Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

the first B&B episode replay- did u enjoy it more that first time or now?

Collapse

Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Teaday13
    Contract Poster
    • May 2019

the first B&B episode replay- did u enjoy it more that first time or now?

believe I enjoyed it more the first time. this time did not get the same thrill as I did back then. the episode seemed overly set up to me this time and the acting got much better in the later episodes. I could understand why KKL's dog was yawning at the end.
  • joncharmed93
    Contract Poster
    • Apr 2012

I loved it, there was so much going on. I forgot about Brooke being attacked and also that Brooke was once poor living on the other side of the tracks.

It's kinda funny saying Ridge and Caroline knowing that Ridge goes with her granddaughter later.

Bills father was a very tough man, wish Bill Jr would be more like his father these days.

Comment

• Batgary
      Batgary commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm not sure who you are taking about when you said her granddaughter. Do you mean Bill's father?

• Ella Munroe
      Ella Munroe commented
      Editing a comment
      Her *niece* not her granddaghter. Caroline never had any kids.

• joncharmed93
      joncharmed93 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes I meant her niece Caroline. Lol
  • Chatty Cakes
    Recurring Poster
    • Mar 2020

I enjoyed the episode. The first Thorne was so handsome and Ridge was a bit of a jerk back then.

Comment

• Teaday13
      Teaday13 commented
      Editing a comment
      agree Thorne was very handsome and Ridge was really a jerk
  • Xyla
    Aspiring soap scribe
    • Mar 2012

Just a few thoughts:
    1)I agree with those that say the acting was a bit shaky in some scenes, due, I'm sure, to people playing characters for the first time and some actors having less experience at the time. No shame in that, however. Everyone has to start somewhere.
    2)Seemed kind of funny that the one member of the core four missing was Stephanie. I don't have the clear memories some have of this episode, so I didn't recall that she wasn't involved.
    3)The dynamic between Thorne and Ridge--and Ridge and Eric, for that matter--was interesting and we could use that kind of thing again. If not with Ridge/Eric/Thorne (since Thorne isn't around, then with Ridge/Eric/Thomas or Liam/Bill/Wyatt or Steffy/Ridge/Eric or Steffy/Ridge/Eric/Thomas (in any combination).
    4)The scene involving Brooke, Andy, and Brooke being attacked seemed way dated in the way it was handled and Brooke and Andy were positively awkward with one another. If I didn't know they were dating, I would have thought he was just a childhood friend or neighbor or something.
    5)Whoever did Katie's make-up really overdid the acne. Not that people can't have bad acne, but it looked like growths or something when her face was in close-up.
    6)Eric's little speech to Ridge about what made a woman sexy and who constituted their primary market was spot on--too bad Eric doesn't seem to remember that so much now.
    7)Did appreciate how much they packed into that first episode in terms of trying to set up relationships and characters. Hard to do that much in a 19 minute pilot and have any of it come off well--and yes, some of it didn't really work. But you could at least see some potential there.

Comment

• Xyla
      Xyla commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, and it was nice to see more than one character highlighted, too.

• Sharkswin
      Sharkswin commented
      Editing a comment
      The guy talking to Brooke on this first episode is Dave.

Andy is the rapist that Stephanie told him where Brooke's spare key was and he went into Brooke's house and raped her..this happened years later.

• Emerald Greens
      Emerald Greens commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah Dave was Brooke’s fiancé also a detective.

First episode reminds me of why I kind of liked Eric early on. Ridge was vulgar, tacky and arrogant.
  • Betsey
    Executive Poster
    • Aug 2012

I was so looking forward to it today just as I was so looking forward to it back in 1987 when it premiered.

