• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joncharmed93
    Contract Poster
    • Apr 2012

Liam & Hopes original love story was very sweet

I've been watching old episodes and I'm back up to Liam and Hope falling in love and I have to say the original story was very sweet. Especially how they bonded over not really knowing their fathers and Hope trying to escape the scandal with Oliver. Kim Matula had so much chemistry with Scott Clifton. They really seem like an end couple back then.

I wish Bell didn't ruin that love story. I know drama always happens to couples, but it would have been nice to have a couple that sticks together through thick and thin instead of the love triangle between Liam Hope and Steffy.

• ILoveBizzie
    I Let My Evil Twin Post For Me
    • Aug 2009

I agree.

I hope they stay with Lope and let Steffy and the new man have a nice romance where there’s no cheating or triangles.

Comment

• Anotherwoman
      Anotherwoman commented
      Editing a comment
      That would be great! Steffy deserves her own man.
  • prpnc
    Scriptwriter
    • Jul 2006

I thought it was too. I agree about the chemistry. When I first came on this board, I could not figure out why so many people hated Hope. I was so sad when KM left and walked off into the mist. When Hope and Liam were resumed later and Hope returned from Italy, they just did not work for me anymore. All the difference in the world with that couple now. Send them off to Italy or somewhere.
    Last edited by prpnc; July 17, 2020, 07:09 PM.

Comment

• FatedCinderella
      Recurring Poster
      • Jun 2018

I think *and this is just my opinion* that the reason people began to hate Lope so much, was because from their first obstacle, they have always refused to take any responsibility for their breakups.

Yes there were manipulations, but they also made hundreds of bad choices on their own, yet used the manipulations as an excuse.

- Yes Steffy tried to come between them in 2011, but Liam chose to kiss her (which Hope saw), he then chose to propose to her and marry her on the cliff. But instead of Hope holding him responsible for any of that, they both chose to just say it was all Steffy and Bill's fault.

- Bill manipulated Liam into thinking Hope left him the day of their wedding. Liam however chose to makeout with his ex wife, instead of investigating. When Bill's manipulation came out, Hope no longer cared that Liam was about to run off with Steffy 5 minutes before their wedding, it was all Bill's fault.

- Liam chose to go to his next wedding still half drunk, after again spending the night before partying with his ex-wife. Rick then had othello lie. When the truth came out, it was all Rick's fault. Liams actions again were forgotten.

- Quinn pushed Ivy into the Seine. She did not force Hope to decide to marry Wyatt bc Liam was late. But when it all came out, it was again all Quinns fault. Hope wasn't held responsible for the choice she made.

- Then there is the recent kiss. Manipulation to make Hope see it or not, Liam still chose to return the kiss, quite passionately at that... But Thomas's role comes out, and suddenly it doesnt matter that Liam kissed Steffy back, it was all Thomas and Steffys fault.

The two of them have never accepted an ounce of responsibility for their relationship imploding, they always find a way to place the blame 100% on another party... And I think that's how they lost their appeal to a lot of viewers.

Comment

• viennagirl
        viennagirl commented
        Editing a comment
        ITA about Flo/Wyatt - They have started badly (Flo not telling Wyatt for months about Phoebe being Beth), but since their reunion they have been honest with each other I think and they should keep doing that.

On B&B all couples seem to miscommunicate, act before taking with the other, keeping secrets.... .

It seems to be necessary for the triangles - the 3rd one someone can goes too and can bond with.... .
        ______

As for taking responsibility for their actions..... - it depends on what you expect (stating again and again that you are sorry for what you have done? How often, for how long... ? )

soapy4life - as you said, we had Lope and Leffy making impulsive decisions.
        We had Hope regretting the impulsive break-up call over the phone and trying to make up for it, going to Liam to talk - and Liam was the one proposing to Steffy on the rebound, so that Hope taking responsibility didn't matter much and Liam got called out for his right after.

We had Liam taking responsibility for the kiss and confessing, then taking again responsibility and asking Carter for a renewal ceremony to proof his commitment and that he would change his behavior - and his "taking responsibility" didn't matter much because at that time Steffy already had had the ONS with his father and then had to take responsibility for that when Liam found out.

