Ad Below Title

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our "Veteran" Paul

I have read a lot of posts lately which IMO really don't do our "gone character with no closure for long-time viewers" Police Chief Paul a lot of Justice! We who started watching from DAY ONE remember him as the gorgeous, intelligent, loving son, family guy next-door type who interacted well with the ongoing s/l's and plots. Why the WRITERS turned him into a "Puppet" for every single Nosey Christine "fiasco" is beyond me? He was kind of "Elegant" in a way, because he was so "down to earth"....a character we could all relate to. Not the "Phoney" Elegance these Nouveau-rich at GC strive to achieve. You do not have to be rich to be Elegant! I know I will probably get grief from this post but I don't care...I loved the Paul character. I am 74 years old and would have loved to have a son like him!! Just saying and wishful thinking that the smart Head Writer and his associates would bring back Paul the way he used to be that made watching Y/R more solid and family like without "Flaky" characters that come and go. LOL LOL Elba

The writers before Mal Young made Paul into an almost unlikable character, in my opinion. I couldn't stand him going after Victor, even though Victor has done some nasty things. Combining the writing for Paul with Christine's nastiness, something neither character ever showed before, was uncomfortable for this viewer.

I would love for Paul (Doug Davidson) to return full time to Y&R. I only hope that they give the character something notable to do besides be a baffling police chief idiot chasing down characters for no reason. Paul was always best when he was helping others. Make him a PI again. Let him work for Jabot or Newman as head of security. Give him a romantic interest that makes sense. Bring his daughter back as DA. Just remember that he is the good guy of the show and not the obsessed idiot that he's been the past few years.

Comment

• seattleannie
      seattleannie commented
      Editing a comment
      I love every one of your suggestions here! I hated the dumbing down of Paul's character - and I have only been watching since 2013.

ITA! Thanks! LOL Elba

Comment

I want Paul Williams back. I don't care how the show dos it. DD deserves better. There is no rock solid hero on the show right now. He will b back. The fans want him back in his own stories. Paul has to have his son or Daughter back. I would bring back Heather as a Privat y. So she can act as a go-between to Paul and the other characters. I think that would fix things. Christin can still be his wife and Christin and Heather can have conflict with criminal cases. Paul can side with Christin and sometimes with Heather. Paul should be the major Detective on the show. Not Phyllis/Victor/Nick.

I can't see how Paul having his own stories and helping out the other characters would stunt YR in any way. Pay DD his coin and get him back on YR. I hat watching YR knowing that he is not there. Its a struggle for me. I am always tempted to stop watching just because Paul is not around. It's not even that he has been on for 40 yrs. Its just that the show needs that one rock solid character. If we can't have Ash. Why can't we have Paul now?

Lots of stories for Paul Williams to deal with. I hope with Josh back as the main writer that Paul/Nil/Th Baldwins have stories. YR is not just about The Abbot/Newman clan.

Comment

No Y&R without Doug Davidson for me. I want Paul to come back. IMO, a good story would be Paul finding out that a girl, madly in love with Ricky (but that love wasn't mutual) gave birth to Ricky's son. and if that girl was the one who hid the knife, took Ricky's computer, was hidden at the gravesite the day of Ricky's funeral, it would be even better.

Comment

I wonder what the reason for his release really is. What is that Doug Davidson costs too much and his character had long outlived its necessary presence in GC, so he was the most expendable?

Comment

• Smithey
            Smithey commented
            Editing a comment
            In 2008, the decision to either get rid of Brad Carlton or Paul Williams was being discussed. Sony and CBS was trying to reach a younger demographic and one of the two characters were going to meet their end. It came down to the wire and Paul Williams was given another ten years.

Fast forward to last year and Doug Davidson was finally given his papers. It might seem like Sony is being mean, but they have a business to run. I’m not defending anyone, but just suggesting that Paul Williams could have ended ten years ago. We were given ten more years. Yes, the character was expendable because the character didn’t have family on the show and his age was older. It isn’t great, but at a time when soaps are dying, sacrifices must be made.

I understand what you are saying and it is quite valid to me. But, ousting the Paul character (DD) because of a presumed high salary is just not believable...everyone knows that EVERY year or so EB strives to "UP" his contract and is the one with the highest salary after "negotiations" and possible rumor of his actually leaving the soap. This followed by MST's high salary, etc. DD, I don't think would have demanded a much higher salary. Besides, so many new characters being "pushed" on viewers with their ridiculous antics and non-sensical s/l's is just silly. Not one of the "newies" come even close to DD's Paul character at the beginning of the soap. It is just a shame what past writers did to his wholesome character! I hope the new writing staff is able to finally END some of the ever-going S/L's * (especially the JT fiasco). I don't know what they can do with Victor/Nicky, Sharon/Nick, Vicky/Billy that hasn't been done over and over for so many years? I wish them the best as I really do not want my favorite program to fold. JMO LOL Elba

Comment

• Smithey
            Smithey commented
            Editing a comment
            From reports, NO ONE is getting more money. It isn't just at Y&R either. If you want to keep say, Melody Thomas Scott, you might have to give up a Doug Davidson. I enjoy the new characters, but if I were given a choice, I would rather have Paul back. That said, they also have to think of the show's future, and sadly, that isn't with older characters. I'm older and that pains me to say, but in this ol' world in which we live (a saying my dad used to say), old people aren't wanted.

