Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Anyone Watched Y&R Since Day One?

Since CBS is re-airing the first two episodes on Monday in the U.S., I was wondering if anyone on the board watched those shows back then? If so, what did you think of them?

I was in high school when the show began in March 1973. I believe I started watching that summer. I remember the early days of Jill, the Foster and Brooks families. I still remember the harmonica soundtrack the show played for the Foster family scenes. Loved Jill's brothers, Snapper and Gregg, and Snapper's eventual wife Chris Brooks. David Hasselhoff was the second Snapper.

Show always had teen stories during the summer. I hated Jill's adoption storyline, because it diminished the Foster family. There was never any indication that Jill was adopted. Katherine (then called Kay) Chancellor was essentially a mean alcoholic. Brock was always singing and playing the guitar.

It will be interesting watching Monday's show. I'm sure I'll find the melodramatic acting, dialogue and production very dated.

Comment

Do you remember it being slow-paced? My mom used to watch AMC and Ryan's Hope in the 70s and said the storylines moved SO slowly. One of my former co-workers used to watch Y&R, I told her about the first two episodes being shown again. I said it'll be worth watching just for the outfits and hair alone. I never thought I would get to see any episodes from the 70s. My parents graduated from high school in 1974 and 1975, but I wasn't born until the early 90s.
      Last edited by soapgirl9; July 17, 2020, 06:53 PM.

Comment

• Forever Fan
        Forever Fan commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry, don't remember anything about the pacing. I'll bet that the pace was slower for all of the soaps in the 70s. You're right about the outfits and the hair.

• Smithey
        Smithey commented
        Editing a comment
        It was slower paced, but it was excellent soap opera, too. Soaps today could learn a great deal.

• jcollins4641
        jcollins4641 commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol I was born 1989, my parents was only one yrs old in 1973..I feel I can get into soaps 1980s and forward..1970s and prior is harder for a young guy like me

Oh, I want to see them. I watched Y&R in the early years but don't recall if I actually saw the very first episode.

Comment

I have been watching since it started. I don’t think I saw day 1 because I was in high school but started watching during the first summer.

Comment

I've been watching for long time,but didn't see show in it's early days because I was in school

Comment

I started watching on day 1 at the age of 12. Love is a Many Splendor Thing ended and then the Young and the Restless began. It hooked me from the beginning and I am still a fan.

Comment

I watched it from the beginning as well. When are they playing the 1st show? I quit watching last year. I gave up cable tv and didnt bother to find where to watch online.

Where can I watch those first episodes?

Comment

• soapgirl9
                soapgirl9 commented
                Editing a comment
                They're showing the first two episodes on Monday. The episodes were available on the CBS site, but now it seems like they're trying to get people to sign up for CBS All Access in order to watch them.

I have.Used to be on at noon for 30 minutes.I was a young teen in school and watched for the brooks girls,lol

Comment

I’ve watched since the beginning when I was 9 yrs. old....kept up during vacations and snow days. Have taped since 1990 (you know, I still tape and have an analog vcr/dvd combo tv from the 90’s) ...Anyway, I really don’t miss the show and they can stay in reruns now for all I care! LOL

Comment

I was in 7th grade in March of ‘73 so obviously I wasn’t home when they aired. I started watching Y&R in the summer of ‘78, the summer after I graduated high school. I haven’t always watched since then, but I kept up with all the happenings with Soap Opera Digest. I have never missed an episode since 1998 when I started recording on my DVR.
                  Last edited by carolinakid; July 19, 2020, 06:08 AM.

Comment

No because. I wasn't born in the 70's I didn't see the young the restless until the 90's.
                    Last edited by SheilaFan32; July 19, 2020, 06:34 AM.

Comment

I started watching it from day one! Well, actually my mother did....I was in middle school at the time so I didn't really start watching it until that summer. I really remember loving the music! The theme song & all of the background music was just beautiful!!

Comment

I watched Y&R from day one until around 2016, when the show became something else than Y&R. It was one ratings grab plot after another. I started watching a couple years after Pratt left and the show was good again. Young allowed the characters to evolve and grow. I stopped watching again as JG made the show unwatchable again (in my opinion). I am enjoying the classic episodes now.

Comment

My Mom watched from day 1 when she was pregnant. I started watching in 1984/1985 when I was in grade school. I kept up with when school was out.

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X