Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y&R feels so sterile and lacks a community feel

I am a devoted Y&R fan and rewatching some of these older episodes reminded me how great this soap opera was. 1980s to all the way mid 2000s, it had a distinct feel and I feel like now that feel is gone. Its aura is erased or transformed.

Y&R was a moody but still managed to be a very warm show with great characters, delightful friendships, and a sense of community. The focus is still on the family but something is lagging. Most of the sets are sterile. You might be fan of TGP or Society. They are pretty sets but those sets are not cozy. Even Newman ranch set lacks warmth.

The warmth is also missing from interactions. Tracy is really the shinny star in that dept. Hardly any meaningful family gatherings. Minus may the younger set no friendships. Characters, even the darlings of JG are not layered or lack complexity. For example, even though they are all in the lead Abby, Summer and Chelsea often lacks complexity.

Part of the problem is the lack of umbrella stories and part of the problem is the heave focus on Newmans which is not allowing the other characters to be fully developed and also have meaningful connections. Vets are pushed aside and the younger set is being written one dimensional.

Again this is just my opinion. After watching the old shows now I know that is the problem. The glossiness is there but the depth and warm are lacking.

Bill Bell’s shoes are hard to fill because the writing hasn’t been what it once was. However, TV watching has changed drastically over the past 20 years. There are so many channels and now there is countless online options that is affecting the show. The money is in advertising (stating the obvious!) and if the corporations have to spread out dollars to reach audiences in various viewing locations then that affects the show. The competition is too stiff. The budge is a factor in getting and keeping talent.

i doubt we will ever see the large family gatherings, galas, weddings, multiple characters and multiple sets in the same episode even if the writing was top notch. Maybe if the were top notch then the other things listed above would not be as important.

Comment

• creation
      creation commented
      Editing a comment
      I could not agree more. I honestly think that those days are long gone.

• geraldine123
      geraldine123 commented
      Editing a comment
      What a great post. The times have changed so drastically as have the audiences that watch soaps. Persons 18-49 and even in the 25-54 targeted Y&R demo are not the same persons as they were in Bill Bell's heyday. Whatever the writing, I don't think you'd have a massive audience vested in a soap. They don't even exist for primetime.

Watching these old shows tells me one thing: The current shows are extremely inferior and cannot match up.

(And if you’re into the old y/r scenes and shows check out
    YT. ...several new ones added on ...the John and Jill divorce clips are pure gold.)

Comment

I've dumped shows in the past that either disturbed me or bored me-- so far I'm still eager to get back to the Status Quo of Y& R.
      The hiatus may inject some new vigour to the project.

Comment

• geraldine123
        geraldine123 commented
        Editing a comment
        They haven't had to crank out shows daily. Hopefully, they've used the time to step back and really assess the show and at least do some outlines where there is more cohesion. They've been flip flopping characters and storylines where they are just nonsensical. They need to get a better overview of what they want to accomplish and execute logically so the audience wants to stay vested.

I think we have to face facts, that soaps will never be what they once were. Those days are gone! It's all about money and ratings now, and not much more. Soaps writers don't write the same way they used to, storylines are not the same as they used to be, sets are not the same elaborate sets they once were, etc etc etc. Do we actually think that with all that is going on in our world, that which is affecting everyone and everything, that things will go back to what they used to be, or somehow get better in the world of soaps?.. I don't think so, but that's just my opinion. With the financial impact on the world that's going on right now, I don't think that soaps are going to be pouring tons of money into them, especially since there are only 4 soaps left that are barely operating now.
      Last edited by creation; June 13, 2020, 09:17 AM.

Comment

The last months were small boxes of storylines, beside Victoria being stabbed who gathered different cast who don’t share scene together for a short time, .. otherwise every single storyline was compartmented with most of the cast on the same single storyline , always going on the same direction , and giving the same exact atmosphere, no risk taking, ... , same space, neutral storyline that really was not engaging the viewer emotionally beside the feeling the same thing repeating itself over and over. Or being just push line ..., so for sure there’s no cohesion, feeling of unity, craft, or to challenge the viewers in something different, ... few good scenes, but very quickly over with no continuity .. they should layer up most of the characters, and give them more dimension ...
        Last edited by GwenSharonteam; June 13, 2020, 09:58 AM.