I was a teenager and I was so excited to be able to watch a soap from day one because all of them had already been on so long. I could be like my grandmother with Y&R and ATWT except my "day one soap" would be "B&B"

I started out today loving reminiscing and loved seeing the "working class" Logans from the Valley and the hustle and bustle with Eric, Ridge and Thorne behind the scenes of a fashion show but then of course got super depressed because that was when all was right with the world and it didn't feel like we're all literally gonna be blown up any day now nothing to do with B&B, just feeling ridiculously overwhelmed by the times

Comment

• TunerEyes
      Soap Addict
      • Dec 2014

I watched it last year (maybe?) when CBS put it up along with other subsequent episodes from the early season. I loved Carolyn and seeing Dollar Bill’s dad. Ridge was a horrible person even back then. Treated his parents horribly and did the same with poor, beautiful Carolyn. Eric and Stephanie should have kicked him out of the biz. Learning about Brooke’s family life back then was interesting.

I think the episode still holds up pretty well. And of course helps that a number of the actors are still with the show and so are the characters.

Comment

• jodyb22
        Soap Addict
        • Sep 2009

It's amazing how time has played tricks on my memory. I don't recall Brooke being attacked and almost raped in the first episode. That was a bit jarring. In my mind the Forrester cocktail party by the pool was in the first episode when Brooke and Ridge first met. I guess that happened later on during that first week of episodes.

I do however remember the backstage point of view of the fashion show though. I love how it introduced the audience to the high paced, frenetic energy of the show. It was such a fun opening and welcome for the fans at that time. Broooke's storyline was a counterbalance with the heavy drama of soaps. That one episode was really well done and set the tone for the 30 + years to follow.

Also how interesting to hear Ridge talk about his need to be turned on and to want to add sex appeal when the woman he was in love with was the very epitome of the opposite of that.
        I only remember Caroline as so straight laced and buttoned up but this reminded me of just how uptight she was.

Comment

• CattiPatti
          CattiPatti commented
          Editing a comment
          Ridge was no doubt the ultimate womanizer, but it is interesting that at least within the first 10 years (if not longer) he prefered to marry and be more serious with the more conservative type over the easy type! He chose Caroline and Taylor over Brooke early on! It had taken Ridge forever to finally commit to Brooke his so called "Destiny"! Both Caroline and Taylor deserved better than Ridge!
          Last edited by CattiPatti; June 8, 2020, 07:27 PM.
      • soapgirl9
        Scriptwriter
        • Aug 2009

Did Ridge seriously tell Caroline they would get married just so he could have sex with her? That's how it seemed.... I was not alive when this episode aired, but have watched it on YouTube before. It was cool to watch it on TV though. Poor Brooke!

Comment

• B-Hold
          B-Hold commented
          Editing a comment
          jodyb22 - Caroline wasn't a "prude" she set a standard for herself. Nothing wrong with that. (A woman has a absolutely right to determine when, where and with whom.) And good for Caroline for not having sex with Ridge Forester who was dating other woman at the time (this was early AIDS era).
          Last edited by B-Hold; June 8, 2020, 05:51 PM.

• soapgirl9
          soapgirl9 commented
          Editing a comment
          That whole concept of "don't buy the cow when you can get the milk for free". So old-fashioned.

• prim
          prim commented
          Editing a comment
          Ridge definitely seem to propose to Caroline just to have sex with her, but he also I believe was doing it to spite her father
      • viennagirl
        I Let My Evil Twin Post For Me
        • Aug 2011

That first year had quite some violence - and the kind that wasn't caused by any of the main characters but unrelated strangers (not the violence we have now with Ridge and Bill going at each other).

the first episode had Brooke's almost rape:
        -> and Brooke then went with Dave to the police station to look at pictures of criminals and to try to identify her attackers, Brooke later willing to play bait for the police to catch the criminals because Brooke wanted them caught so that neither Katie nor Donna could be assaulted by the rapists.

______

Brooke got away.
        But that first year also had Caroline later ended up being raped.
        And Caroline got to the rape counselor, made her report at the police so that her rapist would be arrested and a judge would sentence him for his crime.....

and in that first year we also had the nonsexual but also violent attack against the Logan grandmother.
        The grandmother Logan got attacked at her home and got hurt by bunglers.

Comment

• sonyab1974
          Aspiring soap scribe
          • Jan 2007

I don’t watch this soap except for the last 5 minutes. I watched the pilot today and I loved it!!!!!!! I was curious and I wanted to be supportive. We soap fans have to stick together!! ❤️❤️ I have a question. Why is this only a half an hour after all these years? It should be an hour!!!

