This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B&B should do more social issues.

I've been watching old episodes since the show went off and I had no idea or forgot that Hope was almost raped by a scummy photographer. Also Sandy searching for her racist and finding out that lots of cases go untested was very eye opening and very relative to what's going on today.

I wonder if Bell will ever do anymore storylines with issues that are very relative to today.

Oh gawd no. Give me big hair and high fashion anyday.

Comment

Bell has done such a disservice to story lines centered on social issues that I hope he never attempts another one. From Brooke's rape, to the multiple characters with alcohol issues (Brooke, Bill, and Katie), to Maya's transgender reveal, to Thomas' sex with a drugged out Caroline, to Bill's misogynistic behavior, all were simply plot points with absolutely no depth of story and quickie resolutions.

Bell needs to stick to the kiddie pool when it comes to story lines.
      Last edited by RedheadTeacher; July 6, 2020, 07:27 PM.

Comment

• NuttyAboutSoaps
        NuttyAboutSoaps commented
        Editing a comment
        ITA. If they aren't going to do it well, they shouldn't even attempt it.

• BookLover
        BookLover commented
        Editing a comment
        You took the words right out of my mouth.

Well he already claimed that whoever Steffy’s new guy will be will involve a social issue storyline.

Comment

Originally posted by veryoldatwtfan View Post
        Well he already claimed that whoever Steffy’s new guy will be will involve a social issue storyline.
        You absolutely right. That social issue storyline with Steffy's new love interest will happen. Whenever this show returns to our tv screens.

Comment

Originally posted by RoidRage View Post
          Oh gawd no. Give me big hair and high fashion anyday.
          same here

Comment

Originally posted by Boldfan4ever View Post

same here
            Agreed!!! I need a break from news and agenda driven television.

If Bell had proven he could write social issues WELL and sensitively I would be all for it. But he creates instant alcoholics who are also instantly cured, drugs
            addictions ignored, stories that completely ignored a character's own history.... no thanks.

He would botch it then drop it.

Comment

• WalnutGirl
              WalnutGirl commented
              Editing a comment
              I have not watched the soap in a long time, I recall Katie's alcoholism, and Brooke's rape, but who had drug problems? I recall Amber did years ago after two miscarriages. But not recently. As a teen in the 80's and young adult in the 90's I use to love the social issue storylines of my favorite soaps. I learned a lot as well, they helped guide me though life in a way.

Originally posted by Sopranojenn View Post

Agreed!!! I need a break from news and agenda driven television.

If Bell had proven he could write social issues WELL and sensitively I would be all for it. But he creates instant alcoholics who are also instantly cured, drugs
            addictions ignored, stories that completely ignored a character's own history.... no thanks.

He would botch it then drop it.
            yeah correct - no one gets treatment for any addiction on this show

Comment

Not if Bell is writing it. He has proven over and over that this is not his wheelhouse. So no, he needs to stay away from any social issues storylines. Now if the show gets a new head writer who knows what they're doing, we can revisit the social issues storylines again.

Comment

Originally posted by joncharmed93 View Post
                I've been watching old episodes since the show went off and I had no idea or forgot that Hope was almost raped by a scummy photographer. Also Sandy searching for her racist and finding out that lots of cases go untested was very eye opening and very relative to what's going on today.

I wonder if Bell will ever do anymore storylines with issues that are very relative to today.
                Hope was manipulated and a kiss that she didn`t ask for by Thomas

Comment

I would like to see a *normal* show. I watch it occasionally so I don`t need to see political **** in a soap. If this happen I`ll quit watching. I watch a soap to relax not to get mad

Comment

Oh please no! So tired of Hollywood presuming to tell me how I should feel about something. I am an adult, I will form my own opinions. Like gardeniagirl above, I watch to soaps as an escape. Bell can kindly keep his preaching to himself, not interested. My girl Steffy needs a real story, not a PSA.

Comment

A "social issue" is coming to B&B whether we like it or not, via Steffy's new man.

Bell's and B&B's record on writing relevant social issues with any kind of subtly, grace, depth, or understanding is abysmal. I'm just hoping this upcoming "issues" storyline wraps up quickly, so we can get some love in the afternoon between Steffy and a hot new guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Okee View Post
                        Oh please no! So tired of Hollywood presuming to tell me how I should feel about something. I am an adult, I will form my own opinions. Like gardeniagirl above, I watch to soaps as an escape. Bell can kindly keep his preaching to himself, not interested. My girl Steffy needs a real story, not a PSA.
                        totes agree

Comment

Can we admit that Bell only succeeded in telling a social issue story when Susan Flannery was the vehicle he used to tell it? Every other time, imo, it's been a flop or a drop.

Like, for example KKL was absolutely killing Brooke's rape storyline then he went and had the "key to her recovery" be sex with Ridge. Such a bad call and threw all KKL's hard work at portraying a victim and the recovery process out of the window.

Or, how he decided to have a trans character... but not hire a trans actress. Nicole could have been Maya's secret. He could have hired a trans actress for the role and we still would have gotten the social story about inclusion and identity, the introduction of the Avants, and (eventually) through Nicole and Zende the love story he wanted to tell... without falling back on harmful stereotypes about trans women having to "trick" their partners. But he went for shock factor instead of a thoughtful story with accurate and meaningful representation for a marginalized group and we got a story that a lot of the audience just couldn't enjoy.

Every writer has things they are really great at and things they struggle with. Social issues are, I think, not something Bell does particularly well. He's so much better at over the top, a little bit shocking, a little bit drama type of writing. He can deliver a jaw dropping OMG moment, but a well constructed, sensitive, authentic social issues type of story isnt really in his bag these days.

​​

Comment

• Xyla
                            Xyla commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I said at the time that as long as they were bringing on Nicole, she should have been the one who was played by a transgender person (I left the gender open, with the use of the word person, since, as a new character, they could have brought on a transgender woman who had renamed herself Nicole or a transgender guy, who was named Nicole but was now going by another name--wouldn't have mattered which they chose, since it was a new character, and in terms of Maya's story line, it wouldn't have made any difference if she had a sister who was now a brother or a brother who was now a sister). If they kept the age of the character the same or even a little younger, it would also have made the parents' opposition more integral to the story line, since if the characters was not yet of legal age, they could argue they had some say over what the character did or didn't do. Plus, transgender teens have a particularly difficult time of things, so that would have brought on the drama, too. On top of all that, if it had been a new transgender character, then there wouldn't have been any need to rewrite anyone's backstory. It just made so much more sense on so many levels to make Maya's younger sibling the transgender character.

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X