Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B&B First week amid pandemic: thoughts on interactions

Frist of all kudos on being among the first to return to production, and taking all precautions for staff. I've heard nothing but good things from the cast on the care and medical assistance in place for the whole team. But now down the results of the extra precautions with guidelines (outside of any poor dialogues or plots), it felt too awkward and unnatural in too many areas of intimacy whether conversations or physical.

-Bill sees Steffy on the ground and at the hospital, and he doesn't even approach or touch his practical family member
    -We've never even seen the doctor take Steffy's pulse or even touch her each time he goes into the room. And I guess no more hospital staff walking around in background during shooting.
    -Bill, Brooke and Ridge so far apart from each other in the waiting area as they will just have to shout out communicate what is going on.
    -And yes, the first kiss screen was awkward as hell shooting the characters at a distance while they try to make the right face and emote the right feelings. And it had to come off convincing that they were actually touching each other when Flo was actually kissing her own real life partner or a made up mannequin (per new guidelines). And at the end of the exciting exchange, Flo and Wyatt have to stand far apart and talk to each other across the room.

The general conversation with people standing apart and sitting across the table were ok, like Bill and Katie, Carter and Zoe, and Ridge and Brooke with tension. Especially happy to see Ridge touch daughter Steffy's hand at the hospital even if it was over the covers; Steffy and Liam touching Kelly as it was the closest to normal interaction that we've seen this week.

Overall, much of it came off like a high school play. Too much to get used to at this time. IMO, the actors know the profession that they signed up for. So if they were willing and comfortable enough to return with testing and sanitary precautions, then they should be willing to at least hold hands or stand a little closer for intimate conversations. Any ways, the actors will have to work harder to emote feelings and natural chemistry at distance and fans will have to tune in to support. I get that bills have to get paid, but now they will probably have to shut down again with LA becoming an epicenter. So we probably will not have to get used to this production for very long. I could have waited a little for pandemic to be over. But at some point they had to give a trial run I guess.

It's different. We just have to get used to it. I thought it was pretty interesting, but yet funny. Like I said we have to get used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by sspsoap View Post
      -Bill, Brooke and Ridge so far apart from each other in the waiting area as they will just have to shout out communicate what is going on.
      You just gave me a visual in my head! I can see it now. Each one of them shouting to talk to each other from across the room!

Comment

The interactions bother me less than the fact that I literally don't care about one of the two storylines taking place this week and it ate up too much screentime. Flo was DOA as a character, in my opinion, and should have been axed after the baby switch came out. This whole story was the writing team hamfistedly trying to get people to root for her. Yeah, no. Not happening. Next to that, slightly awkward blocking and shot angles pale in comparison

Comment

• WhimsyDiva
          WhimsyDiva commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree with you about Flo being DOA. She is such a useless character to have imo. The sl’s this week were not interesting at all. I just wish it was Flo that had a real illness and was going to die or something.

• will-alton
          will-alton commented
          Editing a comment
          The writing team should have learned a lesson. If heavy-handed writing won't get a great many viewers to root for a woman who had her baby stolen after birth, why would heavy-handedness make them root for the heartless woman who sold her? Don't tell us who we must root for and who to condemn. That will only make people rebel against the narrative.

The scenes didn't translate at all. Especially having Brooke Hoover in corner while Bill stands across the room talking to Ridge who is also at the opposite end of the hallway.

I wish they waited until some of the restrictions lifted or if they did less episodes so they had more time to really work in camera tricks.

It's not good at all.

Comment

• sspsoap
          sspsoap commented
          Editing a comment
          ITA...Brooke hoovering in the corner was so out of sort, and it is just not part of her character to seem so distant in a scene that is supposed to be inclusive of the three. Also because the three were standing so far apart, it was hard to keep all three in the same camera shop. The panning of the camera between the three was a bit annoying at time as they shout from afar to communicate.

The kissing & hugging scenes are awful. The protocols placed on the show ruin the emotional aspect of the storyline[s]

Comment

Originally posted by sspsoap View Post
          -Bill sees Steffy on the ground and at the hospital, and he doesn't even approach or touch his practical family member
          That's why I had thought it would have been more logical if Bill had not been allowed into Steffy's room and he might just watch her through a window or might just have flashbacks.
          Bill being teary eyed, while sitting in a chair and wait for information about Steffy's status, calling and informing Liam and Ridge via phone call - easy to film and to keep the distance that way.

Comment

• sspsoap
            sspsoap commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, if they wanted to assure us that Bill does have any romantic or improper interactions with the mother of his grand child again, this was the way to do it. Taking advantage of social distancing for one of the most awkward moments.