Comment

• jodyb22
            jodyb22 commented
            Editing a comment
            It had taken over the time slot of the soap Capitol which was also a half hour. I have no idea if that's the reason why but I always personally kinda liked that B&B was only 30 minutes.
        • Emerald Greens
          Aspiring soap scribe
          • Feb 2006

Looking back thirty years I wonder if a character like Ridge would fly as a main character now . He was so crass and full of himself.

Thorne was diplomatic but stronger than he became in later years.

This episode reminded me of why I liked Eric very early on.

I kind of miss Dave. Brooke was more normal until she became interested in Ridge.

I didn’t remember Caroline and Ridge like that from the start . The dynamic between them seems very dated . Kind of Harlequin romance type. I don’t mean that Caroline wouldn’t sleep with Ridge but that she would put up with him and his attitude.

Comment

• soapgirl9
            soapgirl9 commented
            Editing a comment
            He seemed very fixated on sex in that episode. He was even asking Thorne if he thought Eric had slept with that woman (I think he said her name was Margot). I don't know about anyone else, but I've definitely never asked my brother if he thought my dad had sex with someone who wasn't our mom..

• Emerald Greens
            Emerald Greens commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes it’s Margo she was a main character for years. Her brother was Jake who has had occasional appearances in more recent years.

Ridge was tacky and vulgar it was a very off putting remark.
        • sonyab1974
          Aspiring soap scribe
          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by TunerEyes View Post
          I watched it last year (maybe?) when CBS put it up along with other subsequent episodes from the early season. I loved Carolyn and seeing Dollar Bill’s dad.
          Oh! That was Dollar Bill’s dad? I thought it was Dollar Bill himself!

Comment

• B-Hold
            Day Player
            • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Teaday13 View Post
            believe I enjoyed it more the first time. this time did not get the same thrill as I did back then. the episode seemed overly set up to me this time and the acting got much better in the later episodes. I could understand why KKL's dog was yawning at the end.
            I didn't enjoy it was much. I guess I didn't realize back then what a utter jerk Ridge was to everyone. Also Stephanie wasnl't on that episodes which now strikes be as really strange since she was so central to B&B and she also was friends with Bill Sr (as well as being the mother to Thorne and Ridge and wife to Eric).

Comment

• soapgirl9
              soapgirl9 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, it is glaring that Stephanie wasn't there. It almost seemed like Eric wasn't married at this time, even though he was.. Apparently Stephanie made her first appearance in the episode that aired March 24, 1987.

• viennagirl
              viennagirl commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, Stephanie was introduced in the second episode.

Stephanie's absence during the first episode had been intentional, because Eric in the second episode addressed the fact that she hadn't been at the fashion show, when they met at the Mansion.

During their first interaction (Eric-Stephanie) we already learned about the troubles in their marriage, one of them wondering why they even were still married since their marriage had gotten stale.
          • sonyab1974
            Aspiring soap scribe
            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by viennagirl View Post

______

But that first year also had Caroline later ended up being raped.
            And Caroline got to the rape counselor, made her report at the police so that her rapist would be arrested and a judge would sentence him for his crime.....

Whoa! So was she raped before or after marrying Ridge?

Comment

• soapgirl9
              soapgirl9 commented
              Editing a comment
              Something similar happened on Y&R. Drucilla had taken cold medicine, Malcolm got in bed with her. They had sex, but she thought she was having sex with Malcolm's brother, Neil. That I would say is also a situation that was rape.

• Teaday13
              Teaday13 commented
              Editing a comment
              soapgirl9 remember Nick and Sharon same too on Y&R. Grace Turner went into Nick's bed, he jumped in thinking it was Sharon. so this bed switching is used enough. hope not to see it again I wish

• soapgirl9
              soapgirl9 commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree about soaps not using this plot device in the future.. I get the writers want to create drama, but there are other ways to do it..
          • Carerra
            Senior Board Member
            • Nov 2018

It just reminded me of how much I always disliked Brooke

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
            Working...
            X