Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sally faking her illness - clever twist or poor rewrite?

Collapse

Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sally faking her illness - clever twist or poor rewrite?

I just binge watched a few months of B&B, ending with the last new episodes before the show stopped production. And watching the entire "Sally is dying" storyline knowing how it would play out, I really tried to figure out if TPTB intended her to fake her illness all along, or if they intended Sally to be ill and just changed their minds.

The only thing, to me, that implies that there was a twist coming was the ridiculous nature of Sally's illness. I doubt that there is any illness known to man that manifests as vague stress symptoms, will kill you in one month, and where no hope, medication, treatment plan or clinical study of any kind exist but the doctor just basically says "sorry, you're dying, thank you for coming, bye!".

On the other hand, that could very easily have been just lazy writing. A lot of other things with the "Sally is faking it" scenario don't add up:
    * The first time Dr Escobar phoned Sally, both were alone in the room, and yet they made no mention of their plan and seemed not to know each other at all.
    * Sally had very obvious symptoms even when alone, and was obviously distressed by those symptoms, even after her diagnosis (which according to the rewrite, should have reassured her).
    * Sally had no way of knowing for sure that Katie would tell Wyatt everything.
    * Sally DEFINITELY had no way of knowing for sure that Katie would step in at exactly the right moment to prevent Sally from being fired by Ridge and Steffy. If Sally had wanted to keep her job, wouldn't the smartest thing to do have been to personally make sure her employers found out about her "illness", instead of assuming Katie would step in and save her job at exactly the right time?

I think the following happened - TPTB want to redeem Flo and make her and Wyatt a viable couple. So they decide to kill off Sally in a way that they think will make Flo and Wyatt look good.

But breaking off an engagement because your ex just came back to town, lying to a dying woman by staging a breakup while still carrying on a relationship in secret behind the dying woman's back, and fulfilling the dying woman's wishes out of pity while waiting for her to die so you can get on with your new relationship and still pat yourself on the back for being a good person, while everyone waxes poetic about the selfless sacrifice you are making, does not, in fact, make you look good. It actually makes you look kind of bad.

So in order to make Flatt look better by comparison, they have to make Sally's character the bad one.

The problem is, IMO, it's not working. Flo and Wyatt are not looking any better in my eyes. The only thing this plot twist has accomplished is create a storyline where EVERYONE involved is a total unlikable mess.

Yep, and this is what Bell does all the damn time when he wants us to like X and Y more than other characters or couples, it's the same kinds stunts he's been pulling with other Logan's and Spencers and why I can't stand any of them.
    throwing a bunch of interesting people under the bus so a certain someone can shine and be redeemed ain't how you write a good story.
    It simply makes the character being thrown under the bus look more sympathetic by comparison to me, because I can see the obvious and out of nowhere efforts to make them look bad for no good reason.
    Sally is just the latest in a long list of characters that have been subjected to this kind of treatment by Bell in favor of his blonde females and male Spencer couplings.

Comment

• AnnMagda
      AnnMagda commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly! Funny thing is, I don't even think it would be all that out of character for Sally to fake an illness (after all, she has done some shady things in the past, and was herself dumped by Thomas because of Caroline faking a terminal illness, so she may well have got the idea there!). It could actually have been a good story if we were shown in a more plausible way what made her do it.

But the way Wyatt and Flo have gone about it, going behind the supposedly dying Sally's back while acting like they were making a huge sacrifice when they actually were just simply playing mind games with a "dying" woman (while continuing their romance), makes me kind of not care whether or not Sally is lying, because it doesn't excuse Flatt's behavior. They were lying to Sally and now it turns out Sally was lying to them too. So that doesn't make Flatt the victims and Sally the bad one - it just makes all of them equally deceptive. And Flo and Wyatt have the added baggage of the baby theft and repeatedly dumping Sally for no reason, respectively. So this rewrite is kind of making me root for Sally too, because even though her lie started this whole mess, her lie has also brilliantly exposed the character flaws of all other characters involved and turned them against them - Katie's inability to keep a secret, Flo's desperate desire to redeem her image, Wyatt's lack of commitment.

