Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What will Mal Young be remembered for from his time at Y&R?

Collapse

Ad Below Title

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The loss of the veterans has been the hardest. At least Neil's absence was explained, and it sounds like KST will be returning soon. Now the new writer just needs to rectify what happened to Paul and bring him back, and let us see more of the Baldwins.

It's been nice to see Jill again.

Comment

Here's how I'll remember his writing:

This guy didn't know how to write the build up for a romantic relationship. Couples seemed to be like jello thrown on the wall to see what stuck.

This guy didn't know how to write with humor. Where was the light humor? The show was mostly dark and dull. There was potential for Kyle to be light and funny but now he's Lola's prop.

This guy didn't know how to write solid friendships. When Hillary died, the only friendship I thought was well done (Hillary/Jack) died with it.

This guy didn't know how to tie things together. A detective appears in the story. Who does he work for? Why did he suddenly appear? Just an example of stories not be woven well together.

That's my assessment.

Comment

• geraldine123
        geraldine123 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep. The throw it against the wall mentality was his main modus operandi. And even when the stuff didn't stick, he went ahead with a nonsensical story.

• timepass
        timepass commented
        Editing a comment
        Great comment!

• CashierJudy
        CashierJudy commented
        Editing a comment
        Tonymoby, yes! I miss Kevin and I miss Gloria so much. They lightened up scenes and had me glued....what would they be up to next? They could be so funny! There's no one I watch in that way now. It's Snoozeville.

Out of character writing and Phyllis overload! A lot of characters are unlikable now.

Comment

Horrible writing and turning Y&R into the Phyllis & Rosales family.....basically the attempted destruction of Y&R.....JMO

Comment

He's the one who made me stop watching the show. The way Doug Davidson was treated was unfair, disloyal, disrespectful, cowardly, classless and unforgivable.

Comment

• CashierJudy
            CashierJudy commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup...that was bad. They didn't even write a farewell story for him!!!! Gotta say as an older person I felt that pain. It's the way many people feel as they age and are disregarded no matter how much seniority they have. Disrespect.

I have no idea who handles making decisions on actors and stories, but I bet MY had the bulk of the input on the writing. I just don't believe he was told who to write for, and that the network and Sony said don't use the vets but constantly use new characters you haven't really introduced or integrated. The blame for that, rightly or wrongly, will fall on him, and some of the uproar about which actors left or were pushed out didn't have to happen. The disgraceful way DD was treated may be on Sony, but the writing for Paul, or lack of it falls on him.
          I do think he did some good things, I liked the faster pacing of most stories, (we won't go into the everlasting JT saga). But IMO, most of his decisions just didn't work for American soaps.

Comment

• CashierJudy
            CashierJudy commented
            Editing a comment
            soccermommy, I agree. At a minimum they should have had a good story for Paul to leave. Instead he disappeared. Seems to me, he's the person GCPD should be looking for! Because I believe viewers really noticed the snub.

• lmfan
            lmfan commented
            Editing a comment
            Nobody has guarantees of four days a week nor should they when others are being taken off contract. It's interesting, Mal was invested in an Alzhieimer's story so brought back recurring Dina and played her heavy his first year. That was a writer's choice. He brought back JT and even talked about how he plotted out the story with TL even though Thad had not been on the show for years and was not a contract character. That was a writer's choice but somehow playing three time Emmy winner Christian LeBlanc a paltry 23 episodes all year, only allowing Michael and Lauren to share 4 episodes together all year and rushing Rey to be the police presence over Paul was not his choice? I don't believe that. I don't blame Mal for everything but it was clear he didn't want to write for these characters and so he didn't.

• Tonymoby
            Tonymoby commented
            Editing a comment
            Let's just hope Paul's absence is unexplained so he can reappear when required for a new storyline in the future. Christine often disappears for months and just appears at the station or in a courtroom. He could conceivably be in his office and one day he'll just walk out of it and ask Rosales something, If it's over explained it might be hard to reintroduce him easily.

I will never forgive Mal for this Rosales family. Too many, too soon.

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
          Working...
          X