Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone miss John Abbott?

He was such a sweet man and a great father and husband, just like Jack. I think there was a lot of Jerry Douglas in the character.

I wasn't watching it when he was still alive on the show but I thoroughly enjoyed him as John's spirit. Now since I have seen the classic shows with him in them I wonder why did they kill him off?

Comment

I miss John every-time I see Jack bending over backwards to please Kyle or Summer. I would love it if he were alive and telling Jack to show some respect for his daughter in-law and then chew Kyle out for what he did to Lola. I would also love to see scenes between Dina and John. Scenes that show he's still in love with her and would like to take care of her. I would also love for him to accept her grandson Theo and welcome him into the family. Then chew Jack out for letting Kyle and Summer get away with setting him up.

Comment

• SoapQuest
        SoapQuest commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh yeah, a hundred percent better. John had a good sense of right from wrong. He cared about people whereas Jack does whatever makes him feel good. He hasn't been to see Lola to express his disappointment in his son for hurting her. Hasn't given her a hug and told her she will always be a special part of their family and to come by for visits anytime. Hasn't seriously gotten into Kyle's face about it or even told him to go to marital counseling before bailing on a five month marriage for a trollop like Summer. He didn't even get in Summer's face about her behavior. He just went with the flow and I don't see John ever doing that. And the crap they pulled on Theo is something John would have never gone along with.

• Emerald Greens
        Emerald Greens commented
        Editing a comment
        Well Jack wanted and thought Summer was his daughter so this keeps her close. John was more compassionate and would have thought of Lola . Jack is more self absorbed like his mother .

• SoapQuest
        SoapQuest commented
        Editing a comment
        I wish Jack had heard Summer tell Nick that she was happy to be a Newman because even when she thought Jack was her father she always wanted him (Nick) to be her dad. Jack goes overboard with her. He may think of her as a daughter but she isn't. Lola is his daughter by law so he should show her more respect.

I do! I miss he and Gloria!

Comment

John Abbott was truly a good man. Killing him off was a huge mistake.

Comment

I miss John so much. He was the true patriarch of the show. A great husband and father!

Comment

Killing off John Abbott was one of the biggest mistakes Y&R ever made. Right up there with GH killing off Alan Quartermaine.

Comment

Yes! He left Y&R too soon!

Comment

Loved it when he would talked the Jack even though he was dead .

Comment

The show was never the same for me after Jerry Douglas left.

Comment

I would like to have him come back as a ghost and have him apologize to Traci for that "My Beauty" nonsense. That was revealed to be very hurtful to her to listen to him call her sister that.

Comment

• Forever Fan
                      Forever Fan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I don't remember Ashley's pet name of "My Beauty" being an issue for Tracy during the original episodes. Don't know if I forgot, or if Mal Young created the conflict as part of the 2018 Ashley exit story. Either way, agree that it was insensitive for John Abbott to refer to Ashley as "My Beauty."

• soapgirl9
                      soapgirl9 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Watching Traci and Brad's second wedding and I noticed he did the "my beauty" for Ashley and "my baby" for Traci. I would also be pissed if I had a sister and my dad insisted on calling her "my beauty".

Originally posted by 1catlover3 View Post
                    I wasn't watching it when he was still alive on the show but I thoroughly enjoyed him as John's spirit. Now since I have seen the classic shows with him in them I wonder why did they kill him off?
                    I always thought John was killed off because the actor wanted to retire.

I loved John but his favoritism of his beauty over Traci was irritating. I did like it when he called Jack, Jackie.

Comment

• JaySherman
                      JaySherman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Jerry Douglas reportedly did not want to leave the show. It's been said former head writer Lynn Marie Latham killed him off because she didn't believe a single father would be running a cosmetics company. If that is the truth, then that was a big misfire on the part of the show.

• RoidRage
                      RoidRage commented
                      Editing a comment
                      JaySherman LML really seemed to have it in for the whole Abbott family. She killed Jack then send Ash to Hong Kong only for her to pop up for an ill advised visit to B&B.

• soapgirl9
                      soapgirl9 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      JaySherman, I read something similar, but it was on a Wikipedia page, so I wasn't sure about the accuracy. If that was the reason, it seems like a bit of a weak one. Men can run clothing lines, own cosmetics companies or be hair dressers.

After today seeing his funeral I do miss him. He was the soul of the Abbott family. Sad that they let him go.
                    I like him with Mamie.
                    Ashley giving a speech had to get that in that her dad called her my beauty. Even at his funeral she had
                    to announce that.

Comment

Originally posted by Benny Maths View Post
                      John Abbott was truly a good man. Killing him off was a huge mistake.
                      I agree. Especially from what I’ve seen. He seems like he would’ve been the moral center. On another thread someone said that it was some writer or producers idea to kill off this character, really dumb idea whosever idea it was, in my opinion.

Comment

The John character was fantastic. I was only watching the show off and on during his time there, but loved what I saw. It al really makes you wonder what goes on behind the scenes to have killed off such an asset to the canvas.

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X