Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remember when Michael was a multi faceted character?

Collapse

Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember when Michael was a multi faceted character?

The classics remind me of what a great character he used to be. Sharp as nails and cunning as a fox. I use to despise Michael. Then I use to love to hate him. Now he's become completely irrelevant. Someone decided to create a family around him and while adding Kevin and Gloria wasn't a bad idea, it was the start of him being a diluted version of himself. Now he's this muted, castrated, Victor Newman butt kisser. Michael use to be so interesting and now he's lucky if he gets screen time. JG needs to go.

My problem with bringing on Gloria and Kevin is that Michael was always put in a compromising position given his career because these two were always doing something illegal. Kevin stalked Colleen and started the fire at Gina's that almost killed her. Gloria tampered with the face cream at Jabot that caused terrible reactions in some customers and they were suing Jabot. Michael has never been a saint but he spent most of time trying to get Gloria and Kevin to stay in line.

The one story in recent years about Michael was his cancer. The writers barely wrote any story for Michael but we knew he was diagnosed. Then, all of a sudden Michael was cured. If I am not mistaken didn't Lauren have the affair with Carmine because Michael shut her out? If so, Lauren had more of a story than Michael.

These days, Michael sits around CL chit chatting with Lauren and sipping coffee.

There are times that I don't think it matters who is writing since the budgets are so low that all the beats of a story are not played out. For example, last week Michael was seen going on a job interview with a random character. If that were a story now, I bet we would not see it but just be told that Michael got the job. I am actually surprised that Vicki and Billy had an actual therapist.

Comment

It was fun to see Michael in full weasel/lawyer mode, but I would take Michael in any mode. There is room for the Fisher/Baldwin family and I hope whatever reboot we get has room for Michael, Lauren, Kevin, and even Chloe. Oh, add Gloria, too.

Comment

IMHO and I have voiced this before - Michael has not been interesting since he and Loren got married.

Comment

Funny was I read the title of this post before I got home last night and watched Mondays us episode, and it made yesterdays episode made me long for the days when Michael wasn't Victor's very own personal do boy. it seems Michael is only around now when victor needs something.

Comment

All characters should be multi-faceted, but at the same time the characters should grow, right? Michael was a troubled character that paid for his crimes and earned his respectability back. it makes sense to me that he is uber focused on being on the straight and narrow. But this is where writing comes in. He can be multi-faced and still remember what he's been through. I think the addition of Kevin and Gloria was good for Michael because it showed him trying to do the right thing, but still willing to risk it all for his family.

Now....they rarely show Michael in a legal sense and they barely show Lauren or his family. It's not about him being multi-faceted. It's about the recent regimes making a choice not to write for him.

Comment

Pretty hard to be multi-faceted when Michael is on once a month. As for being irrelevant or diluted that has nothing to do with him having a family and everything to do with him never getting story. He and Lauren were going to make Adam pay for blackmailing Michael into becoming DA over their son? What happened to that story? It was dropped so Adam can be less dark and Amanda could be become the "top attorney in town".

Comment

• Forever Fan
                Forever Fan
                Board Regular
                Forever Fan commented
                Editing a comment
                A few people have implied or said that Amanda has taken Michael's place as the "top attorney in town." I disagree. Remember that writers stopped developing story for Michael, Paul and Lauren a couple of regimes ago. The under utilization of Michael Baldwin began long before Amanda joined the show last year. Also, Amanda just took a job with Billy & Lily. Amanda referred to herself as "top attorney in town" when she was negotiating with Billy.
                But that's not the role she's playing.

Didn't there used to be more than one lawyer when the show can afford them? There was Leslie, Avery, Paul's daughter, Heather, and Michael, all as lawyers approximately 10 years ago or under M.A.B. regime years (2009 - 2012) and the next regimes (2013 - 2016 or JFP/Pratt years). Now, sets are cut off or gone and there is still no Michael or Paul shown (not just under previous EP also now under this EP, still no Paul or he shows up like once every 6 months. I remember, at least two lawyers representing 2 parties in court room handling cases. Now, even lawyers stories are gone. Also cop stories are gone, too. All we have is back and forth conversations between the same people or group or pairs of people.

Comment

Originally posted by lmfan View Post
                Pretty hard to be multi-faceted when Michael is on once a month. As for being irrelevant or diluted that has nothing to do with him having a family and everything to do with him never getting story. He and Lauren were going to make Adam pay for blackmailing Michael into becoming DA over their son? What happened to that story? It was dropped so Adam can be less dark and Amanda could be become the "top attorney in town".
                I would love to see Michael and Amanda on opposite sides of a case. Stakes at an all time high. Both being on their A game, ruthless and doing whatever it takes to make their client win. YR use to excel at court room drama.

Comment

I liked seeing Michael as a sleazy attorney on Phyllis' team. I sure like the days of the Fisher family. I wish they could do some better scripts including them.

Comment

Originally posted by thecourt99 View Post
                    All characters should be multi-faceted, but at the same time the characters should grow, right? Michael was a troubled character that paid for his crimes and earned his respectability back. it makes sense to me that he is uber focused on being on the straight and narrow. But this is where writing comes in. He can be multi-faced and still remember what he's been through. I think the addition of Kevin and Gloria was good for Michael because it showed him trying to do the right thing, but still willing to risk it all for his family.

Now....they rarely show Michael in a legal sense and they barely show Lauren or his family. It's not about him being multi-faceted. It's about the recent regimes making a choice not to write for him.
                    Totally agree with you and feel it is a shame/crime that they are wasting one of the most talented actors on the show

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X