Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y&R needs new blood and the vets

What an amazing opportunity to take a break and rethink the characters and stories for the Y&R's writers. I think the writers are keep writing some of the characters into a corner. They dont know what to do with Adam besides Adam vs Newmans. Billy and Victoria are both being written to a corner so is Nick and Phyllis. You can be a Phick fan but let's be honest both of these characters are written aimlessly. In the absence of Lola, what is next for Theo?

I think Y&R needs two things: (1) Bring some new fresh characters to interact with Billy, Adam, Victoria, Kyle, and Summer. I say bring Fen and Reed and pair them up! Noah should stay in town as well. Built the new generation. (2) Give vets some stories to interact with the others.

Build a good triangle for Billy and Victoria with someone very compelling and multi-dimensional.
    Adam needs something else to do. Soften his edges and put him and Abby into a complex business storyline.
    Daniel and Lucy should return and give Phyllis a new purpose.
    Vets are the key!!! Use Lauren, Paul, and Michael in a complex mystery story I say.

May be I am in the minority here but I think Y&R can benefit from reshuffling a bit.

Y&R had new blood named the Rosales and they were written off because they were new. They meshed well with all of the major players and Kyle found the love of his life in Lola. I agree that Billy needs someone because Victoria just isn't his person. Lola isn't going anywhere but to Miami for a day to check on her new restaurant so she'll be back to hang out with Theo.
    SoapQuest
    Board Regular
    Last edited by SoapQuest; April 19, 2020, 04:08 AM.

Comment

• Chatty Cakes
      Chatty Cakes
      Recurring Poster
      Chatty Cakes commented
      Editing a comment
      I enjoyed the family and was sad that the new higher up decided to get rid of them. Mia’s pregnancy was originally to be Rey’s until they did that sloppy rewrite and who knows where they’d be today. Arturo was great but not quite strong enough for Abby. Mother Rosales was gorgeous.

• SoapQuest
      SoapQuest
      Board Regular
      SoapQuest commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought Arturo and Abby were great. It was horrifying when JG turned their beautiful love into a nightmare. The Rosales were a breath of fresh air and since their departure this show has taken a swift nose dive into a trash bin.

Kudos,
    DOOLWill
    Board Regular
    DOOLWill !!! Your post is the best this board has seen in a while. Why? Because you stated the painfully obvious and it gives great solutions! The writing is key, and unless meaningful change is allowed, even your ideas won't matter. The powers that be should use this "down time" for a reshuffling (as you put it) and retooling. They shouldn't waste this opportunity! Newer characters like the Rosales family weren't integrated as they should have been and THAT is why they haven't been successful. It isn't because they were "simply new." Someone needs to be brought in that knows how to write for soap operas and they need to be in there NOW while everything is shut down.

To the powers that be: I repeat, DON'T WASTE THIS OPPORTUNITY! Please take our comments as constructive assistance, not criticism and not negativism. Fix the show while it can still be fixed.

Thank you!

Comment

Well we are about 3 weeks away from probably a summer hiatus from new episodes so they do have an opportunity for a reboot indeed

Comment

One caveat:

If the show - production is totally shut down the writers aren’t working either, so there is nothing to rethink.

Scripts and outlines are done, and paid for, will most likely be filmed immediately upon return. MS stated during an Instagram live yesterday that she filmed half an episode before the shut down.

What they will have to think about is how film while keeping the actors safety in mind. That is going to be the priority. Not storyline reboots.

The powers that be most likely aren’t changing anything if they were happy enough with the show enough to renew it.

Comment

• GwenSharonteam
        GwenSharonteam
        Senior Board Member
        GwenSharonteam commented
        Editing a comment
        Right now, writers can work at their home ... it’s only freelancer who still can be paid .. the only problem to see, if any writing now would be worth it , and they would not change everything when things would be filmed again ...

• bronxgal
        bronxgal
        I Let My Evil Twin Post For Me
        bronxgal commented
        Editing a comment
        GwenSharonteam
        Senior Board Member
        GwenSharonteam yes writers can work from home but from what I understand no new scripts are being produced now.