Originally posted by Chenanarama View Post
          The interactions bother me less than the fact that I literally don't care about one of the two storylines taking place this week and it ate up too much screentime. Flo was DOA as a character, in my opinion, and should have been axed after the baby switch came out. This whole story was the writing team hamfistedly trying to get people to root for her. Yeah, no. Not happening. Next to that, slightly awkward blocking and shot angles pale in comparison

This!! If people did not like or connect to Flo prior to Corona, they really will dislike her more during these awkward interactions and bad story writing like not giving her amnesia after knocking her out so does not come back preaching and overly disgusted with Sally over what is not right. Also the fact that she could not get out of nylon stockings...for crying out load did we all see how easy it was to stretch them and slip her foot out in the end while she had two free hand?

Comment

I'm like another poster brought up the other day. Flo's hesitation (as I saw it) to get loose was intentional, so as to when Wyatt came looking for her he would see evidence of what went on. I think it was pretty smart myself. As far as couples staying apart and things looking awkward, that's all they can do right now, other than using a partner, wife, husband, etc., and that's pretty smart too. To sspsoap: love your post about Steffy being mother of Bill's grandchild. That gave me a chuckle I needed. Thanks!
            Last edited by prpnc; July 25, 2020, 09:03 AM.

Comment

OP, the scenes with Steffy, Kelly and Liam were filmed before the shutdown. I agree with most posts that it felt disjointed. And they could have done better by having Bill outside of Steffy’s room looking through the window, that would have been more believable than having him standing in her room. It seems like they are trying too hard to distance the actors and it’s making them loose logic. If this was filmed naturally, Bill wouldn’t have been allowed in Steffy’s room, and Steffy should have body casts and a oxygen mask on or something, but production is missing natural things the could use, but now it’s looking more fake trying to be natural. The hospital setting could have been done so much better. Dr. Finn could have been dressed in full covering, gown, hair covering, masks and gloves when coming out of Steffy’s room, he could have lowered his mask to briefly speak to Bill or Ridge, and proceeded to remove his gown and gloves while walking away. It could have been written more naturally.

Comment

Well done, I think they have done the job well with the means made available, they have no choice, their health and that of their family is a priority.

Comment

As far as I am concerned, it was done well under the circumstances I am just glad that the show is back on. I can adjust to the changes and I have no complaints. Carry on, B&B.

Comment

I missed Friday's show, but saw Thursday - wanted a look at Dr. Finn . I didn't mind the social distancing they were doing. When Bill was in Steffy's, room it didn't bother me because I pictured Bill standing at the foot of her bed. Plus, I thought they handled my other fav Sally trying to seduce Wyatt. They were far apart, but it worked for me because Sally was doing the strip tease to try to seduce him.

Comment

Originally posted by Fanlady View Post
                      OP, the scenes with Steffy, Kelly and Liam were filmed before the shutdown. I agree with most posts that it felt disjointed. And they could have done better by having Bill outside of Steffy’s room looking through the window, that would have been more believable than having him standing in her room. It seems like they are trying too hard to distance the actors and it’s making them loose logic. If this was filmed naturally, Bill wouldn’t have been allowed in Steffy’s room, and Steffy should have body casts and a oxygen mask on or something, but production is missing natural things the could use, but now it’s looking more fake trying to be natural. The hospital setting could have been done so much better. Dr. Finn could have been dressed in full covering, gown, hair covering, masks and gloves when coming out of Steffy’s room, he could have lowered his mask to briefly speak to Bill or Ridge, and proceeded to remove his gown and gloves while walking away. It could have been written more naturally.

Thanks for the clarification on the Steffy, Kelly and Liam scenes. I was thinking that maybe the parents of the little actress felt safe about kids not contracting virus as easily and the testing of cast and doctors on set. Of course it makes sense that it was one of the scenes prior to shut down. Certainly appreciate the memory of one of the most natural affectionate moment that we may not see for a long time. Hope that they have a saved scene from Liam, Hope, Beth and Thomas son as well.
                      And great practical suggestion about the doctor wearing a mask, glove and gown and could have easily stood much closer to Steffy to talk to her and touch her. B&B has some crazy plots and writing, but to completely overlook such obvious opportunity in a hospital setting as well as hospital equipment for props is dumb founding. My guess is that they were so anxious to get back to work at any means that much of the logic went out of window over production and billings. Then again after spending so much money and distraction on new protocols and guidelines, they just skimped on the common sense props even though gloves and mask should always be in stock. Anyways, they are just starting out again I new world. Things will get better.

Comment

Originally posted by Fanlady View Post
                        I have been to the ER plenty of times, and I have never seen a doctor dressed in a gown, hair coving or a mask. I would have turned the channel if they had him dressed up like that.

Comment

• kahinamah
                          kahinamah commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Same, I would have had the impression of being in a horror movie that takes place in the hospital

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X