• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YRRanger
    Aspiring soap scribe
    • Nov 2006

YR knows how to ruin favorite characters

I don’t even recognize two of my favorites- Mariah and Kyle. Both are not who they once were. They are written rather pathetic now. JMO

I’m exaggerating with “ruined”... but does anyone else feel that some of their favorites are no longer acting like they were just a year ago?

If so... which characters?
  • Ninergirl
    Senior Board Member
    • Oct 2007

Thank goodness they changed Kyle, but I like Mariah more feisty

Comment

• PattiePancake
      Recurring Poster
      • Nov 2018

I am very disappointed in the writing for Kyle. Although I didn't like his behavior when he returned to GC, he was much more interesting and exciting then than he is now. Now he's just a whiney baby, begging Lola to love him. What happened to that young man who had dreams (or delusions) of being CEO? What happened to the schemer who tricked Billy into his downfall? His character is being wasted in this love sick puppy act.

And yes, Mariah has become blinded by love for Tessa. She who can call out everyone else's dysfunction (including her own mother) but can't turn that same critical eye on herself. It's so unbelievable. I need both of these characters to go back to who they were. Their talent is being wasted in these silly, storylines that have no substance.

Comment

• CouchCruisin'
        CouchCruisin' commented
        Editing a comment
        This right here. ^ ^ ^
        I love this post and you are spot on!

• YRRanger
        YRRanger commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, Patty... you nailed it in your post.
    • Smithey
      Board Regular
      • Feb 2018

I loved when Michael Mealor (new Kyle) first came on. He wasn't all good nor all bad. Now he's barely milquetoast. Mariah has also lost her whatsey.

Reminds me of Christine and Paul years ago when Josh started changing them from multilayered characters to their current, pitiful states.
      Last edited by Smithey; March 7, 2019, 07:39 AM. Reason: misspelled name

Comment

• Benny Maths
        Benny Maths commented
        Editing a comment
        I just watched the begining of the episode where Paul and Christine got remarried. It says: written by: Josh Griffith, Tracy Thomson, Shelly Altman, Brent Boyd and Janice Ferri Esser, so maybe JG stopped writing for the show in August, but the episode with Katherine's memorial and Paul&Chris's wedding, aired in the begining of September was still his work and it was a pretty good one.

If you want someone to blame for Paul and Chris going after Victor, blame Mal Young because he was the one who did that. Moreover, MY who was only able to write for 8 characters wasn't as talented as William Bell who was able to write for 20 characters. And let's not mention the way MY treated actors...

Josh Griffith did a good job with Paul & Lauren's friendship in 2007 and in 2012-2013. I hope we'll get a chance to see these two interacting again.

• Smithey
        Smithey commented
        Editing a comment
        Mal continued to write poorly for Paul and Christine. There is no excuse for that, but Mal wrote very well for the contract actors. More balanced than anyone after Bell, Sr.

Good night.

• Benny Maths
        Benny Maths commented
        Editing a comment
        Mal Young took out of contact all the actors he didn't want to write for... so is it really glorious he was able to write for the few he kept? He robbed Doug Davidson and his fans of Doug's 40th anniversary with Y&R. There are no words to describe the way he treated the actors who made Y&R. He was the worst executive producer and headwriter the show has ever had. I'm glad he's gone and I would like the idiots who hired him and allowed him to hurt so many people to be fired too.
    • lawyer&mobster
      Board Regular
      • Jun 2010

I don’t think anyone is ruined or Beyond repair. That comes down to writing and unfortunate were in a weird transition phase with writers so it’s hard to figure out wha is going on I think. Everything seems to be very plot driven Versus Character Driven.

Kyle and Lola are the two that I don’t know what the hell happened.

Kyle came on tthe scene as this greyish conniving young guy that was so interesting. Where he should be focused on Jabot and finding his place amount the Abbotts..but no, his main storyline has been about being a boyfriend and who is dating. It’s such a waste of MMs talent and Charisma and the potential of Kyle Abbott as a powerful lead.

