X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADVISORY: Vague Titles and Spoiler Reminder/Canadian Episode Clarification

Hey all,

I wanted to make mention of something. One of SOC’s rules for posting is, when creating a new topic, to make sure your subject line fully describes the thread itself. Moderators will change the title if we have some time to a more descriptive title but often these threads get pulled because it’s time consuming to change them when we have more severe violations to address and other threads to read through. Its such a shame to pull a thread that a poster spent time on just because the title isn’t descriptive but we have to or else the boards would have so many threads discussing the same thing.

For the last couple of weeks I have been changing thread titles instead of deleting them with a moderator note explaining that the thread title was changed and why. But again that’s even more time consuming.

Posting threads with titles like (using fake names for examples):

“Isabella’s dad” (what about her dad??)
    “Bob acts sad” (what is he acting sad about?”)
    ”todays scenes” (what about today’s scenes?)
    “Josh should watch his back” (why??)

These are threads that would be pulled for that reason. The reason for this rule is that it’s too easy for a duplicate topic to be created. When posting a new thread, part of SOC’s guidelines states scan the boards and make sure what you are about to post hasn’t been posted already.

Here’s an example of a subject lines that are acceptable (using the same fake names as previous example)

”Isabella’s dad should be cast on the show, there’s a lot of story possibilities”
    ”Bob being sad all of the time because of his breakup is boring”
    “Today’s scenes were missing excitement”
    ”I think Casey is going to go after Josh for telling Pam about the affair”

The ONLY exception is with spoilers. Spoilers should be properly tagged with only a vague hint at what it’s about. Any other threads should have a descriptive title to prevent the thread from being pulled for having too vague of a subject line.

Any questions about this topic, please feel free to ask.
    And a reminder, any questions about deleted posts/threads should be emailed to a moderator. You can use the “email me” in any of our signatures.

Thank you!
    Last edited by JCmojoe81; April 20, 2021, 08:35 PM.
    JC
    SOC Moderator
    soapcentral.com
    Questions? Email me: JCmojoe81

We are having an ongoing problem with spoiler information being copied, word for word, from other sites! This is copyright infringement (illegal) and is strictly and specifically prohibited on this site!

Per the guidelines:

Posting spoilers (or any other content) verbatim (word for word) from other web sites or publications is not permitted. Please see the PROHIBITED CONTENT section below for more information.

Changing a word or two is not enough; spoiler information needs to be completely rephrased by the poster.

Posters who create topics with copied information will have their topics removed and will also risk having a ban placed on their account.

This is not a sudden or arbitrary policy; it is specifically prohibited in the site's guidelines and, as mentioned earlier, it is illegal and we have even had complaints from those whose content has been used inappropriately.
    Moore ideas
    SOC Moderator
    Please email me with questions or comments.

Dumbledore to Harry:
    "It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

Comment

• Angeldar
      Angeldar commented
      Editing a comment
      I posted a spoiler post of things that happened in the last episode. I posted as a spoiler because it was the Canadian episode. There were comments on it, but, when I went back to it, I found the post had been removed. I don't understand.. I thought I was following the rules but when the post just disappears after I spent my time and thoughts in putting it together, it seems a little unfair that I do not get an explanation. It also leaves me with very little incentive to write anything on here if I am just going to be erased, especially when I do not understand why so at least I know how to not make a repeat offence if that's what it was. Thought I would voice my feelings. Thanks.

• Moore ideas
      Moore ideas commented
      Editing a comment
      The moderators are happy to answer your questions about removals, but we do not answer these kinds of individual questions on the site. Please email a moderator privately. If you look at the bottom of any moderator's posts, you'll see an "email me" in their signatures. (See my post above yours.) That's a hyperlink. Just click it and send an email.

Thanks for this clarification. I used to do this mistake a lot and have my threads deleted because of it. Then I realized what was going on and now I try to do better.

