol. I'll look again as I admit I was angry last night.

It has been over 2 weeks since we started posting and all it is doing is getting wore. The site will lose a lot of posters if something isn't done about this or at least let people know what is going on.

Comment

• This has been going on now for a couple of hours.

Comment

• Glad it's not just me! I was afraid some sort of malware was on my laptop! Hopefully, the issue will be solved soon....

Comment

• I guess I'm lucky, I use my iPad for reading the board and never my laptop. FYI, my iPad runs safari and I'm on iOS 9.1 and I have NEVER received an annoying ad or security popup.

Bet if I use my laptop to read the board, it will get infected.

hope you guys resolve this soon.

Comment

• Yep, I thought it was just me. I've been getting the ads and a sever not found message. I've did system restore a few times to get my connection back. I'm going to try the ad block to fix this issue.

Comment

• re: the ap store re-directs... again, it's not us. It's an ad in the block given to us by the syndicate (a different one for Safari running devices than for non-Apple home computers and laptops). It seems every time these things are blocked, a new go-around is devised. So frustrating!

http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/19/mob...#.wn5oo1w:pI0p

Comment

• This site is infected with malicious advertising. The company that serves the ads gets paid for impressions & installs malware on your mobile device / computer to serve them up over and over again.

You can either install ad blockers or on an iPad go to

Settings
                  Safari
                  Clear History and Website Data
                  reopen Safari

In really bad infections, select Reset to Factory Settings

The people at Soap Central are powerless unless they break the contract with the company that serves them up. I recommend they evaluate other partnerships with more trustworthy and ethical advertisers. They do exist.
                  Last edited by bcholly; November 11, 2015, 01:00 PM.

Comment

• I think that it would be great if the mods could put a sticky about this tech forum in the other forums. I didn't even know that it existed until I read about it in an unrelated thread. I also agree that progress updates from the forum administrators would be much appreciated. It's not in anyone's interest for people to be afraid to come to this site.

Comment

• This music video nonsense needs to be fixed yesterday. It's completely blocking access to the boards, I couldn't read a single post for more than 12 hours. It finally stopped for about 2 hours and now it's back again.

Comment

• I can't believe that everyone is getting this annoying thing! When it comes on, I move the bar along quickly so that it disappears.

I can't stand that singer anyway since she licked all of the doughnuts in the doughnut shop.
                        Last edited by Lisa B; November 11, 2015, 04:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Holly99 View Post
                          I was having similar problems .. until I added Chrome Adblock.

After I added Adblock .. my laptop no longer "froze" & all of the other "ad problems" disappeared.
                          Is there a charge for this "Chrome Adblock" and if there is a charge, how much is it? Does it need to be paid every month? Thanks.

Comment

• ^^^
                            Chrome Adblock Plus is free.

Here's the link:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...dilifddb?hl=en

Comment

• Disable JavaScript and see if that helps stop the popup. It worked for me on my Kindle Fire.

Comment

• Chrome Adblock Plus is free.

Here's the link:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...dilifddb?hl=en

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X