If "taking responsibility" means to change significantly - that probably won't happen. They keep doing the same things.

Liam after so many years has not become able to clearly express himself well when a woman wants him to make a clear decision, Hope still makes impulsive decisions, Steffy has not succeeded in staying out of the Lope drama and not let herself be pulled back into it (even when she had tried) despite her earlier resolution, Bridge have not been able to follow their resolution "forgiveness, Love overcomes everything" regardless of what has been said during their last wedding, Bill still isn't more loyal to Katie than before, Thomas has not improved even when his latest relationship (Sally-Thomas) had been blown up because of lies/ Bill's scheme and he had been rejected before when he chased someone who had been in love with someone else ..... .

• FatedCinderella
        FatedCinderella commented
        Editing a comment
        @soapy4life
        The difference to me though is Steffy has always taken responsibility for her mistakes with Liam.

- She never let anyone think Bill took advantage of her for sleeping with him.
        - She was furious with Quinn for kidnapping Liam, and her manipulations to get her Wyatt together, but she also reminded Liam many times that they were in a bad place when he disappeared.

Steffy and Liam have MAJOR problems, mainly being that he treats her like crap, and she deserves 10x better, but they never blamed outside sources for their implosions.

• PeaceOut
        PeaceOut commented
        Editing a comment
        soapy4life That is because Steffy did not trust Liam, and like Viennagirl said. It's difficult being with a man who does not know how to make clear cut decisions either, and Steffy and Hope end up doing impulsive things too out of pure frustration. Seeing Wyatt reject Sally's attempt to kiss him (after Wyatt apologized and clearly told her he was still together with Flo), was a milestone, because chances are low Liam would ever do that. Liam always gets an excuse for doing it, but it's getting lame. I was glad to see there is still a guy left on this show who is not constantly stirring the pot,even though he could.
        It causes extra emotional problems for no reason.
    • CasperStorms
      Contract Poster
      • Jun 2007

I actually liked Lope as well when they first started. I thought they were sweet and cute together. Now I despise Liam so much I can't stand any of his pairings.

Comment

• CouchCruisin'
        Executive Poster
        • May 2014

Originally posted by joncharmed93 View Post
        I've been watching old episodes and I'm back up to Liam and Hope falling in love and I have to say the original story was very sweet. Especially how they bonded over not really knowing their fathers and Hope trying to escape the scandal with Oliver. Kim Matula had so much chemistry with Scott Clifton. They really seem like an end couple back then.

I wish Bell didn't ruin that love story. I know drama always happens to couples, but it would have been nice to have a couple that sticks together through thick and thin instead of the love triangle between Liam Hope and Steffy.
        I absolutely agree.

Originally posted by ILoveBizzie View Post
        I agree.

I hope they stay with Lope and let Steffy and the new man have a nice romance where there’s no cheating or triangles.
        Will I jinx it by saying 'Good Luck?' LOL

Comment

• Sharkswin
          Senior Board Member
          • Sep 2016

As far as I'm concerned, Hope and Liam have the best original love story in the younger generation. They also have the most natural chemistry IMO.

Comment

• Nikki7447xoxo
            Contract Poster
            • Sep 2019

Originally posted by ILoveBizzie View Post
            I agree.

Yep. Biz ÿ so true!

+

Shark Win I so agree yes indeed ? percent.”

A real Soap super couple imho ♥️??‍??
            +
            each repeat with original hope by Matula,

i actually still rewind, a certain line or scene yep.

“Them two are too adorable.”?♥️

BREATHTAKING imho are only a “few on tv”

and that is Hope and Liam. Neil Drucilla,
            Imho Steffy with Bill Sharon with Nick #Breathtaking
            Thorne with Macy, few others on CBS, nt too many.”

They can be goofy ? laughing great times then all emo and serious mature and just perfect in many ways imo.”True love, realistically a real love story
            for sure, unlike how he was with Steffy.”

