Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of diversity would you like to see?

Collapse

Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• caitie
    replied
    Originally posted by bluejazz View Post

First, I would like the characters they have to be given some better material. Flesh out the characters.
    Then, Why no indigenous Latinx or Afro Latinx characters? Why no religious diversity? Why? Because representation really matters.
    You speak to my constant plea: "Give the characters they have some better material"!!!!!!!!!!!

Explore their backgrounds.
    Feature them as much better integrated members of the Genoa City by increasing their range of character interactions.
    Write them more as individuals in their own right rather than just as props to promote story for others.

Leave a comment:

• llanviewlover
    replied
    The show has any number of legacy characters who could be brought back to add to the show's diversity. Mia was a definite keeper and should be brought back with eyes on Jack or Nick or someone else unexpected. Olivia could be brought back and paired with Jack. Ana was a great character who was given too little to do. I would bring her back and test her with a number of romantic partners. Seems like they were moving before the break to pair up Nate with Elena, which would free up Devon to possibly go after someone new. So many possibilities!

Leave a comment:

• GuidingLite
    replied
    When the story of Keemo and Luan was told, Miss Saigon was a popular musical...Y&R mirrored that story with it's own tale of a soldier (Jack) in Vietnam who loved a local girl (Luan) and came home without realizing he'd fathered a child by her.It wasn't the first time that Y&R took a page from another source (as many soaps do) to tell their own tale - Dina Abbott, the long-absent, exiled mother of children raised by their father and a loyal servant was clearly their take on Alexis Colby and Dynasty....

I'm all for more diversity in the cast, but would like there to be a real 'story' to go with it, not just adding an Asian character or family, or a Latin character or family, or even a refugee family from another country seeking asylum in the U.S. - why not bring an Arabic family, a Somali family, .....etc., etc.,etc., and raise awareness about lives in other places? Just about any character could take a story like this - Abby hires a new room cleaner, a young woman from Iran, and learns that her family is trying desperately to come to the U.S. - as they fear for their live - and she herself is living in the U.S. on an expired student visa...or Jack meets with a business person from Dubai about putting Jabot Cosmetics in his hotel (a line of shampoo, lotion, and conditioner that Jabot develops) and falls in love with her - a strong, determined woman who defied her father's authority and took over the family business instead of her brother who was running it into the ground....there are so many ways they could do it....to bring more diversity to the cast than just African-American and Latin characters...they could easily ditch several characters that just haven't really 'caught on' that well or been well-utilized...or that really just don't serve a whole lot of purpose.....Elena, Chelsea, Chloe, Kevin, Rey, Lola, Tessa, even Mariah for that matter - and it could give so many characters 'new life' and new stories to play out.

Leave a comment:

• SoapQuest
    commented on 's reply
    Amen and thank you. Jack has become impossible to like due to his infatuation with Summer and need to make Kyle "the heir" when he has a perfectly great heir in Keemo whom he never mentions. Phillip Moon looks great and I think he's still acting so yeah I say bring Keemo back and let him step in as COO and show Lauren the way out. I've never liked Jabot owning her company anyway. I don't even think it needs to be a battle for the top position because Keemo was working for Jabot when Kyle was at boarding school and so he has the experience to step in as second in command. I'd also love to see Keemo and Theo become friends too. He needs someone in that family on his side since Jack as lost his mind.

• SoapQuest
    replied
    I want all of the Rosales back.
    I want the Winters family back.
    I want Keemo Abbott back as the COO of Jabot and heir to Jack's CEO seat. No co-CEO position again. Keemo is the heir before Kyle. I want Keemo to have a teen daughter who's trouble but the eye of grandpa Jack's eye.
    I want Ravi back and dating Ashley again.

Leave a comment:

• bluejazz
    replied

First, I would like the characters they have to be given some better material. Flesh out the characters.
    Then, Why no indigenous Latinx or Afro Latinx characters? Why no religious diversity? Why? Because representation really matters.

