Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Anyone Prefer The City to Loving?

I wanted to like The City more than I actually did. The stories were slow, and I never felt at any point that it was "can't miss" TV. Loving, however, was my favorite of the soaps.
    I did like The City and I'm pretty sure it's the only soap opera I ever was able to watch from it's inception to its finale, but I definitely preferred Loving, I also enjoyed the characters of Ava and Gwen who didn't make it to the new show.

Anyone prefer The City to Loving?
    JC
    SOC Moderator
    soapcentral.com
    Questions? Email me: JCmojoe81

Not me. I mostly stopped watching Loving after Noelle Beck left. Trucker and Dinah Lee did not hold my attention. Thereafter, I only watched
    occasionally. I tried to watch some to see who the killer was, but by then I was too gone from the show to care.

Comment

Noelle Beck was one of my favorite soap actresses of that era, and missed her a ton when she was gone.
      JC
      SOC Moderator
      soapcentral.com

Comment

Lost interest when The City was launched. The characters that I wanted to see were leaving. I occasionally still watched but didn't care as much about it by that point.

Comment

There was a lot I loved about The City but it really didn’t have time to gel. There were so many new characters it was hard to get a handle on them. I agree with the other posters that Noelle Beck was sorely missed and I think she could have held the group together. Morgan Fairchild was campy fun but Jane Elliot really made the show awesome.

Comment

• AMHardulak
            AMHardulak commented
            Editing a comment
            It was Jane Ellliot who kept me watching The City!

Originally posted by RoidRage View Post
          There was a lot I loved about The City but it really didn’t have time to gel. There were so many new characters it was hard to get a handle on them. I agree with the other posters that Noelle Beck was sorely missed and I think she could have held the group together. Morgan Fairchild was campy fun but Jane Elliot really made the show awesome.
          yes agreed, there was a lot to like, but something fell a little flat. Maybe it was the storylines, maybe it was the amount of characters, but something was missing from it that the other soaps I watched had
          JC
          SOC Moderator
          soapcentral.com

Comment

i didn't watch the city that much; mostly
            loving; one of my favorite abc soaps.
            loving and the city were good.

Comment

I was in high school during Loving, and I thought Lorna Forbes was about the prettiest girl ever. Never watched The City.

Comment

Watched it. It wasn't til the end that the show found its groove. But I always appreciated its desire to try different things. I think due to it having had been on longer and there being a deeper investment, I'd choose its Loving incarnation over The City.

Comment

I didn't watch Loving but I LOVED The City.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
                    Watched it. It wasn't til the end that the show found its groove. But I always appreciated its desire to try different things. I think due to it having had been on longer and there being a deeper investment, I'd choose its Loving incarnation over The City.
                    I agree, I thought The City was a little boring at first but definitely got better as it found its groove.
                    Nothing in the soaps has come close for me since the Loving Murders, still 20+ years later I rememebr so many of the details of that storyline, lol, it was just so good!
                    JC
                    SOC Moderator
                    soapcentral.com

Comment

I preferred Loving. The only thing I liked about The City was Debbie Morgan and Darnell Williams.

Comment

I liked Loving but I loved The City. That show had so much unrealized potential. It was canceled far too early. The only thing that bothered me is that it never felt like NYC to me. There were too few people around and those lofts were humongous with very little furniture. There's no way a majority of the characters could afford to live in a building in that neighborhood.

Comment

I liked Loving better. Johnny Mathis signing during the opening.

Comment

• seanny
                            seanny commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Loving had some great openers (and closers). OLTL too.

I really liked The City, the actors were all good and I liked the use of a lot of outside location shots. It really was just getting going when it ended. It had to be a pain for production using the same set for the different apts and Angie's clinic. The worst was when The City was cancelled and The View began and moved in to Sydney's penthouse just as it was.

Comment

• JCmojoe81
                            JCmojoe81 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            i remember that! That was definitely unique, lol, they were just like plopped in her penthouse. The outside shots were awesome, that really gave it such a unique vibe, unlike any of the other shows on at the time.

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X