This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live Thread

So far everyday this week I have had to go into the live thread to edit out content that never should have been there to begin with. Each day, I have deleted no less then 40 posts.

The point of the live thread is to discuss the show while it is happening. Which means there should be nothing posted after it is over. This board and others really have it easy, on the GH board the live thread has no discussion at all.

I've deleted posts trashing the writers, I've deleted vulgar posts, I've deleted posts talking about other shows. Please try to keep the discussion to what is actually happening on the show. If there is an interruption discussion is allowed within reason.

This thread is going to start to be deleted, not closed but outright deleted. The rules are no different then the rules for regular threads and everyone should be able to follow them.
    Shelly, Moderator
    soapcentral.com

Email Me

““Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.” - Mr. Rogers.”

Does this mean today? No more live thread?

The Live Thread is unique. It is mostly based on humor and satire. I guess we all have to

measure out how dark the humor gets.

* I re-read the guideline and this means that the whole thread will be deleted if there are too many violations.
    Last edited by Rubythroat1; October 26th, 2018, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Oh wow..I must admit that I am guilty of posting comments after the episode has aired. Only because I usually record the episode each day and not watch it until later when I get home. And because on many occasions the thread hasn't been closed, I took the liberty of posting comments. But thanks for the reminder.

Comment

I'm sure people posted after the show ended because the thread was never closed!

Comment

• flowergarden
          flowergarden commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, I've posted after the show, not aware that I shouldn't be doing that. (I thought that, if the thread was not closed, it was permitted.) Apologies for that.

The live thread may be unique but it still has to follow thr general rules of the board which means inflammatory posts still aren't allowed. Racist posts still aren't allowed. And yes, after the show ends thre discussion should move to the boards.

I'm heading in to clean the thread now but if it's bad I'm just going to delete it. If we can't follow the rules the live thread might have to end or start being like the gh one with no chatter.
        Shelly, Moderator
        soapcentral.com

Email Me

““Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.” - Mr. Rogers.”

Comment

Failure to abide by the policies of what the LT can contain, and not contain (including mod bashing), will result in the removal and/or possible discontinuation of the Live Thread.
          Moore ideas
          SOC Moderator
          Please email me with questions or comments.

Dumbledore to Harry:
          "It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

Comment

Guess the live thread for today was deleted right after the show. My phone froze up and I could not do anything. I tried to go back in but it was gone so I couldn't even finish reading it. What did we do wrong today.

Comment

• Rubythroat1
              Rubythroat1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Seems a few things are off. I can't read certain messages.

The Live Thread is permitted by special permission from SOC's owner -- a courtesy that was requested many years ago by posters who couldn't watch the show in real time. The LT is meant to be informational about the show, and while anyone can participate, the LT is not intended to be a thread that's filled with off-topic chatter, nor a place to post opinions about characters, couples, storylines, etc.

Shelly posted this advisory, to remind people about the intention and parameters of the LT, which were promptly ignored. All the way down to moderator bashing and 12 pages of OT chatter. And so it was removed.

But we can try it again tomorrow...
            Moore ideas
            SOC Moderator

Dumbledore to Harry:

Comment

• Rubythroat1
              Rubythroat1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks. I try to do a play by play in my comments, but I would like to know if the humor was the unacceptable part.
              The LT has always had a satiric component.

• Moore ideas
              Moore ideas commented
              Editing a comment
              Humor is always welcome!! What isn't permitted in the LT is OT conversation and actual opinions that belong in separate opinion threads. Anyone can jump in with additions to what's happening on the show, clarifications, expressions of gratitude, general pleasantries, etc., but the LT is supposed to be primarily informational. We don't mind occasional observations about what's happening on the show, like "love the Halloween costumes" (or whatever), but we don't want the LT to morph into comments like, "hate xxx character, the bitch, and hope she dies -- get her off my screen", which will inevitably lead to bickering. And to the deletion of the LT.

• Rubythroat1
              Rubythroat1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the clarification. I always try to put my "costume and sets" comments on the Costume thread I start.
              I guess all of us LT posters have to re-examine our format. When the news and politics interrupt the show, tempers flare.

Well like I said I can't find the entire thread, so I thought it was deleted, but don't know why?

I can see my messages. When I logged in it says I have 4 messages. I try to click on it and I see someone responded to my comment for a split second but it's gone before I can do anything. I have to do that two or three times so I can see what thread somebody commented on. Then I have to go to that thread to see the message. I have emails two mods about it and their suggestions have not helped.

I guess if I do something wrong I won't know about it because I can't see the message. I guess I'll know if I get off.

Comment

• Holly99
              Holly99 commented
              Editing a comment
              The Live thread was deleted by the Mods .. (for the reasons given by Moore ideas) .. so .. go to your Message box & click on Dismiss all Messages and that should clear your Message problem.

• Moore ideas
              Moore ideas commented
              Editing a comment
              Unfortunately, one of our current glitches is that notifications of comments made in response to your own posts or comments are not automatically deleted from your profile page if/when the comments/posts themselves are removed. If they've been removed and you reply to your notification, you'll be taken pretty much nowhere!

Thanks Holly! I'll try that.

