X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RATINGS – Week of April - 20 - 24

SOC's recaps - Week of April 20 - 24

https://www.soapcentral.com/yr/recaps/2020/200420.php

Kyle and Summer set Theo up to pass off one of Jack's old ideas as his own. Kyle fired Theo. Adam refused to believe Victor's claim that Adam had killed A.J. to protect Hope. Victor lashed out at Nikki for violating his trust. Victor reinstated Victoria as CEO.

Total Viewers
    1. Y&R 4,042,000 (+200,000/-374,000)
    Households
    1. Y&R 2.94/9 (+.15/-.26)

Women 18-49 Viewers
    1. Y&R 367,000 (+30,000/-108,000)
    Women 18-49 Rating
    1. Y&R 0.56/5 (+.04/-.17)

Women 18-34 Viewers
    1. Y&R 93,000 (-2,000/-26,000)
    Women 18-34 Rating
    1. Y&R 0.27 (same/-.07)

Women 25-54 Viewers
    1. Y&R 562,000 (+31,000/-135,000)
    Women 25-54 Rating
    1. Y&R 0.92 (+.05/-.22)

Day-To-Day Ratings – HH/Total Viewers
    Monday: 2.93/3,968,000
    Tuesday: 2.92/3,956,000
    Wednesday: 2.93/4,087,000
    Thursday: 2.99/4,159,000
    Friday:

Source: SON

No ratings for Friday vintage?

Comment

What's with Friday? Best episode of the week! Surely they will count those ratings!!!

Comment

• soapgirl9
        soapgirl9
        Executive Poster
        soapgirl9 commented
        Editing a comment
        It doesn't look like they've been counting the rerun ratings for Fridays.

If you give your audience what they want, they will watch. The Price is Right is surging in the ratings now because they consistently give their viewers what they expect. If TPTB would drop back and reassess the show, writing the show with character over plot, the ratings would surge.

SON:
      Viewers are flocking to CBS’ “The Price is Right” as the legendary game show is achieving ratings highs not seen in more than four years.

For the week of March 30-April 3, 2020, the daytime broadcast leader in terms of viewers and numerous demographics posted its highest viewership numbers since the week of January 18-22, 2016, according to newly released Nielsen Media Research ratings data.

The first half-hour, titled “TPIR 1,” averaged 5.70 million viewers while the second half-hour, titled “TPIR 2,” averaged 6.53 million viewers. The show was up 77,000 viewers (“TPIR 1”) and 72,000 viewers (“TPIR 2”), respectively, compared to one week earlier.

Comment

• KaydenMayer
        KaydenMayer
        Lurking in the Shadows
        KaydenMayer commented
        Editing a comment
        The price is right is a game show. Its so easy to pick up. Stop

• Smithey
        Smithey
        Board Regular
        Smithey commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, TPIR is a game show, but the fact that if you give your viewers what they are looking for, the ratings will increase. We can apply the same fact to anything. If you give more sheets in toilet paper, sales increase. If you improve the taste in a menu item, the more people will buy it. If you have better writing, the ratings increase. Proven facts.

• bronxgal
        bronxgal
        I Let My Evil Twin Post For Me
        bronxgal commented
        Editing a comment
        The dynamics for a game show vs a scripted are different. TPIR has only changed hosts twice and the same games from the seventies.

TPIR’s show is pretty static either you into it or you aren’t it is pretty black and white when it comes to game shows.

Also, how do you know what the wants? The audience has held at four million I would say that is an improvement. So the audience must be satisfied if the number have actually gone up.

When it comes to fiction there is no universal answer. The numbers are up that is pretty much what the executives care about.
        bronxgal
        Last edited by bronxgal; April 29, 2020, 06:15 PM.

Originally posted by Smithey View Post
      What's with Friday? Best episode of the week! Surely they will count those ratings!!!
      Because they counted the classic episode the week before and it lost a million viewers and tanked the overall average for the week.

Sorry people hear classic they think repeat and want to do something else instead.

I doubt the network wants them counted since they do not do as well as the new episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by Smithey View Post
        If you give your audience what they want, they will watch. The Price is Right is surging in the ratings now because they consistently give their viewers what they expect. If TPTB would drop back and reassess the show, writing the show with character over plot, the ratings would surge.

SON:
        The Price is Right has always done better than YR, and is a totally different type of show. Game shows appeal to anyone, while soaps have a relative niche appeal. A teenager who is not in school is not watching YR on average. However, they will watch TPIR. Game shows and soaps IMO aren't a good comparison for this reason.

The show has done every pairing, every type of story, with rather tepid and inconsistent results. It's hard to say what the collective wants and if that will lead to results. As viewers we do not all want the same things from the show, I can assure you of that.

They were up 200,000 viewers from the week prior while dealing with daily preemptions in California/NYC/NJ in 2020. That week last year was the tribute to Kristoff St John. That's not bad at all, all things considering.

Comment

Originally posted by janesBydiction View Post

The Price is Right has always done better than YR, and is a totally different type of show. Game shows appeal to anyone, while soaps have a relative niche appeal. A teenager who is not in school is not watching YR on average. However, they will watch TPIR. Game shows and soaps IMO aren't a good comparison for this reason.

The show has done every pairing, every type of story, with rather tepid and inconsistent results. It's hard to say what the collective wants and if that will lead to results. As viewers we do not all want the same things from the show, I can assure you of that.

They were up 200,000 viewers from the week prior while dealing with daily preemptions in California/NYC/NJ in 2020. That week last year was the tribute to Kristoff St John. That's not bad at all, all things considering.
        Not True-Y&R was the reigning Daytime show until, Maria Bell's tenure. Until the last 3 regimes, Y&R dominated TPIR in the key categories. The problem with Y&R is only 1 (Newmans) and 1/2 (Abbotts connect to the Newmans) matter.

