X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why not edit classic episodes to focus only on major characters/SL's

Concentrate on Newman’s, Abbott’s and Katharine Chancellor

Edit out minor/trivial characters !!!
    Last edited by ncposton; May 6, 2020, 08:41 AM. Reason: edited to clarify subject

Originally posted by kyzer sosay View Post

The real classics are about the Brooks and the Fosters.

Comment

Editing can be done from home, if some one had the equipment.

Someone is editing the shows now because the shows ran longer years ago so they are cutting some stuff out.

Comment

• Pamcho
        Pamcho commented
        Editing a comment
        They edit to get more commercials in. Shows used to be something like 42 minutes + 18 in ads, now they are 36 or 38 minutes + ads.

• llanviewlover
        llanviewlover commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes this is true, I've noticed that the "classic" shows are running 36 minutes or so minus commercials, which is the same length as today, even though the shows were indeed longer then. But I'm having a hard time telling where they've made any edits. They're doing a great job.

• ann1913
        ann1913 commented
        Editing a comment
        Y&R was a 1/2 hour show from the beginning until 1980.

Here's a game. Who do you consider to be minor/trivial?

The best thing about classic Y&R is that everyone had a role and played their part in moving the story forward. The story moved slower, so even the actors with a small amount of minutes impacted the story. So who would you edit out?

Why do I ask that question? Because no majority will ever agree on who needs to be removed. And that's why I don't think it needs to be done.

As for the editing, I didn't think about the fact that some editing had to have been done to cut the timing, but I have to think that a different level of editing is required to cut out characters. I am very happy with what I am seeing right now.

Comment

• soapgirl9
        soapgirl9 commented
        Editing a comment
        You make a great point. One person could say a specific character is minor, and someone else could completely disagree. It really depends on the person, and unfortunately you can't please everyone.

Since no one knows how long this shutdown will last, I guess they don't want to undertake all the time & effort it would take & the cost to edit s/l's together and cut old characters out. If this is going to be going on for months, they should consider doing it, because at some point, the novelty of watching old random shows will wear off. People will be more likely to tune in daily if the shows have continuity.

Comment

Because it would cost money. We are lucky to get these classic episodes.

Comment

Of course prople who really want to know can go to soapcentral.com choose Y&R, choose Who's Who in GC and read about a character be it Vanessa Prentiss or Nikki Newman. Character stats on marriages, divorces, kids etc. are given and then a quality summary. For tomorrow's show you might, for example, read about Drucilla or Sheila. Anyone watching this week should have read about Nikki/Victor.

I'm just happy CBS is doing this and that this site has great character summaries to fill in the blanks for anyone who is interested. BTW Who's Who lists characters by first name first and in another column by last name first so if you only know one or the other you can still find them.

Comment

Someone's minor trivial characters might be someone's favorites: For example, today's episode, besides the Newman/Abbott (Victor/Nikki and John/Jack); the others were Cricket (Christine) in scenes with Mrs. Chancellor and Mrs. C. is worrying about Phillip (Jill's and Mrs. C. dead husband's son) and wondering about his whereabouts and not suppose to drive because of his alcohol addiction. Jill's son, Phillip Chancellor, is the young man (played by Thom Bierdz) and he played a key role and he was also in scene with Danny Romalotti and he also played a key role, another family of him, his sister (Gina Romalotti, she ran the Athletic Club and used to sing at the Athletic Club, too). Y&R had so many families over the years, too, for example: Paul Williams, his mother (Mary Williams), his father (who was a cop) are one of the families that were also important and there was also Lauren, her mother, too. Christine/or/Cricket also had a mother, too. Of course there was also the other family of Dru, her sister, Olivia (the doctor or Nate's mother), Olivia's husband or Nate's father (Nathen, I believe was his name, little Nate, Neil Winters, his brother Malcolm, and Dru/Olivia's aunt Mame, and Lily was born to her parents, Drucilla/Neil. So, other families were: the Williams; the Winters (Neil, Dru, Lily, Malcolm); Aunt Mame (Dru/Olivia's aunt), there was the family of Olivia (Dru's sister, a doctor, and Nate's mother), her husband Nathan, and little boy or their son, Nate; there was the family of Danny Romalotti (he was in today's ep., talking to Phillip about Cricket and all of them are key characters, Danny Romalotti, Cricket/Christine, and Phillip (Jill's son by Mr. Chancellor, and Mrs. Chancellor really cared for her dead husband's son) and the story will continue with Nina (Crickets friend) getting pregnant for Phillip and so Nina got in the way by getting pregnant with Chance, so there is another key family of Phillip/Nina/Chance. Just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by kyzer sosay View Post

In the past, Victor Newman was a minor character, he was considered a villain and he had few appearances compared to the Abbott or the Williams family who even poorer was more important than him in the day to day storyline ... so I guess we should edit him out also,...​​​​​,

Comment

Originally posted by bronxgal View Post
                Editing can be done from home, if some one had the equipment.