Lola in the beginning was a little spitfire but also very chill and sweet. Where is that young woman who basically told Kyle she wasn’t here for games and that she liked him but didn’t need him. She got in a relationship and all of a sudden she has all these Insecurities about money and sex. And she is consistently breaking up with Kyle. It’s like where did all her maturity go?

But the on the other hand there are some characters that are being written very true to character. Like Phyllis and Sharon for an example and everything going on with them is very on brand for their characters.
      Last edited by lawyer&mobster; March 7, 2019, 12:38 AM.

Comment

• Kehinde
        Kehinde commented
        Editing a comment
        Especially Lola. In the beginning, I loved her. She never backed down, was all about business, wasn't the jealous type, set her brothers straight...she knew what she wanted. Her and Kyle had a great relationship and we're in good place. Fen tried to be an interference but with no luck. But the writer needed to do something to separate the two, so they let pursegate and insecurities about being a virgin and Snowflake happen, her character went down hill.

The writer can be forgiven if she goes back to how she was in the beginning when she wakes up.

• YRRanger
        YRRanger commented
        Editing a comment
        Great replies from both of you. Yep, Lola is another one. WTH?
    • PaintedPony
      Board Regular
      • Feb 2018

Originally posted by YRRanger View Post
      I don’t even recognize two of my favorites- Mariah and Kyle. Both are not who they once were. They are written rather pathetic now. JMO

I’m exaggerating with “ruined”... but does anyone else feel that some of their favorites are no longer acting like they were just a year ago?

If so... which characters?
      The site went down when the server went down. It's up again, but I'm seeing weird things like you writing don't as don’t and then there was “ruined”. (whatever that word was supposed to be.)

I'm seeing it in other posts too.

Comment

• WorldTurner
        WorldTurner commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh thank you. I'm seeing the weird things too but nobody was commenting so I thought maybe it was t maybe it was just me. It is interesting to try to guess what some of those words are supposed to be!

• CouchCruisin'
        CouchCruisin' commented
        Editing a comment
        Not only is everything messed up, but the system keeps logging me out.

• JordanM
        JordanM commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh Thank God! I thought it was just me too and was experiencing medical issues.
    • Mandy_
      Contract Poster
      • Dec 2006

I agree Kyle, Lola, Mariah are all characters that I like less than I did. They aren’t on my fast forward list. They are just on the meh list.

Comment

• YRRanger
        YRRanger commented
        Editing a comment
        I liked your comment: meh list. LOL
    • thecourt99
      Aspiring soap scribe
      • Jun 2008

Mariah can be saved. I think what has shocked me most is that she considered leaving the country to make Tessa feel better, while her mother was on trial for murder. She was going to leave her mother to help Tessa get a change in scenery. That was....whoa.

Kyle? I liked him as a badazz myself. Falling for Lola turned him into a different person.

Comment

• CouchCruisin'
        CouchCruisin' commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree. Mariah and Kyle are like, pod people.

• mixtropolis
        mixtropolis commented
        Editing a comment
        I've felt Mariah has been pathetic since day one when she debut as Cassper and I've been waiting for her to die ever since.
    • Emerald Greens
      Aspiring soap scribe
      • Feb 2006

I’m not bothered too much by Mariah and have no issue with Lola. When Kyle returned he was a jerk but started improving. I still think he’s better than when he returned but he’s maintained one of the flaws that does the character no favors in that he’s kind of weak. The sl’s are problematic and none of the Abbott’s have much to do even when they are on screen a fair amount.

I don’t disagree that characters can be messed up but it’s nothing new . They did that to Kevin so much it’s hard for me to miss him although I love GR .

