Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perry Mason on CRAVE

OOh LaLa--I am no prude--but this series is pretty gritty and graphic. Ain't nothin' they don't show. Including a very awful thing that happens to a kidnapped
    baby. (Shades of The Lindberg Baby). Also a scene where impoverished Perry Mason is on low-rent P.I. work and they rip off the Fatty Arbuckle scandal
    (Chubby Carmichael) and a very large actor/writer does a full frontal in his driveway on Mullholland Drive.
    Fasten your seatbelts if you stick with it. Raymond Chandler with all the gross on screen. (I cannot remember the real author's name)

OK, now I am totally hooked. The second episode has a wonderful interpretation of Aimie Semple McPherson played by Tatiana Maslany. I was mesmerized.
    In fact, all the principal actors were superb. Twists and turns all over the place. Sets and costumes accurate for the dirty thirties.
    A woman has an extra-marital affair in those days, she is automatically an agent of Satan and automatically involved in her own son's kidnap and murder!
    I'm in for the whole series.

Comment

I'm excited and will begin watching this weekend. I used to watch the show when I was younger. Perry Mason and Matlock were so good.

Comment

Originally posted by 80sBaby View Post
        I'm excited and will begin watching this weekend. I used to watch the show when I was younger. Perry Mason and Matlock were so good.
        This Perry Mason has little to do with that 1950's version with Raymond Burr.
        I am thoroughly enjoying this show, which is very graphic, not the teeniest bit "politically correct " (the terms fag and n-word were used although the n word WAS spoken by a
        black male character, not a white man). That was THEN, this is NOW.
        All actors are superb, but my respect goes to Tatiana Maslany as the evangelist being used by her forceful mother. She has epilepsy, and is also a psychic.
        The defense lawyer played by John Lithgow, is ill and saying nothing. I see Perry Mason taking over the case when he collapses.

Comment

The 1st episode laid the foundation, and I'm totally fallen in love with the series with the 2nd episode, I can't wait to see more.
          I knew Perry Mason which dates from 1985, I didn't know it was a sequel of Perry mason from 1950.

Comment

• kahinamah
            kahinamah commented
            Editing a comment
            Okay, for the 1960 version I was not born.
            That of 1985, I watched every evening with mother, here it was broadcast on a big chain on Tuesday evening at 10:30 p.m.

• Rubythroat1
            Rubythroat1 commented
            Editing a comment
            I read some comments about the show and many were negative because they are
            comparing it to earlier interpretations. I am totally riveted by this production.

• kahinamah
            kahinamah commented
            Editing a comment
            It's a shame all the reviews on this new Perry Mason, I did not know, I find on the contrary that the time, the atmosphere and the actors are perfect, we are very quickly caught in history. Big HBO as usual.

In the show, when Tatiana Maslany is in the jail cell with " baby Mama" she mentions that it is a long way from Saskatchewan.
          Interesting, since the actress IS from Regina, Saskatchewan.

Comment

They left us hanging with John Lithgow gassing himself as the walls are closing in financially, health wise, and with the bullying and corruption
            from his prosecution opponent. I see Perry Mason taking over the case next episode. Acting of all is top notch, and so are costumes and sets of
            " the dirty thirties" in LA and Hollywood.

Comment

I finally watched it and it is so good. I am going to continue the series. I like the grit and rawness of it all. Excellent acting and the storytelling is great.

Comment

Originally posted by 80sBaby View Post
                I finally watched it and it is so good. I am going to continue the series. I like the grit and rawness of it all. Excellent acting and the storytelling is great.
                This show is the first thing I've watched that is not a repeat, in four months. I don't want it to end !
                Emmies and Golden Globes for Tatiana Maslany, John Lithgow, and Ms. Rylance ( Della Street).....Hell, for everyone!

Comment

• 80sBaby
                  80sBaby commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Definitely! They did an excellent job carving it out. Can't wait to see where this goes.

Originally posted by Rubythroat1 View Post

(the terms fag and n-word were used although the n word WAS spoken by a black male character, not a white man). That was THEN, this is NOW.
                I think it's time regardless of the time period or who's speaking it to not glorify this self-demeaning language.

I also don't like the series as I am a huge fan of the original and the law still holds up today. But I can see why those do like it. It's not for me.

Comment

• Rubythroat1
                  Rubythroat1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  HBO keeps it real. The dirty underbelly of old Hollywood in the dirty thirties.

Great episode, and I thoroughly enjoyed watching Perry return to his mentor's office after the funeral, and literally throwing the book at his replacement who was in league
                with the Evil prosecutor. Then Perry is called to the Bar, after tutoring by a lawyer friend of Della Street to take over the Baby/Mama killer case.
                Shave and a Haircut--hopefully someone confiscated Perry's hooch flask. Teetotal with a twist from now on.

Comment

The last episodes aired was epic, thrilling, I love this series, glad that it was renewed for a season 2

Excellent actor Matthew Rhys, whom I loved in Brothers and Sisters, then The Americans and now an HBO series.

Comment

Originally posted by kahinamah View Post
                    The last episodes aired was epic, thrilling, I love this series, glad that it was renewed for a season 2

Excellent actor Matthew Rhys, whom I loved in Brothers and Sisters, then The Americans and now an HBO series.
                    I am so glad there is a season 2 ! I first saw MR as Mr. Darcy in P.D. James' " Death at Pemberly". With a posh English accent.

Comment

I will love watching Perry Mason show up all of the corrupt men around him. I am convinced the judge ( Matt- "Max Headroom")
                      is doing a Tamany Hall payola deal with the prosecution, who controls the two thugs that are at the centre of the baby kidnap.
                      Everyone underestimates Perry Mason.
                      I have not seen a series this great since " Angels in America ". Superb script.

Comment

I've watched the first few episodes and find it enjoyable. Definitely not my fathers Perry Mason.

Comment

• Rubythroat1
                          Rubythroat1 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yes. It is a new twist on the original concept.

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X