• Kynn
            Kynn commented
            Editing a comment
            All of the vets took massive salary cuts some years ago - some deeper than others - and I know DD was one of them. Plus he had his guarantees reduced - so I doubt the reason for his exit was because he was too expensive to keep around. IMO it was much more related to them not wanting to use his character in favor of bringing on some one hipper and younger (Rey) and tightening the writing to focus on a smaller group of (younger) characters which of course would included Rey and would hit the “right” demographic. Sad but true.

Please, please please. Bring Doug Davidson back. Rey needs help! Christine is plain disgusting.
          There is so much history with him. He was so handsome. I liked when he and Lauren were married and she entered his picture in a nude magazine contest. Lol
          Last edited by aileen123; January 8th, 2019, 07:45 AM.

Comment

I doubt any one would be happy if Paul were back in GC and he was the one, rather than Rey, acting so stupid about the investigation of JT's death. Maybe he's better off not having been given this pathetic s/l.

Comment

• Smithey
              Smithey commented
              Editing a comment
              That is exactly what I'm thinking! Who wants a stupidly written Paul who acts like the ass that is Rey and who still has a vendetta against Victor?

I don't. I may be alone in this, but I don't want to see Paul written like that any more. I detested Paul before he was written off because of the jerk they wrote him as. For the past several years, Paul hasn't been written well. It would serve that Josh Griffith won't write him any better, based on how he treated him both times before.

I want him to return to but he will be back for a week or two and people will complain that he and Christine are getting on their last nerve. If Paul would act
            like a real cop and go after criminals that would be great. He mostly did what Christine told him to do. Also, wish Dylan would return.

Comment

DD gone makes me want to watch YR less. The dumbing down of Paul is not what I sss. It's that the writers won't give him any great scenes. Paul should be tormented that he sent his protag down a hellish road. Paul almost got Victoria to crack. Ry will never do that. Paul also did figure out that JT was going bad. So I don't see how he is really not on the ball.

Bring Paul's daughter Heather back. Make her a PI who's client ar Newman/Abbotts and then have her and Paul crack crime cases with Rey.

Comment

I liked Paul and think he should be reoccurring, but he really adds nothing to the show other than nostalgia. Once in awhile write him into a story. Rey is now the new keystone cop. He can be a lead male where Paul’s days in that role are in the past. They really should have kept Dylan around in that role as he could have consulted with his father and it would have made Paul more viable. I know the actor SB isn’t available but he could have been recasted.

Comment

Sadly the writers passed up several perfect opportunities to use Paul effectively,

As a veteran character he was the most logical person to step up into a mentoring role for other characters on the show. We saw it with JT some years back and again with Kevin and with Dylan. Then there was that missed opportunity with Jamie. There could have been an interesting dynamic between the Chief and Rey.
                  At one point it looked as if Paul would be the community figure who brought everyone together once Katharine had passed. He was the spokesperson at the very first visit Christmas gathering in Chancellor Park. His role as COP should have continued to afford him that kind of respected community status in GC. Paul in the past was always the person you could count on for wise perspective and a pretty solid moral compass. Even without his own family in GC he could have filled a patriarchial role given his history and relationship with so many long time GC residents.

I maintain there is still a role for Paul in GC if the writers take time to remember who Paul Williams really is - and it’s not the characterc assassination we’ve witnessed over the past while of an ineffective rarely seen one dimensional “service character”. I want the smart likeable authentic charismatic Paul back.
                  The ball is in your court JG.

Comment

• Smithey
                    Smithey commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well said! I would love if the Paul you mention returned and not the arrogant arse that he was the past several years.

I don't want any closure,bring the guy back simple as that
                  I hate how Y&R treat their vets

Comment

Originally posted by Smithey View Post
                    The writers before Mal Young made Paul into an almost unlikable character, in my opinion. I couldn't stand him going after Victor, even though Victor has done some nasty things. Combining the writing for Paul with Christine's nastiness, something neither character ever showed before, was uncomfortable for this viewer.

I would love for Paul (Doug Davidson) to return full time to Y&R. I only hope that they give the character something notable to do besides be a baffling police chief idiot chasing down characters for no reason. Paul was always best when he was helping others. Make him a PI again. Let him work for Jabot or Newman as head of security. Give him a romantic interest that makes sense. Bring his daughter back as DA. Just remember that he is the good guy of the show and not the obsessed idiot that he's been the past few years.
                    I was away for several years, and when I resumed watching, hardly recognized Paul as the honest, compassionate, upright officer I had grown to love! They need to keep some of the older actors for continuity of the storylines. The fact that I see DD still in the credits (the few times I now watch) gives me hope for his return. I watched when the show first aired, and got a kick seeing the Brooks sisters spot! I would watch more regularly if the writing returned to the meaty stories of old.

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X