Comment

• TeamBB
        Board Regular
        • Jun 2017

I’m not surprised Kyle changed or the writing for Kyle changed, due to The Abbott family can’t have shady men, I mean Billy is flawed beyond everything and Jack have his moments(given they supposed to be this respectable family). So Kyle can still be sharp but not so watered down to support this lackluster pairing with Lola

Mariah, I always felt was unnecessary because CG just comes off awkward with the interactions with the cast. I felt more should have been put into developing Noah instead of this over done storyline of Sharon not knowing she had another child. Mariah has always been judgmental, thinking she is morally better than others so I don’t see much change there, just added with her obsession with a woman she carelessly
        got by interrupting her brother’s relationship

Lola is too black and white, characters need some gray. Lola is they typical virgin good girl equals boring with no personality. Lola could have been an experienced young woman with a heart of gold, confident in her relationship but not afraid to fight for her man and function in an adult relationship with all that comes with it. But she is not meeting Kyle half way and using her virginity as a means to break up with him every two seconds coming off extremely childish. The writers should have developed Lola more and decided where to go with her instead of throwing her in a relationship with Kyle or anyone for that matter

Comment

• Rubythroat1
          Aspiring soap scribe
          • Jan 2014

J.T. was never a favorite, but I generally liked him. All of a sudden he is an abusive, homicidal maniac who can't stay dead or buried.

Summer was always a bit spoiled and selfish--but never a narcissistic, manipulative, inhuman and indecent worse version of her mother.

Comment

• megmigraine
            megmigraine commented
            Editing a comment
            I keep thinking they would some time explain the 180 in Summer’s character from a “snowflake” to a tsunami, like some trauma occurred in her travels, but nada
        • megmigraine
          Aspiring soap scribe
          • Jun 2009

I keep hoping Kyle is secretly planning some secret revenge on Arturo and Rey for all of their crap, but I doubt it. Would be nice if he at least clued Abby in about the rat she is going to marry, but she seems to never stand up for him or Summer when the Rosales boys go off the deep end. Add her to the list of characters being ruined by the Rosales family.

Comment

• llanviewlover
            Board Regular
            • Sep 2008

I'm disappointed Kyle would allow himself to get trapped into a loveless marriage with Summer. I guess it's supposed to be coming off as he's doing this noble thing for Lola but he just comes across as pathetic. He should have exposed her to Lola's family and to Phyllis and Nick, and shamed her into doing the donation.

Comment

• megmigraine
              megmigraine commented
              Editing a comment
              Not only has he become boring love triangle fodder with no ambition any more but he has lost his brain.
          • xoregonian
            Aspiring soap scribe
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by PaintedPony View Post

The site went down when the server went down. It's up again, but I'm seeing weird things like you writing don't as don’t and then there was “ruined”. (whatever that word was supposed to be.)

I'm seeing it in other posts too.
            I tried to reply to this three times last night before I gave up. Couldn't get a post to work anywhere on these boards.

It seems like many of the apostrophes are being replaced by a weird grouping of characters. Makes it very hard to read for sure.

Comment

• GuidingLite
              Aspiring soap scribe
              • Sep 2004

I have to say that over the years Y&R has, like most soaps, made some characters that I used to love a lot more 'unwatchable' for me.....

Victor Newman is a prime example....he's gone so far to alienate everyone he claims to care about, done so many things that have resulted in death (Patty and Colleen), and sexual assault (Marco with Phyllis), kidnapping (Jack), he's a horrible, horrible person and the character is, for me, absolutely ruined beyond the point that he could donate every last cent of his fortune to charity and turn the ranch into a shelter for orphans and kittens....and I'd just be waiting for him to poison their drinking water for his own gain.

Ashley is now ruined for me, too, with her scheme to make Jack think he wasn't an Abbott...because it involved manipulating the mind of her alzheimer's diagnosed mother! How does someone do that no matter WHAT justification they think they have????

Summer - she's become a horrible, horrible person.....

There are, in reality, very few completely likeable characters on the show any longer. Traci, Mariah I consider a 'rough around the edges, but generally a good person' character.....and to some degree Michael...and Lauren...they have their moments when they are sort of shady, but I still like them.....

The writers, in making everything so plot driven, have changed many of the characters so drastically they are almost unrecognizable....

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
              Working...
              X