Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What will Mal Young be remembered for from his time at Y&R?

Collapse

Ad Below Title

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What will Mal Young be remembered for from his time at Y&R?

JT murder/coven cover up
    18.92%
    Casting changes, vets leaving, Rosales family arrival
    72.97%
    Something else
    8.11%

I voted for Casting changes and vets leaving! He got rid of Paul!

Comment

• Smithey
      Smithey commented
      Editing a comment
      Wish people would get this right—Young never had that power. It was Sony.

• CashierJudy
      CashierJudy commented
      Editing a comment
      sonyab1974, I agree, I will remember the MY era for the cast changes, including the losses and the additions.

I will always remember him for Useless T(essa). And I will never forgive him for departing and leaving her behind. The very least he could have done on the way out was to dump the character in Lake Michigan.

And her guitar, too.

Comment

Plain and simple...destroying it by getting rid of or drastically reducing vets..

Comment

He was the best thing since Bill Bell Sr. He returned the show to its soap opera roots. Many have been too preoccupied with older characters that were removed by Sony to see it in my opinion.

Comment

• RT29
          RT29 commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree I love what he has done to the show got me back into it after I gave up on y & r.

Casting changes of course. I will give him credit on Michael, Loren and nuFen.

Comment

Originally posted by JViv View Post
          I will always remember him for Useless T(essa). And I will never forgive him for departing and leaving her behind. The very least he could have done on the way out was to dump the character in Lake Michigan.

And her guitar, too.
          I believe the actress who plays Tessa was hired in 2017 during Sally Sussman's tenure. The others who were also hired during this time (2017) are gone such as Scott, the sex traffic guy, Jordan (the photographer), Juliet (B&S employee/consultant and got pregnant for Cane), Ravi (Ashley's young boyfriend/Jabot tech guy), etc. Tessa, I think, is the only one from that group who were hired under S.S.

Comment

• JViv
            JViv commented
            Editing a comment
            Um, not sure it matters who hired her - Mal kept jamming her into story-lines wellllllll beyond her expiration date. He had a PERFECT opportunity to lose her permanently in Canada with her gun-toting sister, but nooooooooooo - back she comes guitar included.

So same sentiment: I won’t forget that Mal didn’t drop Useless T(essa) into Lake Michigan on his way back across the pond.

I'm intrigued to know how anyone knows who writes what and when. Does Sony send out press releases about who it wants to keep or fire? Did MY tweet or blog about his storylines? Do they publish dates from when one team takes over from another? Do we know whether writers and Sony discuss these things and decide together who stays or goes based on upcoming storylines? I'm not sure you can authoritatively know unless you're working at CBS or are related to or friends with someone who does. Would be keen to find our what people's sources are.

Comment

The marginalizing of long time vets, exodus of popular actors and the pushing of new characters.

Comment

• Kynn
              Kynn commented
              Editing a comment
              In a nutshell. And that was the final straw for me. I stopped watching.....

• Soapfan54
              Soapfan54 commented
              Editing a comment
              Ditto. 1) Unforgivable dismantling of the Winters family, 2) Re-writing the Abbott family history

Other regimes have gotten rid of vets, too. The one that really sticks out is, Brad Carlton and Colleen Carlton, both were killed off. John Abbott, the patriarch, was killed off, too. Cassie, a child was killed off. Delia, another child. Adam was killed off, too. Diane, Kyle's mother was also killed off. Hope, Adam's mother was also killed off. Weren't Brad Carlton and Collen (Brad's daughter at the time and Tracy Abbott's daughter), both killed under Maria A. Bell's regime or tenure? Hope, Adam's mother, was brought back just to be killed off, too (I think this was also under Maria. Bell's regime). So, it is other regimes who have gotten rid of key characters in the past. Not just Mal Young.

Comment

• Tonymoby
              Tonymoby commented
              Editing a comment
              I think that's right - it's the volume and speed of retirements. The argument that the actor moved on doesn't wash - you can recast if you want to retain the integrity of the show.

• Smithey
              Smithey commented
              Editing a comment
              There have been considerably more exits way before Mal came to the show. Social media allows for people to be more vocal and louder.

Besides, they are blaming Mal Young, when he wasn’t the one who didn’t re-sign the contracts.

If Mal is responsible, then Josh Griffith is responsible for Don Diamont and others, too.

• lmfan
              lmfan commented
              Editing a comment
              In a time line in less than two years? When?

For many things

Bringing in not just new characters but a new family. I really enjoy the Roasles

Bringing on MM as Kyle

Breathing some life into Victoria. For the first time EVER I have enjoyed Victoria

The wonders that he has done for Sharon’s Character. I couldn’t be happier as a Sharon Fan.

The Abbotts have had some great front burn drama.

While I didn’t love everything, I certainly have liked his writing more the some of the other writers we have had. And I came back to watching because of his material

Comment

I think the worst thing he did was turning JT into an abusive psycho...and with no explanation for why he became an abusive psycho.

Comment

• geraldine123
                geraldine123 commented
                Editing a comment
                I think you hit on the worse thing for several instances. That is, the lack of explanation for the changes in characters. JT was a biggie. Another was Summer's instant obsession with Billy, but far worse, was her complete disregard for what it would do to her mother when they'd ALWAYS had a loving caring relationship.

• Tonymoby
                Tonymoby commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree the Summer 'reincarnation' was very odd mainly because her pre-sabbatical character was the complete opposite. At least give her a head injury to justify it!

Originally posted by tnysgrl View Post
              I think the worst thing he did was turning JT into an abusive psycho...and with no explanation for why he became an abusive psycho.
              Given the backstory of JT's electrocution in the car and the heart condition and medication, I hope this gets resolved in a way that gives the family closure once the JT death (or not) is sorted. For JT to be able to be redeemed or at least explained would be good for the fans too - dead or alive.

Comment

"Smithey commented Wish people would get this right—Young never had that power. It was Sony."

Really? So Sony can hire and fire people? I never heard of that.. How strange.

Comment

• Smithey
                  Smithey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sony owns Y&R. They negotiate contracts, not the executive producer and certainly not the head writer.

The never-ending JT s/l.

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                Working...
                X