I think when they shut down production I think they meant all of it except for tweaks that need to be made to already written scripts to accommodate for social distancing.

Michelle Stafford said during an Instagram chat that she filmed half of an episode before the shut down. I doubt they will scrap it I think they will pick up where they left off.

This is my treatment for YR to improve the show by the character.

Billy/Lilly/Chance/Abby quad.
      Heather Stevens comes back to genoe city. She is a Private Eye now. Works with Chance and has romantic engtanglements with Nick/Billy/Chance/Nate.
      Heather reconects with Paul and they open a cold case on why Carl Williams dissaperred and there is a connection to Victor and Nikki. Carl found out that an old enemy of Paul/NIkki/Victor was alive with amneisia.

Devon/ElenaAbby triangle.

Summer leaves town. Kyle gets romantically involved with Mariah.

Micheal has an old friend that comes to town and cause problems between Lauren and Micheal and Laren digs up dirt on him and it blows up in her face.

Jack gets a new Love.

Chance and Nate get in trouble with a cover up.

Abbey vs Victoria at Newman.

Comment

• couplingchick
        couplingchick
        Executive Poster
        couplingchick commented
        Editing a comment
        I like most of it except too much Abby in everyone’s business... I don’t need her in everyone’s storyline. I’d rather see a Lilly/Billy/Amanda/Nate quad than anything involving Chance or Abby. I could go for another rivalry I suppose with Abby and Victoria at Newman.. both can be snarky and deceptive when need be.
        No to Kyle and Mariah... poor Kyle doesn’t deserve to be with another hateful and pessimistic woman who hates rich people ... he’s already been there and done that with Lola and it didn’t work. I can barely stomach Mariah and Kyle as friends because that to me is already far fetched considering their past with each other... a romance would NEVER work imo! I don’t mind Summer with Kyle and I’m interested to see where this relationship takes then now that they finally have a real shot at it. I always liked Kevin though with Mariah... they had a real and organic friendship imo that was believable and it worked ... I also thought they had great chemistry... I’d rather see GR with CG any day then seeing his character paired with Chloe but I’m afraid they’ll never go back to Mariah and Kevin.

I’d also love to have Heather Stevens back ( I loved when Vail Bloom played her myself ) and have a storyline with her father... it’s long past time Paul is brought back on the show and put in a front burner storyline. Also would love to see more Baldwin’s as well... whether that means bringing someone from Michale Baldwin’s past back or even bringing lauren and Michaels son Fenn back I just would like to see them on my screen more and for an added bonus I’d love to see his mom Gloria as well... she was always fun to watch!

I think the opportunity is to bring characters back that have been on the shelf for a long time. Think along the lines of Nate. New faces, but without a lot of the baggage of used up characters or contrived ways of linking them to the canvas(Theo).

Options include characters with a bit of history:
      Scott Grainger
      Heather Stevens

Characters with a lot of history:
      Daniel Romalotti
      Brittany Hodges

While some of these would be brand new actors which allow them to use newbies, they wouldn't have to start from scratch and would have reasons for all of these characters to be there. It would also save them having to SORAS characters prematurely. Imagine if instead of SORASing Summer and Fen, Scott Grainger and Nate had been brought in by that point. We would still have years of stories to tell about the character.

Example:
      Daniel returns to Genoa City and brings Lucy to visit her grandmother. Phyllis showing off her new digs at Grand Phoenix loves having her family close by and recalls her fight to keep them all together when Lucy was taken by the baby snatchers. With Michael not feeling the role of DA anymore Phyllis hatches a plan to get Heather to return to Genoa City as DA so she can have them all in town with her.

This puts Phyllis, Paul and Christine in each others orbits as they are all related via the kids marriage and they have to figure it out as Lucy views all of them as grandparents.

Comment

Sometimes, you have to be careful of what you wish ... I was dreaming of Chance’s return .. but sorry I preferred the old version of chance than the new one, .. nice in the eyes but really bad writing ..., the other has ptsd, problem because mum’s issue, .. dad’s issue .. this one note, one dimensional Chance , who’s there because he’s just good looking,. And look nice together with Abby doesn’t work for me ...

