Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack abuses drunk Nikki

I was shocked and appalled by Jack shaking and berating a drunk Nikki, who was so out of it she had no idea what was going on. He was more concerned about being embarrassed than for his wife and her illness. He's an atrocious husband! Disgusting!

Back in the day, people got a bit more physical on the soaps and it wasn’t uncommon to toss a drunkard around a bit.

Comment

I saw that and winced. It's an example of how things were accepted back then by those that had a voice. The ones that didn't have a voice, were saying all along that these things were bad representations, but no one heard them. Now, things are seen differently. I mean, there was a time where people believed that a woman couldn't be raped by her husband. So the accepted reality was that the husband could get away with doing a lot to their wives. I'm happy those times have changed.

Comment

• RestlessFan
        RestlessFan commented
        Editing a comment
        Didn't Victor throw Diane out of a moving airplane or an automobile right around the M.A.B. years, too (2009 to 2012)? And, there was the scenes with J.T. and Victoria, wasn't it around 2017, their physical abuse storyline, with J.T. manhandling Victoria. I was quite shock, 2017, at some of the scenes, too, and even Nikki hitting J.T. from behind with a fire poker, when she would have just aimed for his legs, not his head, too, and the four women could have taken J.T. down then and just tie him up and called the police, too. So, it is also or always some violent scenes in the past and present.

• thecourt99
        thecourt99 commented
        Editing a comment
        RestlessFan My post is in reference to an episode that aired from 1991. It wasn't even the 2000's yet. My point was that there wasn't much backlash then because viewers saw things different then. They didn't see what Jack did as abusive. In the JT/Victoria story, the whole point was that he was abusive.

I was surprise, too with Jack and Nikki scenes, too. Didn't Jack win an emmy for this, though? Jack seemed really emotional and frustrated at his situation or he seeing how Nikki is spiraling or her drinking out of control. It was sad to see it and yet it was shown realistically, so if that is the scene, PB won an emmy for it, I think. Don't soap operas known for toeing the line for dramatic effects? I was horrified the way mentally ill women were verbally abused or the way other characters became mean and had no empathy for Sharon and thus all the meaness and names others called her. That's why I was so glad, a nice man, with empathy became Sharon's friend and husband, Dylan MaCavoy (or Steve Burton) and how he helped Sharon or supported her till he went undergraound.

Comment

I said the same thing Jack talked to Nikki like dirt even though professing to love her. In two older episodes he
        just abused her. I know he has a temper but not so much with women. Never heard him berate Phyllis like he
        did to Nikki. No one got her help through her drinking not even her kids. Where was Victor? Although Nikki
        probably started drinking because of him. He would make anyone drink. Didn't remember that she started to
        drink so young. I do think Katherine stepped up to help her.

Comment

We have to remember that this was filmed 30 years ago. At that point in time, you would see more negative physical aggression in marriages. I actually remember a scene from Another World (must have been the early 70s) where Russ actually spanked Rachel after she acted like a brat. Now today, he could be charged with domestic violence. Back then, people actually applauded him for standing up to her. I assume that the writers who wrote the Nikki/alcoholic storyline were using the plot to illustrate how alcohol affects not only the alcoholic's behavior but also the behavior of those close to them. I remember Victor actually grabbing & shaking Nikki as well, screaming "What's the matter with you?!".

Comment

I don’t think he was abusing her. He was upset sure, and had every right to be, but he was trying to talk to her. We all know you can’t talk to a person who is drunk! They won’t even remember what you tell them.

Comment

That's nothing from what I've seen on this show. I remember back in the 90's where they showed Matt Clark when he raped Sharon and Amy. I thought both scenes were very violent and graphic back then.. They couldn't get away with doing scenes like that today.

Comment

I didn’t see it that way at all JMO 🤷‍♀️🥱

Comment

I agree with Chris and others. It is reality! I have had extensive experience with alcoholics...believe me, it wears you down and frustrates you. He wasn't beating her. He was angry and grabbed her but I don't consider it abuse. I totally sympathy with him and didn't feel sorry for her. And yes, I am probably feeling that way because of my experiences.

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X