Comment

Thanks Moore, I got that response with one of my emails and it makes sense, if a thread/post has been deleted you can't see the message. But I just got your message (thank you) in this thread and had the same problem. I could see that I had a notification in this thread for half a second. But it was gone before I could go anything with it. I have three messages in another thread that is not deleted and have the same problem. It could be a problem with my phone or just part of the glitch. If I act real fast, I might be able to click on the message before it disappears and it does go to the thread, but if I can just see the thread for a second (and it hasn't been deleted) I can just go to the thread and see the message.

Thanks for your message and help and I'm sorry if I have posted anything inappropriate.

Comment

• Holly99
                Holly99 commented
                Editing a comment
                My "solution" to the new board glitches which won't go away .. is as follows:
                Log-off .. then shut down your PC .. then .. unplug it for at least 10 seconds .. then .. plug it in & open up again.

• Moore ideas
                Moore ideas commented
                Editing a comment
                You're welcome, SEU92. You haven't posted anything inappropriate and you're always welcome to ask for help from the moderators. A number of people are having the same glitches you are and I know it has been frustrating.

To help clarify so I know what to no longer do - we can say 'we like Phyllis's red hair" but we shouldn't say we don't want her to be the CEO when that is being discussed at that moment on the show? And terms that have been used in the LT since I joined in 2007 like TIIC and 'the writing' as in I wish the writing for this character was better are no longer to be part of the LT. I'm genuinely confused are we only to say who's on screen and what they are doing/saying but not discuss it at all?
              On the B&B thread for example there is detail given about what it being shown and commentary/discussion as well. It's a mix in that LT. Want to get it right for the Y&R LT.
              Last edited by TexasTango; October 30th, 2018, 04:21 PM.

Comment

I'm confused too. I know you need to moderate the off topic & derogatory speech but everything else mentioned on the LT has been about what's going on during the show...actions, dialog by the characters & their interactions with others. How has that changed in the last week or so to cause the entire LT deleted? Thanks for any explanation.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTango View Post
                  To help clarify so I know what to no longer do - we can say 'we like Phyllis's red hair" but we shouldn't say we don't want her to be the CEO when that is being discussed at that moment on the show? And terms that have been used in the LT since I joined in 2007 like TIIC and 'the writing' as in I wish the writing for this character was better are no longer to be part of the LT. I'm genuinely confused are we only to say who's on screen and what they are doing/saying but not discuss it at all?
                  On the B&B thread for example there is detail given about what it being show and commentary/discussion as well. It's a mix in that LT. Want to get it right for the Y&R LT.
                  Yes, you can absolutely say that you like Phyllis's red hair. That's a passing observation that (hopefully) won't turn into an OT discussion in the LT. Saying that you don't want her to be CEO belongs in a separate opinion thread, though. Otherwise, someone else will reply to your CEO comment with their own opposing opinion, so now you have a separate discussion going on inside the LT about whether or not Phyllis should be CEO. That separate discussion also opens the door for posters to start bickering and the LT turns into pages of violations over whether or not Phyllis should be CEO. That's not what the LT is for. We encourage posters to interact and to contribute to a LT, but opinions about what's happening on the show belong in discussion threads.

Originally posted by gloria1098 View Post
                  I'm confused too. I know you need to moderate the off topic & derogatory speech but everything else mentioned on the LT has been about what's going on during the show...actions, dialog by the characters & their interactions with others. How has that changed in the last week or so to cause the entire LT deleted? Thanks for any explanation.
                  Different forums tend to have different "personalities", if that makes sense. Some forums can be more volatile than others and that tends to spill over into the LT too, making the LT another problem for the mods instead of a pleasant, informative thread for those who can't watch the show in real time. The things that have most recently changed, though, is that (1) Pop is no longer here to keep her experienced mod eyes on this forum, (2) the mods in general are currently shorthanded and, (3) the additional and ongoing board glitches are adding another layer of "issues" for the mods. This means that we just don't have the time to comb carefully through every thread, editing a word here and there in individual posts, instead of deleting, etc. And so, if a LT starts to fill with violations because of bickering over opposing opinions, we're not going to have the time to sit on top of it, trying to keep it cleaned up. In the meantime, separate relevant discussions are being opened as others, who are watching the show, want to discuss what they've seen, so we have parallel conversations going on -- both inside and outside the LT.

Does this help clarify why we're trying to make sure that actual opinion discussions are separated out from the LT?
                  Moore ideas
                  SOC Moderator

Dumbledore to Harry:

Comment

• TexasTango
                    TexasTango commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes , and I'm not try to do anything but comment here, if we can never comment about what is happening in a scene during the LT it will be a big change from the way it's been on the four Live Threads I've posted in over the years. In looking at GH LT, it appears to be simply a show summary and very different from the others.

As I stated in my original post, not everything in the live thread had anything to do with what was actually shown. Honestly most of the time you can't tell at all what happened on the show by reading the live thread. Going on and on about how much you hate the writer has no business being in the live thread. Single word posts followed by ............... have no business. Honestly, the live thread should not even reach 10 pages let alone 14 or 15.

TT, I don't expect the YR live thread to be like the GH live thread which by the way almost never hits 2 pages. But if the behavior continues we might have to go to that.
                  Shelly, Moderator
                  soapcentral.com

Email Me

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X