Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let me see if I can try some examples from what I think the mods are saying we can and can't not post.
    I'm not saying I'm right, I'm just trying to provide some examples of what I think is acceptable. If I'm wrong please tell me
    I don't mean to copy anyone's post, I just trying to use examples. One more time, I'm not trying to say anyone is right or wrong, I'm just trying to help.

We can say in the LT, I don't like Abbys outfit.
    If Abby and Aurtoo are fighting, we CAN'T post, they should break up, Abby should be with someone else.
    We can start another thread, saying Abby should be with someone else.

If Nick and Phyills are getting it on, any opinions about weather Nick and Phyliis should be together or if Nick should be with Sharon should be in another thread. There are threads like that on this board and opinions about who Nick/Phyllis/Sharon should be with should be in their own threads.

We can say in the LT, Victor is back today. We can't say I hate Victor. I wish Victor would leave the show. I don't miss Victor on Y&R. These opinions should have their own thread (and some do).

Again I just tried to give some examples of what I think the mods are looking at. I not saying I'm right. I'm just trying to help. I did not mean to upset anyone I just tried to provide some examples. If I'm wrong please tell me know and I apologize.

Comment

• TexasTango
      TexasTango commented
      Editing a comment
      Inquiry - isn't saying 'I like or dislike Abby's outfit" an opinion? This is where the confusion occurs if we can like/dislike clothes, hairdos, sets, but not couples or individuals or behavior it's difficult. Below I posted the dictionary definitions of opinion/comment and in many ways they are very similar.

• Moore ideas
      Moore ideas commented
      Editing a comment
      I think that a whole lot of people are really trying way too hard to "overthink" this.

Making a passing comment about liking or disliking a hairdo or an outfit is a superficial observation. We don't have too many hairdo-oriented opposing fanbases here that are likely to burst into flaming commentary. Opinions about characters and couples are different.

• Rubythroat1
      Rubythroat1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Right now--I don't think I am smart enough to overthink anything.
      For one thing, I have dyslexia for symbols and numbers.
      And I only type with my forefingers.

SEU92, you are dead-on correct with your examples!!
    Moore ideas
    SOC Moderator
    Please email me with questions or comments.

Dumbledore to Harry:
    "It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

Comment

So I thought it might be helpful to me and others to look up the definition of opinion and the definition of comment - below is from Miriam Webster on line. I think the reason many of us are confused is because in the definitions of comment is says 'an observation or remark expressing an opinion or attitude, critical comments, constructive comments'. It does seem these comment and opinion are related and overlap and perhaps that is why so many of us are struggling.

Definition of opinion
      1a : a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter We asked them for their opinions about the new stadium.
      b : approval, esteem I have no great opinion of his work.
      2a : belief stronger than impression and less strong than positive knowledge a person of rigid opinions
      b : a generally held view news programs that shape public opinion

Definition of comment
      (Entry 1 of 2)
      1 : commentary
      2 : a note explaining, illustrating, or criticizing the meaning of a writing Comments on the passage were printed in the margin.
      3a : an observation or remark expressing an opinion or attitude critical comments constructive comments
      b : a judgment expressed indirectly sees the film as a comment on modern values
      comment
      verb
      commented; commenting; comments
      Definition of comment (Entry 2 of 2)
      transitive verb
      : to make a comment on
      intransitive verb
      : to explain or interpret something by comment commenting on recent developments commented on the poem's symbolism
      Synonyms for comment
      Synonyms: Noun
      note, reflection, remark
      Synonyms: Verb
      allow, editorialize, note, observe, opine, reflect, remark, weigh in

Comment

I must add this comment. Years ago it was decided by D.Kroll to have a selected thread strictly for posts about wardrobe, sets, props, hair, makeup and the
        Mod followed through with this. When the weekly fan who retired stopped doing it, I took up the task of starting the thread every Monday. It concentrates
        all of these posts in one thread. I have noticed that there are several threads about props, sets and so on, that are not deleted or merged with the Costume etc
        thread. (you want the point I know! )

Why is this allowed, and not our posts on the LT? I'm beginning to think of them as "illegitimate posts" ! No rudeness intended.

Comment

• Moore ideas
          Moore ideas commented
          Editing a comment
          Each separate soap board has its own "personality" and interests, so to speak. On some forums, there's not all that much discussion about wardrobe, sets, etc. On this forum, it is apparently of enough interest to warrant regular dedicated threads for that. And that's great! Making a passing commentary on the LT about wardrobe or hairdos is fine, but the same rules would apply if those comments blossomed into a full-blown discussion about the wardrobe, sets, makeup in the LT. Those extraneous comments would be removed, because they more appropriately belong in the designated threads for that. Likewise -- and I really hesitate to say this, for fear of confusing everyone all over again -- it would be okay to make a passing superficial comment about a character or couple if those kinds of comments didn't turn into fan-based debates and/or full-blown opinions that draw on past histories and fan the flames. It's perfectly fine to say, "OH GOODY -- xxx is on today!!" But unfortunately, we then get "Oh yuck! I hate that slut and wish I never had to see her on my screen again."

• Moore ideas
          Moore ideas commented
          Editing a comment
          Correct, TexasTango!

• Rubythroat1
          Rubythroat1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes TT. I fully respect your dedication to the LT. We all do. You have done your best
          to abide by the rules. The learning curve continues.