Leave a comment:

• GwenSharonteam
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you for your input, it was nice of reading it. Neil certainly was a great character and I still see him one of the best CEO on YR.

• Forever Fan
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for taking the time to review the episode count, which sadly proves what many of us are saying about the under utilization of the show's diverse cast.

• guichard
    commented on 's reply
    I agree but I think they are afraid to spread the love

• caitie
    replied
    Originally posted by thecourt99 View Post
    The blessing and curse of a soap opera is that the daily shows and longevity result in a lot of history to mine. Within that history, there are storylines and backgrounds that can be improved upon if the writers care to do so - that's the key.

Maime was introduced as the Abbott maid. Drucilla and Olivia were her nieces. Olivia was Ivy league educated and a doctor. Dru was a homeless kid who couldn't read. Neil was Ivy League educated and Nate was a policeman (don't recall his education). An entire legacy came from that in the form of Malcolm, Devon, Lily, Nate Jr. and their children. In addition, there is much history to mine from with their various love interests regardless of how it ended. Plenty of stuff to pull from if they wanted to do so.

Jack has a grown son, Keemo. I understand that PB doesn't like that story and he wants it to be forgotten. Too bad. Once the art is out there, it is no longer yours. Keemo can return and have a whole family and integration with Jack. They spent all that time on creating a story to fit in Dina's grandson, and Dina has another grandson via Jack that is based in show history. Really?

While I wasn't a fan of the Rosales family, they are here. Do something with them. The Abbotts had help in their home once Maime left, and the Newmans used to have help as well. Not everyone has to be related to them of course, but again, there's history there. Use it.

I understand the desire to say "I want to see well written stories, no matter who the story is for", but the reality is that time is only taken with certain characters, and certain actors. If writers spread the love more, there wouldn't always be a call for more diversity. It's clear who gets writing and who doesn't.
    Yes, it really is "clear who gets the writing and who doesn't." Episode count, for example, tells the story. In a review of all of the episodes which have aired in 2020 (from Jan to the last new episode air date in April.) This list shows three actors grouped together at the bottom of the list of regular contract actors. Not surprisingly, those three are the ones who play Devon, Nate and Elena - all characters representing the diversity we are talking about in this thread.

And episode count is only one factor. Other factors point to the same lack of attention - air time per episode, independent point-of-view per episode and integration with other characters per episode.

There is already history to build on with Devon and Nate; and there are many ways Elena's potential can be developed and featured. But, as you are saying, "they" have to want to. Until "they" want to, I don't hold out much hope for any new additions representing diversity.
    Last edited by caitie; May 30, 2020, 05:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Shalaydra75
    replied
    Originally posted by Carjack4ever View Post
    I would like to see more umbrellla storylines and more interactions with different characters on the show. Everyone seems too closed off and divided into groups... The show was better at handling this back in the day as seen in the classic episodes. For example have Lily become friends with Sharon get involved with other characters besides Devon,Cane the usual people that she interact with. Have a romance develop between Lily and Nick and make Phyllis jealous etc. Use more of the vets for more interesting storylines... Have Paul and Lauren have an affair behind Micheal's back. Anything to make the show more interesting.

ITA about the umbrella s/l. I remember when I began watching Y&R, most characters were involved in the Clear Springs s/l. They all interacted with each other. I do not think that a character has to date a certain character to be relevant. When Lily ran the AC, she should have interacted with many characters and involved in many s/ls, but she was not. To make a long s/l , Nick lived with 3 women in a 12 month period; I do not want Lily to be just another notch on his bed post. Lily’s mother gave her life to defend Sharon’s honor, but Sharon did not have the decency to visit once when Lily had cancer and supported Hilary over Lily. (If Lily returns only to be the town’s punching, I will not be interested.) The writers missed an opportunity of presenting Lily and Vikki friendship and working relationship.