Comment

• KaydenMayer
          KaydenMayer
          Lurking in the Shadows
          KaydenMayer commented
          Editing a comment
          No, the show still does super well, neilson doesn't show the whole picture, We got delayed viewing, and streaming numbers. And Canada adds 700k viewers

• Shalaydra75
          Shalaydra75
          Board Regular
          Shalaydra75 commented
          Editing a comment
          How do you know that Canadians are not watching TPIR? People stopped watching Y&R when the Newmans became the featured family and bullies run amok. Before the second year of Maria Bell's tenure, every nail and salon I visited showed Y&R. I remember a time when people schedule their lunch break around Y&R. For people around me, Jill, Catherine and the Winters were the show. That is why showing the main families is the only way to capture a mass audience.

It's obvious the show continues to have over 4 million viewers because people are home. A few months ago ratings were eroding at an alarming rate and they were hitting record lows in every category. That's a fact. Acting like the show has healthy numbers when it's being inflated because people are home is a false narrative and very deceptive.

Comment

• Shalaydra75
          Shalaydra75
          Board Regular
          Shalaydra75 commented
          Editing a comment
          Last week it did not attract 4 million viewers.

• bronxgal
          bronxgal
          bronxgal commented
          Editing a comment
          Shalaydra75
          Board Regular
          Shalaydra75 last week they counted the classic episode in the ratings. The rest of the week was at around 4 million, the classic episode only had 3 million - around a million less than the rest of the week. It dragged the average down to below 4 million.

• bronxgal
          bronxgal
          bronxgal commented
          Editing a comment
          Again the show is holding. If the show is as a bad as some claim then they would have had the initial bump then dropped big time as the lock down moved on it hasn’t.

As for record lows every week that is not true. There were several weeks before the lock down that did not happen. Actually far more often than not, it didn’t. One just has to look at the previous weeks numbers to see that.

I have my complaints about the show but people have been stuck in their homes for over a month. There's literally hundreds of choices of other things to watch. Where I live the Governor has a press conference at 12 noon EVERY weekday. LA is the nations's 2nd largest tv market and they haven't had a full episode of YR in weeks (I think maybe 5 weeks they started right after the stay at home order). I see YR's timeline and it regularly gets interrupted for governor's reports in NY/NJ--the nation's largest tv market. And yet around 4 million people tune in to watch every day live or same day. These numbers don't count people like me who watch it on Demand or on the App. It doesn't count people who watch the show the next day (advertisers pay for L+3). People in the NY metro area and LA knew that YR's last episode before hiatus was going to be interrupted (they were told at the top of the hour to stay tuned for the pressers), and yet 4.1 million viewers nationwide still managed to watch.

Comment

If the show has the capability of achieving several million viewers OVER 4 million but is permanently stuck at 4 million (which is a false narrative by the way) why is 4 million the threshold for success? I fail to understand this narrative that because the show is averaging 4 million viewers fans should be happy with what's being shown onscreen when most of these characters are not being written in character. This show has consistently eroded viewers and held stable only because people are home. This pertinent fact is nothing to embrace. That's like saying my house is on fire but I wont worry because I have plenty of water. A renewal of 4 years means absolutely nothing if there is no one left to see it. If the show can attract 5 or even 6 million viewers NOW by regaining the viewers who left and/or new ones with a new HW who has vision are we are we going to settle for an unstable 4 million viewers that will most likely erode again by the end of the year? One doesn't have to settle for nostalgia or watch classic episodes to realize this YR is not going to work long term.

Comment

• Smithey
            Smithey
            Board Regular
            Smithey commented
            Editing a comment
            While the show might not get an estimated 6 million viewers ever again, once the pandemic/quarantine is over, will Y&R ever get 4 million viewers again?

Probably not.

We can go back and forth all day, but the reality is, the quality of writing is substandard to what it used to be. If we keep getting trash, the numbers will reflect that. Trash in, trash out.

• KaydenMayer
            KaydenMayer
            Lurking in the Shadows
            KaydenMayer commented
            Editing a comment
            Smithey i don't understand why you are here if you dislike the show so much,

• Smithey
            Smithey
            Board Regular
            Smithey commented
            Editing a comment
            Because
            kayden
            Lurking in the Shadows
            kayden, I love the show and want it to be the best it can be. I’ve watched it since it first came on. My comments aren’t negative—-they are meant to be constructive. I don’t want Y&R to be like those that have failed because of poor writing (GL and ATWT).
            Smithey
            Board Regular
            Last edited by Smithey; May 5, 2020, 06:55 AM.

So now 4 million is not good enough when a few months ago some swore it would never see that many live viewers a day. A couple of months ago people were waiting for the show to hit 3 million in the live plus same day metric.

Yes people are at home but they are choosing to watch the show. With so many options they are still choosing to watch week after week.

You are asking for a gain of a million to two million viewers, I don’t think a prime time show has seen that kind of gain outside of a series/season finale.

All of television had eroded. Not just soaps, which by the way GH, Days and B&B have not seen those huge gains you talk about either.

Are all of the HW’s awful? Or is the landscape just so fractured an crowded now that realistically there is a threshold for any tv show?

I get that you want the show to get higher numbers but no HW is going to change that. Again 500 scripted tv shows (not counting reality tv) and counting. Daytime soaps are more niche now more than ever.

By the way says that no one will be watching at the end of the four year renewal period?

I do not understand the narrative of constantly dismissing anything good that happens for the show.

bronxgal
          Last edited by bronxgal; April 30, 2020, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
          Working...
          X