• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fanlady
    Executive Poster
    • Dec 2010

Can’t stand Devon falling in love with his dead wife’s identical twin

Sorry I just don’t care about Devon and Amanda, and the story is not even trying to be told in an intriguing way. I notice Devon barely thinks about Hillary, and Amanda should feel a certain way, sleeping in her dead sisters bed, they really should be feeling a certain way, for instance it would be awkward for a woman to marry her dead sisters husband and more so if she was an identical twin, I’d wonder which one of us he’s thinking about or does he sometimes think about my sister. Plus they simply just do not have chemistry at all, they are so bland.
  • henyvo02
    Senior Board Member
    • Sep 2008

I do not like Devon and Amanda either to me it is just creepy .

Comment

• Cici.lovely
      Day Player
      • Sep 2015

I can't stand it either, it's so weird. They are trying to pull the same thing right now on Days of Our Lives... Gabi in love with her dead husbands identical twin. Just ew!

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        At least Jake is a very different character. Amanda is just a watered down Hillary replacement and it's strange

• TunerEyes
        TunerEyes commented
        Editing a comment
        Kind of would expect identical twins to share some similar traits and even likes and outlook on things even when not raised together.
    • Rusti
      Board Regular
      • Jun 2013

I was just thinking the same thing while watching them in today's episode. It does border on being creepy. Of course, not being a fan of either Hilary or Amanda may play a part in my feelings.
      I do have to agree with the op about both Devon and Amanda being bland. Neither one of them give off much energy.

Comment

It's sick. I don't understand why they've done this. Either bring back Hillary or don't, this replacement for her is just bizarre. She should have stayed out of Devon's orbit if she's really meant to be a different character

Comment

• Theresa_Fan
          Aspiring soap scribe
          • Jul 2007

Totally agree. Just make her Hilary! JUST DO IT!

Comment

• zenmaster5
            Soap Addict
            • May 2017

That would be nice if they did make Amanda really Hilary. I just have to wonder, how would they do that.. I like Devon, I would have to agree that him and Amanda are quit bland together, may be it's because their story isn't as interesting as others. I always liked Abby and Devon together. I enjoy their friendship and seeing them together, but I guess a romance between won't ever happen.

Comment

• caitie
              Aspiring soap scribe
              • Mar 2010

I think I might be more accepting of the Hilary factor if Devon and Amanda had had some REAL couple angst dealing with Amanda being identical to Hilary. But they didn't!

Elena did the hard work of helping Devon finally transition from his grief to getting his life back on track. And then Elena continued to do the hard work of supporting Devon as he dealt with months of self-admitted obsession with Amanda having Hilary's face.

And, even when Devon appeared to be fully on track again and committed to Elena, she walked into the penthouse on the day of the DNA reveal to hear Devon emotionally proclaim to Amanda that he had never fully let go of Hilary.

As far as I'm concerned, this Hilary factor was never properly resolved between Devon and Amanda. Unless it is, part of me will always feel that Devon is with Amanda because it's at least partly like having Hilary in his life and bed again.

And, to top it all off, Devon and Amanda are DULL.

Comment

• TxProud627
                TxProud627 commented
                Editing a comment
                I hadn't thought about it before you made this comment but everything you say here is exactly why I'm not a fan of Devon & Amanda being together. I loved to hate the Hilary character and I mostly find Devon and Amanda boring. Even when Amanda becomes feisty, it's because she's venting to Devon about things over her adoption. Devon and Hilary were wrong in sleeping together while she was married to Neil but it made for good soap story telling. I don't know if or when I'll ever get on board with them together.
            • bronxgal
              I Let My Evil Twin Post For Me
              • Jun 2005

I loved the way they said I love you today. I like the pairing.

Honestly I don’t even think about Hilary unless it is brought up here.

Comment

• soapfiction
                soapfiction commented
                Editing a comment
                ICAM....they have that adult relationship. I think they're FAB together and enjoy all their scenes. When I see Amanda, I don't see Hilary because she acts nothing like her. Amanda's her own person and MM has done a good job in showing the difference IMO.
            • TunerEyes
              Soap Addict
              • Dec 2014

I did not like pushy rude Hilary. Hated what she and Devon did to Neil all those months behind his back no less. Plus she came to town to punish Neil and his family. Strong women don’t have to be that way.