I have loved the LT over the years. Loved the humor and the bits of sarcasm. Even if I disagree.
        Understand that if some folks cross a line there could be a delete or pause.
        Enjoy folks and their point of view.
        Is LT is now basically a recap for those unable to watch? Feels brand new as a person on LT for several years.
        The shutdown today was out of the blue. Does not make me feel great about coming back.

Comment

• Rubythroat1
          Rubythroat1 commented
          Editing a comment
          My approach is to have a "Leap of Faith". Try again next day--
          and hope I don't piss anyone off!

No, the LT "shutdown" was not "out of the blue". This sticky thread was posted on October 25th, with plenty of discussion and clarification inside since then. The LT was closed before, with an additional warning that it could happen again if our policies regarding the LT continued to be ignored. And as stated above, 25 posts were removed today and "points of view" belong in appropriate discussion threads. And yes -- the LT was created, as a courtesy, for those who cannot watch in real time.

There are already discussion threads for discussions, so those don't belong in the LT.

There is already a daily recap, so a LT is not necessary for that either.

Humor and sarcasm is still allowed, as mentioned in numerous posts above.

The LT is a courtesy, granted as a favor by SOC's owner when posters continued to request that they be allowed, but if it's going to become this much of an ordeal, with continuing challenges as to why no one likes the policies that act as parameters for what can be included, then we can always just do away with the LT altogether and let posters go back to waiting for the daily recap to be posted later.

Happy to do that; it would be a whole lot less trouble for the mods...
        Moore ideas
        SOC Moderator
        Please email me with questions or comments.

Dumbledore to Harry:
        "It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

Comment

• Moore ideas
          Moore ideas commented
          Editing a comment
          This doesn't have anything to do with TexasTango, who very kindly provides the LT. This has to do with those posters who continue to violate the LT policies and who posted the majority of the 25 posts that were removed today. TexasTango expressed a very clear understanding, a few posts up, of what is and isn't permitted in the LT. It's those opinions that are likely to spark a sideline debate that more properly belong in a separate discussion thread.

• TexasTango
          TexasTango commented
          Editing a comment
          Unfortunately what I said and Moore ideas said was correct is gone - somehow accidentally deleted I guess. I went back to copy it out since I thought I could put it at the beginning of the LT.
          If I remember correctly it is that the description is important so those not watching live can follow along and then one can comment but not put something controversial. One of the problems yesterday, at least for me, was the conversations between Abby/Lola and Mariah/Kyle illustrated two opposing views and at least my comments belonged in a discussion thread. It's a learning process but we can do it.

• Moore ideas
          Moore ideas commented
          Editing a comment
          TexasTango, it's still there -- it's just hidden. There's a little "up" arrow on the top right of where the comments appear in that post. If you click on it, your comment will reappear, but what you said was:

"Right or wrong Ruby I am coming to the conclusion that all comments are really opinions but what gets deleted are those that could cause an LT controversy to break out and that's what trying to be avoided."

And that is correct!

I really appreciate everyone on the LT over the years. It’s been great fun. I’ve tried to be nice. This is too complicated for me.

Comment

• carolinabell
          carolinabell commented
          Editing a comment
          Been here since 2005 and do not like the changes. We all refresh with each post, so ad exposures are unchanged. Still trying to figure it out. Why can’t we just call it a “Live thread Discussion” forum and get back to normal? My posts will be limited, as I am a consumer of this site, not a school child waiting to be disciplined. The LT for GH is usually limited to 6-8 total posts. Y&R could go to six pages. I am in marketing, so I would think the more consumer input and interest would mean more revenue for the site owner. Too complicated for me too. Especially since I have noticed no abuse of this daily thread in a decade, and now we are supposed to all figure out the nuances of opinion, comment, discussion etc. the mods have tried to give us specifics, but I think many of us are holding back and missing the freedom of just going back and forth with our thoughts each day as many of us have done for over a decade.
          Last edited by carolinabell; November 29th, 2018, 08:13 PM.

• Rubythroat1
          Rubythroat1 commented
          Editing a comment
          I have to tell you carolinabell, I was very impressed with this post.

Just wanted to add, I call myself a consumer because I have actually gone to links on this site such as Macy’s and Blue Cross to purchase products.

Comment

Thanks Rubythroat1. I just cannot add any more. I am trying to be real and constructive to the success of this site, nothing else. This has by far been the best soap forum in my experience.

Comment

I honestly can't see the problem with the policies. They are very clear. Just describe what you are seeing on your screen, (for those who aren't seeing it.) not go into a personal rant about the character.

Example.

"Phylliss walks into work in a low cut red outfit, I don't like her dress." That's fine

"Phylliss walks into work in a low cut red outfit, don't like her dress why does Phylliss always have to dress like a tramp looking for a desk to have sex on." Not OK

It's not 'rocket science' to see the difference.

Comment

• Moore ideas
              Moore ideas commented
              Editing a comment
              That's exactly right, PaintedPony. Good example, and not even remotely difficult or confusing to understand -- unless that's the predetermined mindset.

Bottom line: This has been explained now, and in great detail, ad nauseum. Posters are free to abide by the site's policies -- or not. If not, then there will be ongoing problems with the Live Thread, which will most likely result in its continued closing or complete removal, or even its ultimate discontinuation. And posters who regularly continue to choose the "or not" option should expect to have their posting privileges restricted, as dictated by SOC's guidelines which all posters agreed to abide by when they joined the site.

I am now closing this advisory thread to further discussion, but I will leave it up a little longer for continued reference. Please contact a moderator privately
              if you have any questions or need additional clarification.

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
          Working...
          X