Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Props to the performers who memorize all of these lines every day

I could never memorize all the lines they have to say…does anyone think they could do it..?

I’ve wondered that. Maybe if I went over the script many times, lol. Otherwise, nope. Seems like a lot of lines, especially for the people who have a lot of scenes.

Comment

The ability to memorize scripts with short notice has always impressed me with soap actors. I know back in the day some of the older vets used cue cards (Ruth Warrick, Phoebe, AMC) I wish soaps were appreciated for how much content they crank out compared to shows in primetime & streaming.

Comment

I read somewhere that they have lines written on slips of paper hidden around the sets. I’m going to look to see if I can detect it.

And now that I’m looking it’s also possible there are people holding cue cards out of sight.

Comment

This has always amazed me too - I'm in awe of these actors; and sometimes when an actor has a long piece of dialogue/speech, its amazing.

Comment

I have done acting in school long ago…it is hard. But how to do it: Go over it and over and over it until the cows come home. You just do it….and it works. Lines memorized.
            But when I performed “live” on stage….it was like walking a tight rope and was scary for me sometimes.
            Last edited by jpa777; July 30, 2021, 12:35 PM.

Comment

I don't think soap actors get nearly the respect they deserve. An hour long episode is filmed in one day. That's a lot of rehearsing, memorizing and filming to do. And I'm guessing actors get some leeway with scripts and maybe don't have to repeat it word for word, as long as the intent remains the same.

But in addition to remembering their lines, actors also need to show emotions. Fear, anger, surprise, disgust, overjoyed, etc. Even sometimes subtle changes of expression or mannerisms which clues the viewer into what the character is thinking.

So yeah, I've got much respect for daytime actors.

Comment

• Rusti
                Rusti commented
                Editing a comment
                I completely agree with the first line of your post. I've always gotten irritated when a soap cast member leaves and I see comments that they are moving on to bigger and better things. It implies that being on a soap is somehow beneath that of being on a nighttime show.

I have always had the utmost respect for the work that daytime actors give to their characters. I've been a soap fan for years and each day I welcome these characters into my home. Love them or hate them, I still enjoy everything that they put into a role.

Just think of victor at 80. I have also read where they have cards around for them. You also don't see the person who tells children what to say sitting near them just out of camera view. As far as salary I think they should make more money than primetime since they do 5 shows a week instead of one.

Comment

If you look carefully, does it not look like they are looking into the distance sometimes, like they are glancing at cue cards from behind the cameras? I would bet the lines are within seeing distance. And that's not saying they don't do a good job. That's their profession.

Comment

Maurice Benard on GH is the only performer I ever notice struggling with his lines. All the rest are for the most part flawless.

Comment

Most of them are working on they own memories but you have a continuity person sometimes who’s there to tell them when they’re missing their lines, or sometimes they keep their transcript not to far to read very quickly.. I think depending off the scene ,when it’s very emotional it really difficult to read a card, but few does but more in the past than right now, .. and plenty ad lieb also as EB/Victor who really easily we could see makes the scene with his own word …

Comment

• WorldTurner
                      WorldTurner commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I doubt many ad lib. Trent Dawson explained when he was on ATWT and asked about ad libbing and gave a firm no. He said other actors cue off of your lines and if you ad lib you can really mess them up.

• GwenSharonteam
                      GwenSharonteam commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I am sure your are right not all are allowed to do that, and I understand why, but Eric Breaden/ Victor is known of doing it, and few other actors through the years in YR had their moments also.

Originally posted by Aprilgirl View Post
                    I could never memorize all the lines they have to say…does anyone think they could do it..?
                    It’s no so hard, ..and when you are getting in a character it’s even easier…and they memorise short scenes every time by day not all episode in once,… actors playing on stage had the hardest job, it’s live and and they have to memorise an all play and doing for weeks continuously…but for the few I did in my past, it’s easier than expected you work by bit, and It’s like a new muscle you train more you do more it’s easy to memorise them .the worse it’s to mix up one scene with another ah ah, and I am sure with all the repetitive lines some has..it’s certainly happen few times 😁 …

Comment

• stopthefall
                      stopthefall commented
                      Editing a comment
                      But actors on stage are saying the same lines for every performance. Daytime actors don’t have that luxury, so I’d say they’re the hardest working actors in all the genres.

• GwenSharonteam
                      GwenSharonteam commented
                      Editing a comment
                      We can see that way also … the both is not easy stage or soap … I know for the actors who don’t have memories and the ones playing with them is not easy whatever the medium stage or tv …

They do reshoots all the time and practice constantly…

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X