So while I wasn’t enthralled by Amanda on the scene, I don’t see her as harsh and unlikeable as Hilary. Prefer her with Devon. Enough time has past since Hilary’s death and they took things slow so I never saw it as Devon substituting one sister for the other. I sure would hope that Devon doesn’t spend his life talking about his dead wife. That would be sad and a waste of his life. Part of living is coming to terms with losing someone unfortunately as it’s part of life. The lessons of loving someone shouldn’t be wasted. Life sometimes can be too short.

i think since the actor is involved with another actress on the show it comes through in how Devon reacts on screen with Amanda. Devon and Hilary if nothing else had great screen chemistry.

Comment

• Shoelover
                Contract Poster
                • Dec 2017

Don’t see any chemistry between Devon & Amanda. They’re just taking up space.

Comment

• Jupiter Jane
                  Soap Addict
                  • Mar 2004

ITA with many of the comments here. Its amazing the chemistry between Hilary and Devon, but there is none with Amanda. I love Mishael Morgan and since she is now back, they should have given her what she wanted before so Hilary would still be with us. There is absolutely no spark between Devon and Amanda, and they still interact as if they were just friends. ALSO given Devon's own past (sleeping with his father's wife etc) its amazing to me that he couldn't work through Elena's one-night indiscretion with Nate. Not saying it was right, but they were supposedly so "in love" and yet Devon couldn't even try to work through it. People in glass houses Devon!

Comment

• Nancy T
                    Board Regular
                    • Apr 2017

I think that if I were Amanda there would be a part of me that would always wonder if Devon only loved me because I look like his dead wife.

Comment

• TooFree4You
                      Contract Poster
                      • Jan 2019

Devon is boring in all of his pairings…Amanda was 100 times more interesting with Billy. Elena is alot more interesting with Nate.

Comment

• caitie
                        caitie commented
                        Editing a comment
                        On a side note, I thought that Elena and Nate really sparkled together in their scenes at Society yesterday, Hope to see more of that with them.
                    • caitie
                      Aspiring soap scribe
                      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by TunerEyes View Post
                      I did not like pushy rude Hilary. Hated what she and Devon did to Neil all those months behind his back no less. Plus she came to town to punish Neil and his family. Strong women don’t have to be that way.

So while I wasn’t enthralled by Amanda on the scene, I don’t see her as harsh and unlikeable as Hilary. Prefer her with Devon. Enough time has past since Hilary’s death and they took things slow so I never saw it as Devon substituting one sister for the other. I sure would hope that Devon doesn’t spend his life talking about his dead wife. That would be sad and a waste of his life. Part of living is coming to terms with losing someone unfortunately as it’s part of life. The lessons of loving someone shouldn’t be wasted. Life sometimes can be too short.

i think since the actor is involved with another actress on the show it comes through in how Devon reacts on screen with Amanda. Devon and Hilary if nothing else had great screen chemistry.
                      I completely agree with your statement: "Part of living is coming to terms with losing someone unfortunately as it’s part of life. The lessons of loving someone shouldn’t be wasted. Life sometimes can be too short."

BUT, because Hilary and Devon were such a high-profile couple and because most of two years of Devon's life was spent dealing with her loss and Amanda's resemblance to her, I think the Devon-Amanda relationship would have more substance if they had spent more time working through the Hilary factor TOGETHER before moving on. IMO, there was good couple-building story there for Devon and Amanda.

As for the complexities of having a real-life couple in the mix:
                      Interestingly, the only comment I've heard about that came in a June interview from the actor who plays Nate. He said that he wasn't sure he'd be comfortable having another man doing love scenes with his girlfriend - but that the actors who play Devon and Elena were very professional about it. My sense from the Nate actor's interview was that he was more uncomfortable with the situation than the couple was.

Comment

• bronxgal
                        bronxgal commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I am of a different mindset on Devon working through Hillary with Amanda.

I think that would have not been good for them. To me he needed to work thorough Hilary without Amanda around. Her being with him while he is having issues with her looking like her may have contributed to his being stuck

• caitie
                        caitie commented
                        Editing a comment
                        bronxgal To clarify my comment, I don't think that Devon and Amanda should have gone back to the beginning of Devon's grieving and adjustment process over Hilary. However, I do think they should have continued to explore the unresolved words in the room the day of the penthouse reveal, Words which hung in the air and to which BOTH Elena and Amanda had a noticeable reaction. Words which Devon acknowledged made it sound as if he was still hanging on to Hilary as the woman he loved more than anything or anyone else. Words about which Devon rightly apologized to Elena for few days after he said them. Words which were a pivotal turning for Elena and Devon being as they contributed to ramping up her insecurity.

A few cursory words from Devon about how he saw Amanda as a different person simply were not enough to bridge the emotional gap for me.

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X