I hate what bell has done to Steffy for a Logan
    I like Brooke but I’m referring to her baby snatching niece Flo

Comment

It makes perfect sense to me! After all she is a Spectra, who just keeps coning people, and always lets others do the hard work for her Poor Coco who actually tried her best to be different? Sally and Shirley did not care and were pretty shady from the start. And frankly i never really liked Sally much, which was WAY before Flo came into the show. She has always been a rather clingy mess. And playing victim around rich men always worked in her favor, until now. So i'm not really shocked she did this. I'm just amused with the viewers who fell for her act, while there were so many holes!

There was no plan until Sally decided to exploit her diagnosis. She did go to her friend to get herself checked initially. But Penny told her it was stress (i still don;t get why she was even stressed). Allot of that we did not see until later on, because we were supposed to be "shocked" it was a lie. Viewers gave her excuses for not calling her family, or the writers for not giving her illness any name. Expecting Katie to care enough to do all of this for her own sake, was very reasonable since she just got a last minute transplant before that, and she encouraged Sally not to give up.
      ven if it did not happen that way, she would have found another plan. Like faint on purpose, or even ask Penny to knock her out with some drug because she is just THAT desperate. She gets another chance at FC, and she still blows it.

"trying to make Sally look bad, to make Flo look good" is simply a lie. She always has been shady. And i never saw real growth. Quinn saw it from miles away! This while Flo defended Sally numerous times Well that was a big mistake. Personally i'm done with Sally! At this rate, Spectra does not need to return. I don't see why she even deserves it anymore.
      Last edited by PeaceOut; July 1, 2020, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AnnMagda View Post
        I just binge watched...

... things with the "Sally is faking it" scenario don't add up:
        * The first time Dr. Escobar phoned Sally, both were alone in the room, and yet they made no mention of their plan and seemed not to know each other at all.
        * Sally had very obvious symptoms even when alone, and was obviously distressed by those symptoms, even after her diagnosis (which according to the rewrite, should have reassured her).
        * Sally had no way of knowing for sure that Katie would tell Wyatt everything.
        * Sally DEFINITELY had no way of knowing for sure that Katie would step in at exactly the right moment to prevent Sally from being fired by Ridge and Steffy. If Sally had wanted to keep her job, wouldn't the smartest thing to do have been to personally make sure her employers found out about her "illness", instead of assuming Katie would step in and save her job at exactly the right time?

I think the following happened - TPTB want to redeem Flo and make her and Wyatt a viable couple. So they decide to kill off Sally in a way that they think will make Flo and Wyatt look good.

But breaking off an engagement because your ex just came back to town, lying to a dying woman by staging a breakup while still carrying on a relationship in secret behind the dying woman's back, and fulfilling the dying woman's wishes out of pity while waiting for her to die so you can get on with your new relationship and still pat yourself on the back for being a good person, while everyone waxes poetic about the selfless sacrifice you are making, does not, in fact, make you look good. It actually makes you look ... bad.

So in order to make Flatt look better by comparison, they have to make Sally's character the bad one.

The problem is, IMO, it's not working. Flo and Wyatt are not looking any better in my eyes. The only thing this plot twist has accomplished is create a storyline where EVERYONE involved is a total unlikable mess.

The bullet point reasons above AnnMagda is why I believe there was a rewrite mid-production. I think Bell was going to write the character Sally off the show, but he may have gotten fan feedback that the kidney donation storyline failed to paint Flo Logan as a Saint like he'd intended. KB was filming a movie and DB had just gotten his newborn. Fans knew that they were returning to B&B. There were many rumors around that time that CH was off the show. She'd been MIA for months.

I agree that the whole "Sally faking an illness" storyline has made all parties involved unlikeable. Sally looks like a desperate loon. Flo Logan is and will always be a criminal who sold a baby for $50k. Wyatt cheated, lied, and treated Sally terribly.

Yet, even with all this, I'm rooting for Sally. Not for her to "win" Wyatt, but for her to be free of him and Flatt. Flatt is an even more boring version of Lope. They deserve each other.

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
        Working...
        X