Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maya and Rick's "uplifting 2015 wedding"

uhhhhhhhhh, WHAT????

So the ticker scrolling across the bottom of the screen said this episode was Maya and Rick's uplifting 2015 wedding

I'm sorry but I was anything but uplifted as they go from scenes in Eric's living room of the wedding to Steffy and everyone at Forrester talking about Aly's death.

Yeah, its so uplifting how Rick and Maya bullied a mentally unstable young girl and now she's dead and you're being rewarded by everybody singing your praises at your wedding All while the devil in the red dress portrait is hanging over the mantle looking down at you.......Such a heartwarming scene

Same... it was impossible to root for or enjoy anything Raya-related because they were constantly being rewarded for being bullies and arrogant a*****es.
    This is why, contrary to many, I don't miss Raya nor do I want them back: they'd just remind me what of Aly's death and their arrogant attitudes and they'd simply keep repeating the same things they did then with zero regards for anyone else... that's who Rick is, and most of the time whoever gets paired with him, follows suit.

Comment

Originally posted by SteamForever View Post
      Same... it was impossible to root for or enjoy anything Raya-related because they were constantly being rewarded for being bullies and arrogant a*****es.
      This is why, contrary to many, I don't miss Raya nor do I want them back: they'd just remind me what of Aly's death and their arrogant attitudes and they'd simply keep repeating the same things they did then with zero regards for anyone else... that's who Rick is, and most of the time whoever gets paired with him, follows suit.
      i dint want them back either, at least not as a couple. Not only did they treat Ally badly but then had the gall to ask Nicole to have their baby when she had never had one of her own.

Comment

I know - the "uplifting" part of that wedding was kind of eclipsed by the fact that they basically didn't even have time to rearrange the chairs in Eric's living room between Aly's memorial and Raya's wedding.

Comment

Originally posted by AnnMagda View Post
          I know - the "uplifting" part of that wedding was kind of eclipsed by the fact that they basically didn't even have time to rearrange the chairs in Eric's living room between Aly's memorial and Raya's wedding.
          i didnt find it uplifting at a all

Comment

• AnnMagda
            AnnMagda commented
            Editing a comment
            I didn't either - I guess my irony didn't translate clearly enough into print. I really found it one of those moments where the writers try to write one story ("uplifting") and ignore that what comes across is something else entirely ("the villains getting away with it").

I would like to believe "uplifting" meant the reverse of "oppressed" which Maya was as a victim of society's hate and prejudice. Rewatching the Raya wedding on YT, it was a very emotional affair. Aly became increasingly unhinged upon Steffy's return to FC. While Maya and Rick bullied Aly somewhat, it wasn't as if they torturing or terrorizing her. Fetching ice cream, meals and giving foot massages isn't exactly torment, especially when Aly could have simply said "no" and refused to do their bidding. Maya and Rick were uplifing to those who have been oppressed.

Comment

• AnnMagda
            AnnMagda commented
            Editing a comment
            I saw Maya and Rick as oppressors, rather than being oppressed. Aly was young, mentally unstable, and totally dependent on Rick. He was her uncle and controlled the house where she lived (including kicking her out of her own room, relocating her to the servants' room and making her cook for him). He was also her boss and controlled whether or not she got her shoe line approved, or in fact whether she even had a job. He bullied her, knowing she grew up a victim of bullying and had a history of mental illness, and ridiculed Aly's dead mother in front of her. There was a major power imbalance in Aly's relationship with Raya - both personally and professionally - which made it very hard for her to "simply say no" to them.

We never saw Maya actually being a victim of society's hate - on the contrary, she was accepted by virtually everyone on screen more or less instantly (except for Julius, who was basically portrayed as a grumpy old man, and Aly, who was portrayed as a lunatic whose legitimate dislike for her bullies was rewritten as irrational prejudice). We never saw Maya go through any major suffering or loss, or overcome anything, it was all supposed to have happened off screen years ago - contrary to everything we thought we knew about her backstory. And that rewrite created even more questionable things about her - like how could she give up a child for adoption that wasn't even hers to begin with, and then come back intending to claim that child as her own, and take the little girl away from the only family she had ever known?

• Xyla
            Xyla commented
            Editing a comment
            Exactly, AnnMagda--and I would add that they didn't just ask Aly to "fetch" ice cream. They had her bring them post-coital ice cream while they were still in bed, knowing how much that would upset her, and then they laughed as her discomfort. That's cruel. Not only did they treat her like a servant and expect her to bring them ice cream they could have gotten up and gotten dressed and got themselves but they did so in order to delight in how much it would upset her to see them in bed together. Rick was supposed to look after Aly. Instead, he deliberately humiliated her for his and Maya's amusement.

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
        Working...
        X