• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rubythroat1
    Aspiring soap scribe
    • Jan 2014

Emily in Paris

This is one of those series that I read a lot of great things about and finally got around to it. Wow. Lilly Collins plays a petite little half pint American girl from Chicago who
    wakes up one morning and gets told she is going to work in Paris, in place of her marketing boss who is suddenly pregnant. OK, so I guess I'm going to Paris!
    Her boyfriend is less than enthusiastic. What about him? (immediately you think to yourself, what if the roles were reversed, right?)
    This girl is a marketing wunderkind, and must weigh about 80 pounds. Off she goes, not speaking any French, except Bonjour and Merci, and lands in a hostile territory of smoking
    characters who "work to live, not live to work". Her apartment is on the 6th floor, but labelled the fifth floor and she is lucky she is young and healthy because there is no elevator.
    You get the picture. A new friend assures her that all the Parisians are vile and mean, but do not take it seriously.
    It is impossible not to fall in love with Emily, since nothing ever gets her down. No amount of bullying from her acid tongued lady colleague or nasty assignments ( a vaginal lubricant
    for menopausal women) ever defeats her cheerful attitude or determination. Did you know that the vagina is "le vagin" (masculine)?
    Lilly Collins (Phill Collins daughter) is a phenomenon. She right away starts an ad campaign declaring that the "vagina is NOT masculine" ! I laughed myself silly.
  • kahinamah
    I Let My Evil Twin Post For Me
    • Sep 2019

I love Emily in Paris, being Parisian some things are true, others not to be taken seriously, but it's second degree and you have to know how to laugh about it. I like because the series makes fun of the French but also of the Americans.
    I can't wait for season 3. Can't wait for the return. I love it.

Comment

• Rubythroat1
      Rubythroat1 commented
      Editing a comment
      The whole issue of the attitude of the Parisians towards Americans (and especially Quebecois Canucks) is real. When the lady colleague calls
      Emily a "hick". They refer to the accent of Quebecois "peasant". I have been there. Emily is able to rise above it.
  • Rubythroat1
    Aspiring soap scribe
    • Jan 2014

I think I would be a miserable low-self esteem mess, if I were to face working with Sylvie daily. She always seems to enjoy any mess Emily gets herself into.
    I am of two minds as to the relationship between Gabrielle and his blonde girlfriend. I am not sure if she is a Lesbian, or wants Emily to do "menage a trois" with
    her and Gabrielle. We'll see. Emily is hopelessly American. It is a good thing she has more than one mentor now. She should have jumped at that Influencer job.
    I am amazed at Emily's ability to cope with all this culture shock.

Comment

• militarymom
      Contract Poster
      • Nov 2019

This is a very enjoyable series. Our heroine gets herself into some situations!
      I like Lily Collins, and really enjoy Ashley Park as Mindy.

Comment

• Rubythroat1
        Rubythroat1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Mindy is a total life saver. I loved the scene where they pass off Sancerre Wine as a "breakfast wine" as a panacea
        for morning drinking.
    • Rubythroat1
      Aspiring soap scribe
      • Jan 2014

The episode with Emily visiting the chateau was a hoot. Gabriel's girlfriend's mother uses him as a shopper and chef the minute he gets through the door. Emily escapes the
      chateau to the garden and is plied with champagne by the boy who she thinks is an older brother but who turns out to be the 17 year old younger brother who has just
      lost his virginity to Emily. Emily is horrified because in America you must be 21 to drink acohol and she thinks she has not only deflowered a teen but got him drunk as well.
      In the end, his controlling mother is only wanting reassurance that her son is a good lover! I howled! At least Emily got a contract out of it.

Comment

• Rubythroat1
        Aspiring soap scribe
        • Jan 2014

Sylvie ( the actress) Phillipine Leroy-Beaulieau-- intrigued me because I knew I'd seen her before. Sure enough, she played the young ingenue daughter
        of Stacy Keach in the movie of the Pulp Fiction Romance novel " Mistral's Daughter" a story about a famous painter and his lost loves, models and mistresses.
        Now she has that wonderful slightly ravaged, sexy look of Charlotte Rampling or Jeanne Moreau.

Comment

• namers
          namers commented
          Editing a comment
          Great analogy to them.
      • Rubythroat1
        Aspiring soap scribe
        • Jan 2014

I loved it when Gabriell and Emily finally got together, then Emily found out Sylvie's boyfriend was going to sponsor his restaurant in Paris. Emily is so American and appears
        to have inherited the Puritan gene. Why she just cannot come clean with Gabriell's wealthy French girlfriend and admit they are in love, I do not know. Emily this is France and
        it is not "after school special"! Anyway, my husband is loving the fashion and Lilly Collins must be a size zero!

Comment

• namers
          namers commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, she's tiny with a big presence.
      • kahinamah
        • Sep 2019

In France we do not start work at 10:00 a.m., but at 8:30 a.m. even some at 8:00 a.m.
        We take an hour for lunch, and we finish at 5:00 p.m. or more.
        But one thing is true in France we work to live, while in America the people live to work, here in France we have 5 weeks of paid vacation per year.

