Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are the stories on B & B going?

the "murder mystery" that wasn't, failed to entertain anyone for long. This Quinn/Carter mess might be interesting if someone other than Paris and Zoe were involved. I know it's asking a lot, but why can't they get writers that have actually graduated from high school. This soap used to be interesting when it actually involved the fashion industry. There are so many great stories they could mix in with the soapy goodness that actually involved fashion with European intrigue and retail cut throats. The Hope and LIam show isn't enough.

I agree, this show is in desperate need of better writing. There is a lack of structure that is so frustrating because you know that whatever storyline is introduced, there is never going to be any real payoff. And the characters as written are mostly very shallow with no defining personality traits.

Comment

Bold and beautiful has turned into The Californians from SNL.

Comment

Can we get some female writers, who can actually write for women? Clearly this show isn't being written by women. I like to think the women on the show have a brain. But to Bell, they don't. They're just empty headed, desperate, hard up women who aren't too proud to beg to get a man to be with them. Wish someone would tell Bell that it's 2021. I like to think that today's women have some dignity and respect for themselves. Bell clearly have no respect for women. Really wish he would step down as headwriter.

Comment

Bold and the Beautiful is GONE. it hasn’t been the soap i grew up with since the great Susan Flannery retired in 2012.

What’s airing now is a shell of the show’s former glory. Seemingly written by a bunch of sexually repressed middle school boys.

Comment

• AnnMagda
            AnnMagda commented
            Editing a comment
            True. Susan Flannery carried the show. Without her powerful presence, it doesn't have a center. And although the writing had already started going downhill before she left, her departure was the final nail in the coffin of the B&B I grew up with.

Thing is, B&B was past its prime before Susan Flannery retired but it was a masterpiece in comparison to what we see today! These lackluster storylines are why soaps are a dying breed.

We need true gray characters, not previously tortured characters becoming goody-goody. Also, the supposedly "pure" characters aren't allowed to be held accountable. That gets old fast! There is also very little character growth. I think the only one that has had a big progression is Steffy. Hope has grown SOME but not nearly enough. Speaking of Hope, can we not have three-quarters of the cast discussing one character?

Comment

1. The dumbing down of the vocabulary. You can clearly see the difference in the education level of the writing between the glory days and the current show.
            2. The misogynistic view of women. The writing is insulting and seemingly done by ME TOO Hollywood types.
            3. Lack of any planning and story telling... going from ratings stunt to ratings stunt.
            4. Lack of knowledge of character history.
            5. Obsessive focus on a few characters. This is a real study on psychological insight of the writer.

Comment

• NuttyAboutSoaps
              NuttyAboutSoaps commented
              Editing a comment
              Sadly, I have to agree with all of these points, particularly number 5. They need to tell more than one story at a time - and put characters like Hope and Liam on the back burner. I've seen enough of those two clowns to last a lifetime.

• PeaceOut
              PeaceOut commented
              Editing a comment
              This is all very true..Especially 3 & 5. And lately it has been like a circus, between bad wardrobe, and Bill's yelling like a fool

• AnnMagda
              AnnMagda commented
              Editing a comment
              Very good points! I don't know which one of them annoys me the most. I am currently watching whatever old B&B episodes from the 80s/early 90s I can find online and I am IN LOVE with the writing and storytelling of that era. It is a joy to watch. The dialogue is eloquent, witty and full of subtext. Every character is developed and has their own personality that shines through in every scene (even really peripheral characters like Stacy the waitress). All women are not solely focused on the men in their lives (especially Caroline is a breath of fresh air with her strong career focus) and the relationships that are unhealthy are actually portrayed as less than ideal and the flaws of the relationship aren't glossed over (I loved watching Donna secretly cheering and dancing after finding her loser boyfriend in bed with another girl because it gave her a reason to finally dump him). And the whole long term plot structure of the 80s is genius - everything is there for a reason and all storylines and characters are intertwined in several different ways, with each and every major character being the protagonist in their own story.

It is a painful reminder of how great this show once was and how far downhill it has gone.

Down the tubes....more so year after year.

I really cannot understand how the writing became SO BAD....the entire story of Carter and Quinn and Zoe's campaign to get Carter back and Paris helping her....telling Flo that Carter was 'involved' with someone when he (supposedly) slept with Shauna.....the convoluted 'ongoing concern' of Thomas interfering in Liam and Hope's marriage by Brooke.....the lame 'murder mystery' - the whole show is dull and laughable right now.....