Comment

People, we are STILL having ongoing issues with vague subject lines, despite this prominent stuck advisory. And so, we're going to move more aggressively to the banning phase of this warning. Posters who continue to cause the moderators to remove topics because of vague subject lines should expect to have a little vaycay from posting privileges.
      Moore ideas
      SOC Moderator

Dumbledore to Harry:

Comment

How about a Spoiler topic that states Speculation about a cast move?

Comment

• Moore ideas
          Moore ideas commented
          Editing a comment
          Spoiler topics are permitted to have somewhat vague titles, because we don't want the actual spoiler information revealed in the title itself. Even so, there needs to be some indication about what's being discussed, such as identifying which storyline, character, or couple the spoiler is about.

Speculation doesn't qualify as being spoiler information, so marking it as a spoiler wouldn't be permitted. Sometimes, speculation turns into nothing beyond fan fiction, with the spoiler tag being used to attract attention to the discussion. Spoiler topics need to include mention of the original source (SOD, for example), but without a direct link to that site. The only spoiler link permitted is to SOC's spoiler information on the site's Front Page.

Moore ideas

Thanks for the clarification.

When MM, who played Hilary,
        signed to return to Y&R, there
        was enormous SPECULATION
        about what her storyline might be.

Please explain how that actually
        should have been handled,
        because the way I remember,
        pretty much anything was allowed.

Thanks again

Comment

Speculation about what a storyline might be is allowed, as long as it doesn't turn into fan fiction or reference spoilers inside the topic. If speculation is based on characters' histories, clues through what's already been seen, wishful thinking for the return of a former character, etc., that's all fine. Writing "I saw a spoiler somewhere that said xxx will happen...", is not okay. As soon the word "spoiler" is written anywhere inside a non-spoiler topic, posters think they've been given sudden permission to discuss spoilers, they swoop in with actual spoiler information, and then the topic has to be removed, some posters might be banned (if they already have a history of similar violations), and then people ask why a "perfectly nice discussion" was removed. But speculating about what a character's storyline might be is fine -- as long as everyone stays away from referencing spoilers and/or writing an entire fanfic outline.

I should add that any spoiler information can be discussed inside a properly marked spoiler discussion. Sticking "spoiler" on a topic that's nothing beyond speculation isn't allowed. A spoiler topic needs to be based on reliable spoiler information. In that case, speculation about a character's role can be based on those spoilers.
          Last edited by Moore ideas; June 22, 2021, 01:30 AM.
          Moore ideas
          SOC Moderator

Dumbledore to Harry:

Comment

PEOPLE, we're still having issues with vague titles, despite this stuck advisory. A one-word or two-word title doesn't tell us anything and will be removed!

* A character's name is not an adequate title. What about the character?

* One word doesn't tell us anything: "Why", "Maybe...", "Cookies", etc.

* And stuff like "What happened?", "What if...", "I laughed so hard when...", "Does anyone think...", etc.

Posters who continue to create topics with nonsensical titles should expect to start having their posting privileges restricted.
            Moore ideas
            SOC Moderator

Dumbledore to Harry:

Comment

We recently had a thread about this stuck on top of the boards, and it seems another reminder is needed:

The Canadian episode that airs a day ahead is considered a spoiler. The site owner does not want the show spoiled
              for anyone, nor does he want a million threads on the same topic airing two different days sooo the only way to discuss the Canadian Episode on the day it airs in Canada is by posting a full recap thread in your own words and whoever wants to jump in on the discussion is welcome. If there is no thread like this posted, and you want to discuss the episode, you must wait 24 hours to discuss until it airs in the US. Posting a thread on an individual topic on that episode is not permitted and will be deleted. Posting anything that occurs in the Canadian episode in a non-Canadian episode recap thread will be deleted. Please contact us with any questions, many posts and threads have been removed because of this as of late
              JC
              SOC Moderator
              soapcentral.com
              Questions? Email me: JCmojoe81

Comment

• belle_
                belle_ commented
                Editing a comment
                Oops, I did this today. Sorry. I thought the rule was only one thread was allowed, not that it had to be a full recap.

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
            Working...
            X