Layer him on .. by making Nina coming back even for a short time, .. interaction with Paul, and Christine .. unresolved feeling there ..., even light flirtation with Jack ...
        Chance is investigated because they’re some other stories that came out about from his cover, certainly not Phyllis involved, .. but Rey and Paul, ..trust issue .., can put Adam in danger and make him lose everything ,...Rey won’t be just a nice guy...., here he hold Adam’s life in his hand .. can he use it to finally get rid of him, and knowing than can affect Sharon ,... Chelsea , being a con , play dirt to make sure all about Adam is erased ...

Jack back in complete CEO,.. tried to flesh out a new fragrance ,... Kyle back in head of marketing department where he belong, largely backburned , go back to the root and as the main action scene, new group of chemist on town..does this time Jack can trust his team ,..., say goodbye to Dina,... chocking inheritance reveal ...Theo makes his way back from his dark side, not sure he is worth of Lola, had a short encounter with Kendra,... Lola has still to decide if she go for Theo or she just keep her dream of career, .. when she decided to go for Theo even she know Theo blew up, she saw Theo and Kendra ..., and let it until they find their way back, together, Theo work for Chancellor media ...

Billy/ Lily / Amanda / Victoria... Billy who could really end up with one of them, ... the love and history with Victoria , where feeling are still strong even they are not good for each other right now,... Amanda ... existing attraction,... and Lily , old friend but who know him so well, old feeling can come back, .. but from who ...

fleshing Nate ..., and new female character .. nurse or patient ..., find first case of flu ..

Elena/ Devon let them be, .. even if Devon has some travelling eyes toward Amanda ..., idea of kids starting coming ... Elena wanting, but Devon still scared of losing all like last time, shut her down the idea .. they’re conflicted ...

Sharon and Rey, stronger .. reality of Rey still wanted to be a father coming up ,... idea of adoption .. or Sharon seeing she doesn’t see herself being mum again, ..free Rey, end of Cancer storyline,..., Sharon shadow a psychiatrist, person from her past is coming, or old case with already a known patient who can bring trouble for her or love ones ..

yeap, writers can still be on duty ... , and really give something better of what we have now ...
        GwenSharonteam
        Senior Board Member
        Last edited by GwenSharonteam; April 18, 2020, 09:45 PM.

Comment

• GwenSharonteam
          GwenSharonteam
          Senior Board Member
          GwenSharonteam commented
          Editing a comment
          I didn’t say Billy need 3 women for him only, but it’s what happen now, .. you still have Victoria in his radar, even she says the opposite, and Amanda still play some long looking at him, means there’s still something there .. and with Lily they have past history ,so it stil can happen something .. I say possibility ... , and even I am not a fan of Amanda , I will say she’s better with Billy than Nate, and I really will go for a more new vibrant character fo Nate, that one who will definitely not end up with Billy or Devon,.. .. I like Nate and I don’t like Amanda but objectively this couple doesn’t work .. ...

Sorry Kyle is really a bad co-CEO, he’s still young and I don’t see why he cannot be just a head of department, which it’s still a good position..., I dream the time Jack Abbott would finally be CEO of Jabbot not his son, Kyle’s fans could still see taking this position in 5 or ten years ... I am not interest in Kyle as CEO but certainly Jack ...
          GwenSharonteam
          Senior Board Member
          Last edited by GwenSharonteam; April 19, 2020, 09:06 AM.

• bronxgal
          bronxgal
          bronxgal commented
          Editing a comment
          You cannot say “objectively“ Nate and Amanda do not work. To be objective means you are working from facts alone without bias or opinion This is all opinion. And Nate and Amanda have been flirting for months. She needs a man free of drama after Ripley and Billy.

For a lot of people Nate and Amanda do work and they will be the sweet light romance people need to see when the show comes back. And a lot of people don’t think Billy and Amanda work at all.

Also, with the virus I don’t see a lot of new hires in the near future.

As far as Kyle being co-CEO I am not holding his age against him. There are a lot of 30-something CEO’s it is the world of 2020. Jack is still ultimately calling the shots.

