X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RATINGS - Week of May 11 - 15

SOC's recaps - Week of May 11 - 15

https://www.soapcentral.com/yr/recaps/2020/200511.php

A special week of episodes that focused on some of The Young and the Restless' most notorious rivalries. The episodes included a tackhouse rumble between Sharon and Nikki, an epic Katherine versus Jill battle, and, of course, Jack Abbott and Victor Newman.

NOTE:There were preemptions throughout the week.

Total Viewers
    1. Y&R 2,193,000 (-148,000)
    Households
    1. Y&R 1.63/5 (-.12)

Women 18-49 Viewers
    1. DAYS 254,000 (-3,000/-32,000)
    1. GH 254,000 (+9,000/-69,000)
    3. Y&R 187,000 (+5,000)
    Women 18-49 Rating
    1. DAYS 0.39/4 (same/-.05)
    1. GH 0.39/4 (+.01/-.11) <——- ties low (4th straight week)
    3. Y&R 0.29/3 (+.01)

Women 18-34 Viewers
    1. Y&R 56,000 (-2,000)
    Women 18-34 Rating
    1. Y&R 0.16 (-.01)

Women 25-54 Viewers
    1. GH 382,000 (+2,000/-77,000)
    2. DAYS 367,000 (-1,000/-10,000)
    3. Y&R 281,000 (-4,000)
    Women 25-54 Rating
    1. GH 0.62 (same/-.13)
    2. DAYS 0.6 (same/-.02)
    3. Y&R 0.46 (same)

Day-To-Day Ratings – HH/Total Viewers
    Monday: 1.64/2,287,000 (repeat)
    Tuesday: 1.54/2,056,000 (repeat)
    Wednesday: 1.69/2,228,000 (repeat)
    Thursday: 1.66/2,218,000 (repeat)
    Friday:

​​​​​​​Source: SON

So basically by default Days will be the number one soap in all categories including total viewers. There is only 200,000 viewers separating the two shows now.

People can say that the classics are better more than half of the audience is gone. That just says that there is an audience for Y&R as it is now.

CBS May be paying bottom line for these episodes but the returns aren’t going to hold if it continues to drop.

Comment

• Shalaydra75
      Shalaydra75 commented
      Editing a comment
      Reruns rarely capture the numbers of a new episode. These numbers simply show that soaps have not keep pace with the demo that watches it. Y&R and all other soap had fewer than 400,000 viewers in the key demo for over a year. I pray that I am wrong but I fear that soaps will face the same fate as westerns.

I don’t care what the ratings are right now—I love Y&R now!

Comment

Originally posted by Smithey View Post
      I don’t care what the ratings are right now—I love Y&R now!
      I love it too, I am recording the show again for the first time since Nick did Phyllis on the butcher block. I will take these reruns over the current show any day.

Comment

There were a couple of posters that said that the show will get more viewers or hold with classic episodes.

Also I will agree that the spike is the lack of people watching on delayed viewing. However, the show has always had over 4 million viewers once delayed viewing is factored in. Which has always been my point.

As for the show doing worst than the year before. That is network tv as a whole.

My ultimate point is that for all those who say the show is unwatchable; the two million viewer erosion shows that there is an audience for the show as it is now and find it watchable.

For me I want them to get back to work as soon as it is safe and from recent news it is beginning to look like sooner rather than later.
        Last edited by bronxgal; May 20, 2020, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Like most who used to be long time soap watchers, I have seen these episodes before, so I don't feel the need to see them again. It's nice to reminisce at times, but I'm sure that with youtube, you can do that practically anytime, so it's not a big deal to me to watch now.

Comment

I’m sure people tuned out what with all the weekly virus briefings pre-empting the show either partially or completely. I know I have missed out on a few.

i will add that I’m loving seeing the classics during this down time and tune in everyday unless pre-empted.

Comment

The show was preempted for more than a month before new shows ended. The reality is that YR lost 2 million viewers in 3 weeks and 40% of its demos. I'm optimistic that they will be back in the studios around the 4th of July because once the Stay At Home orders end,I'm worried how low those numbers could go.

Comment

Wonder how the show will handle love scenes? What with the pandemic and all. Just wave at each others or throw kisses or say "I love you" from at least 6 feet?

Comment

• creation
                  creation commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Seems like most soaps were practicing their version of social distancing even before there was such a thing, since they only showed the same few people/characters over and over again, no longer using a lot of them anymore anyway.

I watch more now with the classics on, than I did before with the new sl's. I love the show.

Comment

Originally posted by karin2337 View Post
                  I watch more now with the classics on, than I did before with the new sl's. I love the show.
                  But 2 million fans watch less now with the classics on than with the new sls.So this will make the soap producers want to come back quicker imo

Comment

I think the soaps might suffer the same fate as other small businesses who could not survive the lockdown.

Comment

Originally posted by DallasGal View Post
                      I think the soaps might suffer the same fate as other small businesses who could not survive the lockdown.
                      YR and Bold have been renewed for 2 and 4 years respectively. I'm not worried about them going off the air just yet, but I'm worried about ad revenue and what the inevitable cuts will do to the quality of the show. Not to mention what restrictions they will have when filming resumes. And filming has to resume. Advertisers will not pay the same rate for repeats, especially when the show has lost more than 40% of its viewership.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoOfEach View Post

YR and Bold have been renewed for 2 and 4 years respectively. I'm not worried about them going off the air just yet, but I'm worried about ad revenue and what the inevitable cuts will do to the quality of the show. Not to mention what restrictions they will have when filming resumes. And filming has to resume. Advertisers will not pay the same rate for repeats, especially when the show has lost more than 40% of its viewership.
                        Yes, all of your points are exactly why I wonder if the soaps will survive this mess. The long time soap viewer has already seen what budget cutbacks can do to a show's production. And, the viewers fade away because there is no longer the mass generational viewers.

And, does the renewal guarantee it won't be cancelled? I doubt it since even actors with a contract can be fired or let go during the 13 week cycle.
                        Last edited by DallasGal; May 27, 2020, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DallasGal View Post

Yes, all of your points are exactly why I wonder if the soaps will survive this mess. The long time soap viewer has already seen what budget cutbacks can do to a show's production. And, the viewers fade away because there is no longer the mass generational viewers.

And, does the renewal guarantee it won't be cancelled? I doubt it since even actors with a contract can be fired or let go during the 13 week cycle.
                          Bold’s renewal was announced during the shutdown. So I think both Y&R and B&B’s making it through 2022 and 2024 respectively is assured. What happens after that is anyone’s guess but I would wager that they both move it CBS All Access if they no longer remain on traditional tv. Brad Bell has said as much about Bold moving to a digital platform.

The issue you bring up with generational viewers is not new and still CBS renewed both soaps. The tv landscaped is fractured that is not going to change anytime soon with HBO Max launching today and Peacock coming this summer.

No one knows what the budget will look like or how it will affect the show. My guess is the crews will take the brunt of it because many shows not just soaps will be shooting with reduced staff.

And yes, I think viewers will return just like they return in the fall for the primetime or cable. We aren’t dumb this isn’t like OJ where there was something else to watch. We know that this is a shut down. And an extraordinary circumstance.

I am going to remain positive about the situation.

Comment

• SheilaFan32
                            SheilaFan32 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Me too Bronxgirl. Because The bold and the beautiful and the young and the restless aren't going nowhere.

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X