Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is wrong with just having a working/middle class family?

Collapse

Ad Below Title

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is wrong with just having a working/middle class family?

Why o Why do everyone got be rich. Why cant they have a middle class family on the show who is fine being middle class. Everyone wants to be making top dollars and be rich. The rosales family were brought in to represent the working class family but here we got instant to chef Lola being all she can be and im sure Mia will be getting some kind of big gig at Jabot somewhere being cosmetic guru. Rey and Arturo have regular jobs but they r involved with rich women, rey is about to get involved with Sharon who is rich by association.

Because most middle class jobs don't involve high drama, espionage and are as interesting. Most of us lead that life everyday. And most of us wished we could be earning top dollar.

.e.g.
    Fen as a waiter wouldn't be entertaining, but as a rock star yes.
    Mia as a door to door make up artist would be boring, but it's interesting to see her try to wiggle her way up the ladder.
    Lola in her modest food truck wouldn't lead to anything exciting in the way of S/Ls.

Comment

• vdw842003
      vdw842003 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have to disagree with this to a certain degree. I get what ur saying, richness equals the fast life and excitment but I have watched plenty of shows throughout my life that were dramafilled and good writing that wasnt centered around the rich and famous, so it can be done. The show needs just a regular family with regular dreams.

I didn't mind the Rosales family to begin with, but then in November and December there was a noticeable change in these characters (among others, but we are talking about the working class family on the show). Now, the Rosales family seems to be pulling in the direction of the rich and famous in Genoa City, ruining their uniqueness. There CAN be drama and interesting story with them, but I have a feeling that Josh Griffith would rather have outlandish plots rather than realistic drama, just based on his previous work with the show.

While I was looking forward to this family in the beginning, this sudden change has left me not wanting to see them any more.

Comment

Arturo has been after rich women since the day he started on the show. There really weren't a lot of options for either Kyle or Lola romantically except with each other. Rey was cast with the intention of being paired with Sharon. No change there. If you have a middle class family and most of the characters in town are wealthy, what story do they have if they don't interact with the wealthy residents?

Comment

• montauk.way
        montauk.way commented
        Editing a comment
        It falls apart because everyone's closely connected to the (mega)wealthy and, in short time, (p)alimony would hack away at the gap. Sharon would've happily repaired Lola's truck as a no-strings loan and there's no conflict of interest because she's not related to Kyle. It's weird for Likey to make Fen struggle instead of buying him studio time and for him to take up a serving job someone else needs.

Eventually I guess it’s easier that way. But I can remember GL when the families and characters with various economic backgrounds. But that’s due to better writing for various families and characters interacting

I am with it if the Rosales doesn’t stay more working class but I think it’s great when different backgrounds are shown.

Comment

• Emerald Greens
        Emerald Greens commented
        Editing a comment
        I remember the Cooper’s well they were great but there was also Nola Reardon wanting what she didn’t have. Mia may be wanting a way into the high life but she pretty much started off that way. Lola doesn’t come across that way.
        Aurturo was with Nikki but didn’t get anything from it. I can see Mia either being next in line with Nick or back with Aurturo.

• Smithey
        Smithey commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, and Nola and the Reardons!

Sadly, both families on GL (Coopers and Reardons) more or less became upper middle class to upper class. Didn't take long, did it?

The writing on Y&R has changed. The Rosales family was more middle class in the beginning. Now someone writing them is trying to push them into the upper class.

• Emerald Greens
        Emerald Greens commented
        Editing a comment
        Nola really annoyed me but I did like her more after she started working for Quinton .

Well both Tony and later Buzz had the bar so it changed a little.
        Bea had the boarding house early on and of course Maureen married Ed. I don’t expect most characters to stay working class on a soap not that I would object to it just seldom happens that way.

One Life to Live built the show around the working class Woleks and the upper crust Lords. It made for great drama...great stories and will always be my favorite soap.
      It can work very well if it is properly written.
      Poor and middle class people are not boring!

Comment

• Silentfan
        Silentfan commented
        Editing a comment
        And Days has the Brady family, who have never been wealthy. They work as police officers or at their family Pub.

• bailey1995
        bailey1995 commented
        Editing a comment
        Ryan's Hope also centered around a middle class family who owned a pub.

Also one of the cool things on OLTL was that the cop, Vinny Wolek, wore a UNIFORM! And Wanda who he eventually married wore a waitress uniform and hat.
      It bugs me that Rey doesn't wear a police uniform. What position does he hold at GCPD???

Comment

• Silentfan
        Silentfan commented
        Editing a comment
        He is a detective, and they never wear police uniforms.

the first several years there were working class people that had great s/l's: The Foster's...Jill, Snapper, Greg, Liz. Sally McGuire, Pierre Roulland, Jack & Joanne Curtis, Gina Roma, Alice and Millie Johnson, Sharon and her mom, just to name a few. Their s/l's worked so why can't they again?

Comment

• prim
        prim commented
        Editing a comment
        Paul's family was also middle class.

What makes this sad is Mal Young said they were brought in as a relatable working class family. Yeah, maybe for about two to three months. In that amount of time, Lola went from Food Truck operator to managing a restaurant. Heck, she even said she made enough money (on her advance alone) to buy her own expensive purse.

Comment

• Smithey
        Smithey commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m telling you, this isn’t Mal’s material. He built up the family slowly and with character. The last month this family has been undone and reeks of typical soap plots.

• vdw842003
        vdw842003 commented
        Editing a comment
        Josh Griffen has actually been here since September, doing writing and stuff. I bet were starting to see some of his stuff or atleast a combination of his stuff.

• WorldTurner
        WorldTurner commented
        Editing a comment
        Josh has been in production, not writing.

I think it is good to have working class people on soaps and not have everyone massively wealthy.

The one time the show tried to do a story about a couple struggling financially it was a big fail. Remember when Cain and Lily were worried about paying their bills after he was let go from Sassy? Then he stole money from the kid's college fund to pay off Juliet. It was far from a credible story as Lily was still working. Cain had a well paying job and presumably shouldn't have been left destitute in a few weeks.

Comment

Aren’t the Rosales just middle-class people? I have the distinct feeling that it doesn’t matter what class of people are on Y&R. The writers will still make it a debacle with awful, plot driven story lines.

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
        Working...
        X