• GwenSharonteam
          GwenSharonteam
          Senior Board Member
          GwenSharonteam commented
          Editing a comment
          Ah ah, good one, and you’re certainly right . ..but my objectivity was coming I don’t have any horse on her, I am not interested in her storyline ... but for the few I saw , I would definitely see more sparkle with Billy than Nate, but you’re right it’s still subjective 😉 ...

For the Nate flirtation , it would to be too long to elaborate but yeah. There’s a lot of Nate in a woman’s life, the one we hope all this flirtation will be for us , the thing, .. but yeah at the end, even with a dozen of date with this guy, it happen nothing,.. there’s just a friendly vibe, and never the thing , even you try and try by dating for long you can remember ... but you’ll always come back with this guy between what you call real romance, or real love story because after being hurt, you’ll think again then this nice guy would be a safe place, and you won’t be hurt like with the other men you just left, you certainly like him but you definitely never fall in love with him even there’s a nice flirtation ... so you’ll try again .. until one of you will end this endless circle .. and really it’s what I see with Nate and Amanda , but I just my humble opinion 😉

And for Kyle. ... I am old school, sorry .. I am the generation we fight to work 10 or 20 years to be head of department or CEO, so seeing than Kyle even not after 2 years in a head department position want the CEO seat, doesn’t work for me,... the 30’s something are CEO on their own startup most of it, ... and I met too many to really want to work for them ... , I prefer the old whisky and the good wine 😁... but thank you it was fun ...

Whatever happened all storyline, would know a gap, ... because I don’t think they will start over on the months they couldn’t filmed .. so certainly the month of April and May would never existed in real time, and we will find them back in summer time, if the studio are lucky to open up end of May and starting shooting again ...so what could happened during those two months can let in all imagination .. or used of flashback if needed ...,... plenty primetime shows do well the gap tunnel from one season to another, and starting the new seasons months later .., and I really prefer,.. than fake continuity where you see physically different hair cut or appearance to some casts but you have to think it’s the day after, from the last episodes we saw 4 months earlier... real disconnection ...

Comment

• GwenSharonteam
          GwenSharonteam
          Senior Board Member
          GwenSharonteam commented
          Editing a comment
          I thought also in the beginning they don’t, but they do, ... you’ll see that the 4th July will always be in the real week, and Christmas , or Saint Valentine, also ..l so I really think they will make a gap, and jump directly in summer, otherwise they have the Christmas on February next year,...

• bronxgal
          bronxgal
          bronxgal commented
          Editing a comment
          GwenSharonteam
          Senior Board Member
          GwenSharonteam If the show doesn’t come back until June chances are it will air after July 4th so need to mention it. After that is there any real acknowledgement of seasons until Christmas.

And with Victor’s gala I don’t think Valentines Day was mentioned at all this year. They can skip easily without a gap just put them in some summer wardrobe and keep the storylines the same.

• GwenSharonteam
          GwenSharonteam
          Senior Board Member
          GwenSharonteam commented
          Editing a comment
          bronxgal
          bronxgal , we will see .. but you could be right... but they will decide certainly not to emphases too much on summer type of episode, they usually do and make them seasonless until they can pick up on episode ...

Originally posted by DOOLWill View Post
        What an amazing opportunity to take a break and rethink the characters and stories for the Y&R's writers. I think the writers are keep writing some of the characters into a corner. They dont know what to do with Adam besides Adam vs Newmans. Billy and Victoria are both being written to a corner so is Nick and Phyllis. You can be a Phick fan but let's be honest both of these characters are written aimlessly. In the absence of Lola, what is next for Theo?

I think Y&R needs two things: (1) Bring some new fresh characters to interact with Billy, Adam, Victoria, Kyle, and Summer. I say bring Fen and Reed and pair them up! Noah should stay in town as well. Built the new generation. (2) Give vets some stories to interact with the others.

Build a good triangle for Billy and Victoria with someone very compelling and multi-dimensional.
        Adam needs something else to do. Soften his edges and put him and Abby into a complex business storyline.
        Vets are the key!!! Use Lauren, Paul, and Michael in a complex mystery story I say.