Someone is editing the shows now because the shows ran longer years ago so they are cutting some stuff out.
                Editing the episodes for time it is a very easy job . It is very different than putting episodes together which require a lot of times and authorizations .

Comment

• bronxgal
                  bronxgal commented
                  Editing a comment
                  WorldTurner the only equipment they need is the right computer (Like a Mac Pro) and the right software.

I worked for two major media companies, I used to watch them edit from time to time all they had was a computer.

That is all they need as long as the episodes are in a digital format it can be done.

guichard yes it can take three months from script to air, but we are discussing previously created content and reediting them. And from film to air it can take as little as two to three weeks.
                  Last edited by bronxgal; May 10, 2020, 05:56 AM.

• TexasTango
                  TexasTango commented
                  Editing a comment
                  and of course the assumption is being made that there is someone who knows the entire history of the show and all the characters so they would know just what to keep and what to edit in and out. It's a lot more complicated than just getting a Mac Pro and a digital copy and since some of these shows are from 30 or more years ago they may not be digital and no one working now may know what went on that long ago - it's a cinch the current writers don't. The only people who know the complete story of a character are probably the actors in the role and those who interacted with them the most.

• bronxgal
                  bronxgal commented
                  Editing a comment
                  TexasTango Of course knowing where to edit is a different issue than the process itself. I also brought up the fact that the episodes would have to be digitized in the first place.

As for the actors many soap actors don’t remember what they do from day to day except for the big moments. For them it is one set of lines in and out and memorize the next set of lines.

But knowing the date and episode number of those episodes so someone can find when those moments are is a far more complex process I agree. I doubt an actor would know that off hand.

I am sure there is someone who can track episodes and the actors and plots involved.

Again it is possible but I should have made it more clear that it is a collaborative process between the editors, directors, show archivist (for lack of a better word), and producers of the show.

We will see plenty of the Newmans and Abbotts when they get back to filming. It’s not about whether anyone is available to edit these classics, it’s about who’s to decide who is and who is not a minor or trivial character. Just because newer viewers might not know who someone is doesn’t make them trivial or watching them an annoyance to us older fans. Much of the fun in seeing these archived episodes is experiencing beloved characters who are now long gone and remembering their lives and revisiting stories that once had us riveted and brought us so much joy in the past.
                Last edited by Good Kitty; May 6, 2020, 07:40 AM.

Comment

• Forever Fan
                  Forever Fan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great post! I enjoyed the Nikki/Victor and Katherine themes. But I liked the secondary stories with Dru, Mamie, Neil, Lily, Olivia, Lauren, Michael, Phyllis, Cricket, Sheila, Nina, Danny, etc. even more. I wouldn't consider any of these characters to be minor or trivial. People tune in to Y&R classics to see the full ensemble of characters.

I learned today all the writers were furloughed or laid off as of 3/23. I would think that would go for most of the crew. I really doubt they have the people available to edit shows other than for time.

Comment

People are definitely available.

Editing people need to work
                  especially after almost three
                  months.

One idea: say you’re a longtime
                  viewer who missed weeks from
                  five years ago... do the storylines
                  about Stitch and Kelly need to be
                  rebroadcast or are they really
                  irrelevant now?
                  Last edited by kyzer sosay; May 10, 2020, 11:15 AM.

Comment

I don’t know about editing anything but somebody in another thread suggested sticking with maybe one arc.Granted we don’t know how long the stoppage is going to be but if they stick to one arc they may have to shorten showing all of the episodes of an arc that would be OK. It would be more coherent that way I think. And those of us who don’t know what’s going on because we weren’t watching at that point it would help a lot.

Comment

Or you can record it and embrace the power of the fast forward button...

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X