Comment

• creation
          creation commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree. Soaps have changed dramatically over the years, and I don't think that they will ever be what they once were. Today, it's just dull stories, and the same few actors and characters being used over and over again, and it's bores viewers. Viewers will lose interest fast, especially now, in the fast paced world we live in, and considering all the other channels and shows that they can choose from. If soaps don't hold their interests, then they will quickly leave them behind and move on to something else that will, and that definitely shows by the steady decline in the ratings that we see now.

At this point in time, every book, and every show, is going to have to reflect the changes in the world of 2020. If they ignore it like nothing happened
        it will be something that people all over the world can't relate to.
        Much like 9/ 11, the impact will have a ripple effect.
        It will be fascinating to see what they come up with.

Comment

Budgets have definitely impacted quality. There are fewer writers on staff; fewer sets; less time for rehearsal and an expectation of only one take. It isn't really fair to compare. And that money is never coming back. I think COVID will change things. They won't be able to rely on "chemistry" or hot sex to sell a couple. The storytelling and creativity in acting will have to take a lead role. I think there will be a return to focus on business and family. And filming will change with more individual closeups. I fully expect the first few weeks of experimenting to be less than perfect, but once they find a groove, I'm curious to see the new YR.

Comment

Grateful to have this opportunity to see the old episodes in full. I've watched for decades, and grew up with these characters. I remember FFWD'ing back in the day to skip the characters and SL's I didn't like at the time. Now I savor them in the old episodes. I suppose in another 5 years I'll look back on the current shows and savor them too. Fingers crossed Y&R will still be on.

Comment

DOOLWill I just wanted to chime in to say totally agree with everything you said. When the cast was dwindled down and stories began focusing primarily on the Newmans the show lost a lot of the magic that kept many of us coming back day after day. I find myself looking forward each day to watching these old episodes and will be a little disappointed when the new shows start up again. This experience back in time has been for me, bittersweet. But like I'll never be 20 something again, I just have to accept that time moves on.

Comment

I've watched Y&R forever and although there are ups and downs, I'm not on board with the blanket generalizations. Obviously it's different now, but different isn't bad. I've enjoyed seeing most of the old episodes, some were incredibly cheesy IMO, and some were absolutely adorable. But I'll be happy to have Y&R back to date also. I've been enjoying Theo's meshing with Jack, Tracy, and Dina. I'm excited to have Kyle and Summer together. I think it's been really special seeing Nikki being a friend to Sharon during her cancer story. Additionally, I like the way that Rey and Nick have stepped up to be there for Sharon also. I'm happy Victor and Nikki are together because they're always a mess when they're separated. I like that Jill is working on something via Lily and Billy and maybe Tracy.

So I guess I don't see it all as being negative. I'm curious as to how this will all come together again. I really love this show... it's one of my constants.

Comment

The problem is the writing style. Plot based writing, instead of character based writing, largely narrows the scope of the characters involved. If the writers would write around the characters and their motives, it would naturally expand the scope of characters. Unfortunately, that requires planning, which the writers won't do, or are unable to do.

Comment

The thing I don't like is that YR used to be generational. Now with Kay/John gone. There is nothing like that anymore. Plus YR can't integrate Paul/Michael/Lauren into the canvas. Only for Parties. For me the quick fix is that somehow. Lauren get control of Jabot. Michael's past comes back to haunt him. Paul has a tough case with personal stakes and his daughter comes back to Genoe City.

Comment

JMO, but no small step will
                      bring back viewers, esp after
                      4 months off.

Y&R needs to decide which
                      SLa and characters need to
                      be deleted, even if they’re
                      legacy characters.

realistically, how many viewers
                      would return to view 2-3 three
                      minute scenes with Lauren a
                      few times per week?