> Easy to connect when I’m watchin them.
            -Meant to be, on this soap for a long time.

i recall Bell saying how he would wait “ as long as needed” to get Kimberly Matula back.”Happy Bell didn’t write hope out.??

Bell, he always made the story to be about her and Liam,
            as he said plenty of times.

It truly is so beautiful and now with older hope played by Annika! ? Steffy now can get her own man to
            “ look at her”

n respect her the same way Liam always still look at his sweet beautiful precious hope Logan!”

I just love both since insta-first scene.”

Can’t wait time see her ( Steffy) be put first finally ?

as Liam always put Steffy second

and no good woman ? should settle for that.”
            Last edited by Nikki7447xoxo; July 18, 2020, 05:09 PM.

Comment

• B-Hold
              Day Player
              • Nov 2012

Hope declared Liam to be her "knight in shining armor". But fromt he start Hope cheated on Liam with Oliver several times and had 5 yo hissy fits for irrational reasons and dumped Liam multiple times prior to Steffy. They weren't IMO a "Love story" but a story of a young man trying to appease a spoiled rotten mememe Princess. Neither have EVER taken responsibility for their issues/problems. And Hope has NEVER even when caught by Liam in the act called out for her cheating. Seeing Hope getting away with being a lair, a cheater, manipulative, selfish witch is not fun. Seeing Liam made a fool of and being castrated by Hope is not fun.

Comment

• Soapwatcher7
                Soapwatcher7 commented
                Editing a comment
                That's exactly how I saw it as well. It's also the reason I love them as a couple because they aren't ever happy with each other. Love it when she makes him miserable. Liam always complained to bill and stuffy about his misery but was and still isn man enough to say it to her. Over and over bill and steffy get accused of talking trash about her when the truth is, they just repeated back to him all of the complaints that he'd made about her and their relationship. I enjoy him being publicly humiliated by her disclosing to any and everyone what she decided as best for them. I especially like it when she tells liam she wants to wait for marriage but she she kept trying to have sex with Oliver and the almost cuckold liam would beg her not to, so romantic.
            • SharikaC
              Senior Board Member
              • Oct 2015

Hope/Liam were boring then and they're boring now. Not buying what TIIC have been trying to sell these two non chemistry having folks.

Comment

• Lady Killer
                Senior Board Member
                • Jun 2011

Kim Matula did it for me

Comment

• shortcake2015
                  Recurring Poster
                  • Jul 2015

To be honest I liked the love story with Oliver much more. When Steffy did her strip tease in front of him he wasn't interested. He only had eyes for Hope and was fine with her thoughts of sex and waiting till marriage. Bell ruined it when he had Oliver step out of character and make love with Brooke mistakenly or not. He hadn't pressured Hope until then but at that moment he become a giant hormone.

I have not seen Liam really respect any woman he was with and has proven himself time and time again to be unworthy of any woman's trust.

Comment

• viennagirl
                    viennagirl commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Stephanie chased Liam around because he had known that Steffy was innocent and that Justin had manipulated the tribute and Liam still had just watched Steffy taking the fall and being fired and doing nothing to help Steffy, even when Steffy had hired Liam/ IT guy to help her to prove her innocence.

And still he later became a love interest for Steffy, when Liam Cooper turned out to be Liam Spencer.

"Steffy: Yeah. You know what? It was like... like a butterfly coming out of its cocoon. You know, here's this normal guy. He's kind of cute, pretty smart. You know, maybe you would look twice, but I don't know, he just didn't stand out. And how could he? He didn't know who he was. But the moment Bill accepted him, it was just like this... bam! This light went on, and he wasn't just some guy anymore. He was William Spencer III. It is all out there in front of him, his whole future. You know, he's not some nerdy computer tech anymore. Heís... he's got a whole different pedigree now."
                    (Sept. 20, 2010)

• viennagirl
                    viennagirl commented
                    Editing a comment
                    As for Oliver,
                    I had liked Oliver at the beginning, started to have my issues with him (and his intelligence), when he was supposed to believe that his virginal girlfriend who had not been ready to have sex at his place, would suddenly wants to lose her virginity outside of her party when someone could easily walk in on them and could watch them.