Very funny because I can assure you that many French people are even more puritanical than Americans.

All its false details do not bother me, the series is entertainment to make fun of the French and Americans, I like it.

Lilly collins in the past suffered from compulsive eating disorder, anorexia and bulimia, she is healed, but fights every day.
        I love Emily and Gabriel.

Comment

• Rubythroat1
          Rubythroat1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Did you see " Midnight in Paris"? Part of the theme was "golden age thinking" since several characters wished they lived in Paris for example Own Wilson loved the Hemingway/Gertrude Stein era and another loved the " Belle Epoch".
          More than the time they live in.

• kahinamah
          kahinamah commented
          Editing a comment
          Didn't see; it but I'd go and watch it, it was the Paris of before, where everything was possible, the city of lights, it was beauty, today there are only works that never finish, it's dirty, the mayor of Paris does a horrible job, the worst it is Parisians continue to vote for her every year, which I don't understand). Paris was a tourist's dream, now it's hell. In France I like Nantes, Nice.
          In France you have to go to the south (Nice, Cannes, Aix en Provence), or especially to the northwest (Le Mans, Brest, Renne, Saint-Malo, Normandy)

• namers
          namers commented
          Editing a comment
          Famous father pressure, I guess. She's still petite.
      • Rubythroat1
        Aspiring soap scribe
        • Jan 2014

I binged watched four episodes of S2 and Gabriel's new restaurant opening. I loved Mindy's new band--that is how singers get publicized. (Bette Midler started in a gay bath house in Hawaii)
        I'm a foodie so always fascinated by what Gabriel is cooking up. Sylvie does not wear a stich of makeup and yet she looks fabulous even at her age. She has style. And a new guy who likes
        older women. When Sylvie brings in those apple frittes and chocolate croissants, I can't think of anything else!

Comment

• kahinamah
          kahinamah commented
          Editing a comment
          Mindy is my favorite character, I love her voice, she sings divinely well.
          Oh yes Sylvie is incredibly beautiful and natural, Gabriel often makes me hungry.

• Rubythroat1
          Rubythroat1 commented
          Editing a comment
          I hate tripe, but I would try Gabriel's treat!

• namers
          namers commented
          Editing a comment
          Ashley Park is a joy to listen to and watch perform.
      • believeinme246
        Aspiring soap scribe
        • Jan 2015

I really love Mindy's voice a lot. I've seen Emily's boss Sylvie in a lot of French films.

I really enjoyed Gabriel's girlfriend in season one and was annoyed at Gabriel and Emily although their chemistry is palpable. I just enjoyed their friendship so much and the angst annoyed me, because I was rooting for Camille.

Lily Collins is gorgeous. I always loved her Dad's music. I don't think she looks like him, so her mother must have been a bombshell.

Comment

• Rubythroat1
          Rubythroat1 commented
          Editing a comment
          I did not like Camille, who is a spoiled rich girl, ruining Emily's birthday out of spite.
          She had to be totally blind not to see Gabriel's attraction to Emily.
      • Rubythroat1
        Aspiring soap scribe
        • Jan 2014

I once again binge watched to the end of Series 2, and found at the end that to my horror, we were left with a cliffhanger.
        Emily's pregnant boss comes by private jet despite being about 8 months along, and what a "large and in charge" type she is! Emily is wonderful, she manages to get along with everyone.
        This girl-boss is whip smart and good at her job, but has no finesse with "when in Paris, do as the Parisians do" and botches it with Sylvie by one-upping her office.
        Sylvie is no pushover and uses her connections to buy out the company and takes the lads with her, as well as offering Emily a new position.
        The last thing we see is Emily on the phone having made a decision to Sylvie.
        I presume the whole series was shut down due to Covid in Paris.
        I checked and there will definitely be series 3 and 4, but when, no one can say. Groan..........??

Comment

• believeinme246
          Aspiring soap scribe
          • Jan 2015

Emily's boss was creepy to everyone. I like how the team didn't like Emily but she won them over and now her boss is the well deserved object of their scorn. I love how Emily was invited to join her friends. I have to say that Sylvie is gorgeous, and I adore Emily's wardrobe.

Comment

• Rubythroat1
            Rubythroat1 commented
            Editing a comment
            That scene when the waitress asked Sylvie's "son" what he was having at the luncheon, and she said "he's having me"...and embraced him in front
            of all his youthful friends, was priceless.
            I have met and worked with many women like Emily's pregnant boss. However, they were all nurse managers. Real b***breakers!
        • militarymom
          Contract Poster
          • Nov 2019

Season 3 will drop December 21st.

Comment

• Rubythroat1
            Aspiring soap scribe
            • Jan 2014

Yippee...my husband and I love it!

Comment

• kahinamah
              • Sep 2019

Can't wait for season 3, I love this series.

Comment

• Rubythroat1
                Rubythroat1 commented
                Editing a comment
                Best thing on last year. Fashion plus intrigue.
                And comedy.

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
            Working...
            X