May be I am in the minority here but I think Y&R can benefit from reshuffling a bit.
        From what I hear rewrites are happening now.

Comment

I would not be surprised if
          TPTB took this opportunity
          to dump several lower end
          contract players and vereran
          recurring types.

I cannot see any veterans/characters
          reappearing before November
          firsr. It’s doubtful any new
          episodes network series
          will start filming before mid June.

With taping basically stopped
          at least until July 1 (Phass 3
          followup), this might be a
          great time to reboot certain
          storylines and abandon others.
          kyzer sosay
          Senior Board Member
          Last edited by kyzer sosay; April 19, 2020, 01:18 PM.

Comment

I would like to see Sheila back on Y&R. With her grown kids Daisy and Ryder. Sheila being in a new storyline.

Comment

• couplingchick
              couplingchick
              Executive Poster
              couplingchick commented
              Editing a comment
              I liked Ryder but I could pass on Daisy... she was as crazy as her mother Shelia lol. Isn’t Daisy the mother of Daniels kid Lucy though?

If I may be critical: Y&R has had several opportunities to have veteran, popular soap actors join their show, and they blew it.These were Daytime Emmy winners~ Cady McClain, Michael E Knight (Silas had chemistry with Ashley) Darnelle Williams, Vincent Izsary, Ddbbie Morgan

They were all there for a storyline, I'm not saying they all should be integrated into regular cast, but they should have kept a couple.

Comment

• GwenSharonteam
              GwenSharonteam
              Senior Board Member
              GwenSharonteam commented
              Editing a comment
              Beside Ian Ward character, YR never really managed to do well to the soap stars who were coming even for a short storyline,...for real it’s really Colin Atkinson( Tristan Rodgers) who had at the end through the years did the longest run. Otherwise, it’s was always a great waste of great talents ...

• ncposton
              ncposton
              Board Regular
              ncposton commented
              Editing a comment
              Not to mention Maura West as Diane Jenkins

• SUDSYFUN
              SUDSYFUN
              Lurking in the Shadows
              SUDSYFUN commented
              Editing a comment
              Maura West as Diane Jenkins was one of the saddest uses of such a spectacular actress.

Originally posted by DOOLWill View Post

Adam needs something else to do. Soften his edges and put him and Abby into a complex business storyline. - Yes! I like this idea, something to do with the new hotel she is building. Billy and Victoria in a love triangle - that's a no for me! Sick of those two together. All they should be is "co-parents." Phyllis needs something else to do for sure and so does Nick besides ranting and raving about Adam. What about pairing him up with a woman who moves into one of his "New Hope" apartments, but she has like a drug problem and he tries to help her overcome it, but she is resistant to his help. I don't want him to "rescue" her, but help her to overcome her addiction. You could bring back Reed, Fen and Noah, but we would need new, younger women on the canvas for them. There is Maddie Ashby, she could be one, but we need more. I would love to see Lucy, Phyllis' granddaughter come back as a young teenager who is out of control and being sent to live with Phyllis for a while and gives Phyllis fits because she is just like HER! LOL. Lucy could become friends with Faith, which Sharon is very wary about.

Comment

I'm not going to talk much about specific characters in this comment. I am going to say that, in general, YR needs to do a much better job of developing new characters while still retaining the needed core of vets.

At one point with another soap I watch, I felt overwhelmed by too much focus on too many new characters. And I don't want to see that excess on YR!!! However, I also realized that good development and good use of some of those characters has enabled that show to create stories which don't revolve around the same characters weaving in and out of the same love stories and the same business battles for decades. Excess repetition is making me lose interest in YR.

There is a happy middle road to be found here!!!
              caitie
              Aspiring soap scribe
              Last edited by caitie; April 22, 2020, 10:54 PM.

Comment

• SUDSYFUN
                SUDSYFUN
                Lurking in the Shadows
                SUDSYFUN commented
                Editing a comment
                Great post. Agreed. There are already newer characters on the canvas that just need to be developed more and have such great potential alongside the vets. It would be the best of both worlds.

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
            Working...
            X