Comment

ITA I barely watch now and it's been that way for years. I'll come back for an interesting storyline but I'm always disappointed. The story isn't developed and it falls flat. Just like the who shot Bill one. There was so much potential with Liam being the shooter. But they went for value and threw Taylor into a story when she hasn't been in the screen in years. Wouldn't be surprised if it's Taylor who really hit Vinnie.

Also can they just completely remove scenes that are only characters talking about other characters business. The other day a whole day of Shauna and Quinn repeating the same lines with an unlocked door. And Paris and Flo doing the exact same thing. Boring.

Even Liam all he does it sit in the visitation room and talk to Hope. Can we see him interact with other inmates or maybe he in his cell breaking down. I'm amazed this show keeps getting renewed in the US market.

Comment

• AnnMagda
                AnnMagda commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, if a scene can be summarized as some characters discussing something that happened in another scene, without adding any new information or insight into the plot or characters involved, that scene should just have been scrapped altogether.

I think making Liam the sole focus of not just one, but two professional women has really hurt the show in a major way. Both Hope and Steffy have regressed as characters, in Steffy's case it's to the point of character destruction. Steffy was the lead that ran FC, could deal with corporate Drama and infighting, and had a romantic life. Now, she's shown in the office but not working, just talking about her romantic life. She does nothing else. I think writing in JMW's real life pregnancy was a huge mistake, the character has become irritatingly one note.

When the show becomes too annoying or an actual chore to watch, well....

Comment

• HaleNaw!
                HaleNaw! commented
                Editing a comment
                I second this post. A SINN baby is rushed and unnecessary. Made more so by the fact that Dr. Snooze doesn’t even have a backstory yet! But, yes, sure, let’s give this one-note character a baby!! RME

Originally posted by bluejazz View Post
              I think making Liam the sole focus of not just one, but two professional women has really hurt the show in a major way. Both Hope and Steffy have regressed as characters, in Steffy's case it's to the point of character destruction. Steffy was the lead that ran FC, could deal with corporate Drama and infighting, and had a romantic life. Now, she's shown in the office but not working, just talking about her romantic life. She does nothing else. I think writing in JMW's real life pregnancy was a huge mistake, the character has become irritatingly one note.

When the show becomes too annoying or an actual chore to watch, well....
              Well, I think Steffy is at least getting better writing than when she was WITH Liam. We aren't seeing her fight, beg, miserable, devalue herself and on her knees for a worthless man. So at the very least, her away from Liam was a nice step in the right direction and her focus is a little bit elsewhere. Plus, even though, I am not fond of them writing in JMW's pregnancy, at least there is a story there, Sinn fans have something to look forward to and ensure know this a long-term tie between the two characters, and it opens to new story opportunities other than recycled triangle since she is having a baby with fresh character. The possibilities are endless. Plus, it is always nice to grow and diversify the next generation grow.

So personally, I can't complain much. She isn't even dumbed down when she is with Finn, and sounds like her old self and very excited for her future, yet the moment Liam, is the topic of conversation, she sounds like the rest of the cast who ALL sound like a village of idiots who coddle Liam.

We can still have her lead the company, but she is pregnant and I think they are focus on domesticating Steffy for a bit now, which grows her character, she is a mother, she can't behave in the ways, she has in the past and then when she gives birth, they will maybe do a whole business story, while her romantic life will be at the side and as well develop Finn's character a bit more.
              Last edited by creativequeen; June 11, 2021, 11:11 AM.

Comment

• bluejazz
                bluejazz commented
                Editing a comment
                I think domesticating Steffy has taken away a big, dynamic, and interesting part of the character. It takes away her legacy from Stephanie too.

Now she’s a one note bore.

• creativequeen
                creativequeen commented
                Editing a comment
                bluejazz

I think we are equalling Steffy being happy to be boring. Steffy is just a happy state of mind right now. We have not seen zen Steffy in a while, so I guess this is new, but it does not make her boring, not for me, at least.

Steffy's last driven business story, was when she saved the company from Bill. But other than that, they give her crumbs here and there with Intimates and California Freedom, but the whole show revolves around HFTF, as if it is the only line FC is working on.

Originally posted by megthered View Post
              the "murder mystery" that wasn't, failed to entertain anyone for long. This Quinn/Carter mess might be interesting if someone other than Paris and Zoe were involved. I know it's asking a lot, but why can't they get writers that have actually graduated from high school. This soap used to be interesting when it actually involved the fashion industry. There are so many great stories they could mix in with the soapy goodness that actually involved fashion with European intrigue and retail cut throats. The Hope and LIam show isn't enough.
              I agree with you 100%

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
              Working...
              X