And I lost any sympathy for Oliver, when we had him having a "friends with benefits" relationship with Amber and sleeping with Amber,
                    while then listening to Amber how Oliver has been Hope's first love and he should be the one who gets to take her virginity and how they could make that happen.

And the writer's irony, when they had Amber warning Oliver to not knock Hope up and to use protection, when Amber then got pregnant and thought it was Oliver's baby (but it ended up to be Marcus').

_________
                    "Amber: I have my ways. All you have to do is get yourself to that party. Be there with Hope instead of Liam. You know, tonight, it's a really special night for Hope. She's becoming a woman. She's ready for this. And if--if you can do for her what you've done for me...
                    Amber: She's all yours. Just use protection."
                    (Nov. 18, 2010)

• B-Hold
                    B-Hold commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes. Olivier and Hope were sweet together.
                • Boldfan4ever
                  I Let My Evil Twin Post For Me
                  • Jan 2018

Originally posted by joncharmed93 View Post

Hope has every chance to get to know her father and she did at one point but has since dropped him like a hot potato

Comment

• BlueGalexy
                    Recurring Poster
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by FatedCinderella View Post
                    I think *and this is just my opinion* that the reason people began to hate Lope so much, was because from their first obstacle, they have always refused to take any responsibility for their breakups.

Yes there were manipulations, but they also made hundreds of bad choices on their own, yet used the manipulations as an excuse.

- Yes Steffy tried to come between them in 2011, but Liam chose to kiss her (which Hope saw), he then chose to propose to her and marry her on the cliff. But instead of Hope holding him responsible for any of that, they both chose to just say it was all Steffy and Bill's fault.

- Bill manipulated Liam into thinking Hope left him the day of their wedding. Liam however chose to makeout with his ex wife, instead of investigating. When Bill's manipulation came out, Hope no longer cared that Liam was about to run off with Steffy 5 minutes before their wedding, it was all Bill's fault.

- Liam chose to go to his next wedding still half drunk, after again spending the night before partying with his ex-wife. Rick then had othello lie. When the truth came out, it was all Rick's fault. Liams actions again were forgotten.

- Quinn pushed Ivy into the Seine. She did not force Hope to decide to marry Wyatt bc Liam was late. But when it all came out, it was again all Quinns fault. Hope wasn't held responsible for the choice she made.

- Then there is the recent kiss. Manipulation to make Hope see it or not, Liam still chose to return the kiss, quite passionately at that... But Thomas's role comes out, and suddenly it doesnt matter that Liam kissed Steffy back, it was all Thomas and Steffys fault.

The two of them have never accepted an ounce of responsibility for their relationship imploding, they always find a way to place the blame 100% on another party... And I think that's how they lost their appeal to a lot of viewers.
                    This isn't just your opinion FC...I quite agree! Just like the OP, I too originally enjoyed the Liam/Hope pairing. Sadly however, that lasted only until their first "break up". *sigh* It isn't just their total refusal to accept accountability either IMO. The writers have compounded it and made things exponentially worse IMO by relentlessly holding Liam and Hope out to be pillars of perfection. It's bad enough when Liam and Hope get going and praise one another's perfection, but now that the writers have every other character doing the same, it's become downright intolerable, to me at least. Of course no soap couples are without fault and they all have their "issues", but I've never seen one as doggedly blameless or perfectly perfect as that of Liam and Hope.

I truly would like to enjoy this pairing again, but quite frankly with the glaring lack of chemistry between the two actors, and the currently dismal writing that shows absolutely zero sign of improvement...well, let's just say I won't be making book on it anytime soon.

​​​​

Comment

• Lakergirl 04
                      Board Regular
                      • Aug 2018

The original might had chemistry, but the recast version doesn't. It reminds me of Bridge. RM/KKL had steam to spare, but TK and Lang don't. I see Annika have it with Darin and Matt.

Comment

• B-Hold
                        B-Hold commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I don't see or feel any chemistry between SC and AN either. Today when Liam was on Steffy's couch talking to each other - I felt their natural chemistry. They just click as characters and actors.

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X