Originally posted by GwenSharonteam View Post
    To be honest , I would love not to hear anymore the word diversity and minority ..., we are in 2020,... and I want great actors whatever the horizon... and certainly not judged, harshly criticised or loved because what they should represent or not .... those words really doesn’t have sense, as any good scientist would say race doesn’t have no sense ..because there’s just human race and pigmentation doesn’t make us another race ... social study should demonstrate how the use of the word diversity and minority is just used to separate the mass, and classified economically people .. it’s nothing against the OP, and I respect Chatty Cake a lot ... but we have to go beyond that even the news shows nothing has changed much ... but I prefer me not put it, because it’s an excuse after for production to give bad use of what people expectation are and not treated their crew and actors equally in representation when just talent needs to be accountable ...

Originally posted by GwenSharonteam View Post
    It’s the reason I like the character of Ravi,.. he was the tech , he wasn’t introduced with a classification of background or minority, and they give him origin of his roots respectfully .. I am naive but I would like to see the word minority banned forever ever and ever ...

You are correct race is a social construct and not a scientific fact. Unfortunately, those who have darker skin do not have the luxury of thinking all within society are treated humanely. IMO, African-Americans do not see many upwardly mobile black families on soaps, that is why the Winters became legendary. Neil was such a phenomenal character because he used education and hard work, not birthright and marriage, to move through the ranks. Since most black soap characters work in judicial and health care systems, Neil, CEO position, was different.

Last edited by Shalaydra75; May 31, 2020, 05:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Shalaydra75
    commented on 's reply
    ITA with most of this comment, I do not want to see Lily in a relationship with Billy.

• Rubythroat1
    commented on 's reply
    Wisconsin has eleven nations--but predominantly Chippewa.

• GwenSharonteam
    commented on 's reply
    Soapfan54 likewise,... always a pleasure of talking with you. Ah ah but best to stop the off topic, .. I wish just great characters in YR, and Bell create one in Neil Winters, by working with a talented actor who put life and make it big for so many kids out there to believe it, and even sometimes starting finance school just because of him, and I am sure they were all from many horizons,... I was checking al lot Kristoff’s twitter and his fans just saw him for the talent he was , and I wish the same for the next generation coming , actors that make them dream big, ..., I don’t believe television need to educate children but if we are asking so much for a television to show diversity because we are in need that it was more open to what world is now, embracing culture and showing the beauty in his diversity ...

So my diversity I like right now in YR is Dutch by adoption Theo , who cooked an Eastern European meal with Lola , and seeing than their souvenir of childhood can be so similar. I loved than Arturo was an entrepreneur in construction so refreshing to have a character which a job that should given great storylines if writers were creative at the time, and not focusing on the same soup and dynamic they try to sell us for years now,..., I watched first YR, and was astonished to see women of any shape and size being lead, .. and I wish you have more this type of diversity of beauty for male and female back now, ... and stop just seeing the romantic aspect of each storyline before rooting him for the big picture,... it will give again more layer and story when an actor or actress knows they are just more than the half of couple , and as story to tell for themself ,... it’s the diversity Bell gave in the past, and wish we could keep it,... diversity and still representation of strong woman , .. I think compared to 5 years , finally not just Victoria Newman can have a job, so we finally see them working again ,... I would love than Keemo family ,at least supposedly grandchild of Jack could come and being integrate in the storyline ,.. and when they have great actors just keep them, ..

So I stop before continuing babbling, but yeah m to another fun discussion 😄
    Last edited by GwenSharonteam; May 30, 2020, 02:34 AM.

• Soapfan54
    commented on 's reply
    Oh! What an off-topic conversation we could have, lol! GwenSharonteam But I'll summarize by: 1) Agreeing about Denzel The Great! He's his authentic self and it comes through in his performances. I saw an interview he gave in which he said the running theme of his movies is that, the "villain" does not get away at the finale. Very interesting and I've noticed (in his movies) that he's remained true to this theme. 2) I'm glad to know you on this Board!

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
Working...
X