Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DEADLINE reports that B&B might resume filming in June

KKL said that they may start filming in June in response to a fan question on Instagram recently. Now Deadline reports that producers sent a memo to the cast and crew which stated that the show could tentatively resume production in June 2020. Safety protocols will need to be in place before that happens though.

https://deadline.com/2020/05/the-bol...ls-1202935552/

It seems a little early for them to be contemplating this; I know they have to be so worried about losing a significant portion of the audience if this goes on, though.

Maybe they'll be able to navigate the many hurdles this will require, but with LA County being in some form of stay at home/lock down mode for the next three months, from what I can tell...I don't know.

They'll have to be pretty creative as to what ends up onscreen if they do it this soon, so personally, I hope that viewers online give them some latitude and try not to mock the process...

Comment

• Ella Munroe
      Ella Munroe
      Board Regular
      Ella Munroe commented
      Editing a comment
      I wonder about the child actors. I can't see them being on set until there's a vaccine. The show will have to move away from the kid storylines which have dominated for two years.

To me, the key words in the original post are "may" and "could," which suggest that this is still in the idea stage and might not actually happen.

I have mixed thoughts on the subject. On one hand, I don't want to see a lengthy delay that will cause the show to lose a huge portion of the audience. On the other hand, I don't want them to take unnecessary risks by going back too soon.

Comment

• Ella Munroe
      Ella Munroe
      Board Regular
      Ella Munroe commented
      Editing a comment
      It's in the planning stage. Preparations are being put forth to ensure the safety of all involved. These safety protocols need to meet the requirements of the Unions (SAG etc), the Studio (Television City), the City of LA and the State of California. The lockdown may be in place until August, but exceptions can be made for key industries.
      For better of worse, productions are starting back up in Hollywood and beyond. The Australian soap Home and Away returns to filming end of May and the British soap EastEnders resumes filming in June. Apparently, they'll have to adhere to social distancing and the actors will have to do their own hair and makeup

quoting from the Deadline article

Sources stressed that this is just a projected start date and, while the producers are making preparations, the situation remains fluid.

Comment

• Ella Munroe
      Ella Munroe
      Board Regular
      Ella Munroe commented
      Editing a comment
      Nothing is set in stone as of yet but preparations *are* underway. The June date is subject to approval by stakeholders. What this all basically means is that they are in negotiations with the unions, the city and the state.

They will need regular testing

Comment

I feel like June is too early for them to flim new episodes. I want the cast and crew to stay safe.

Comment

There are some prime time shows that have managed to pull together an episode done at-a-distance, so to speak, but that would be so much harder for a soap, for no other reason than that they need to have five new episodes a week, not one a week. Add to that that soaps typically have characters working together in very close quarters, so to speak, and it becomes more complicated. We also don't know (nor should we) which actors might have underlying conditions that would make them more susceptible and who really should be extra cautious, which could throw a wrench into things (anyone of any age could have lung issues like asthma, for instance).

I agree that the safety and health of the cast should come first, period. I realize they may be concerned about the economic health of their workplace (ie. whether soaps can survive a long layoff), but I don't want nor need anyone getting seriously ill, or worse, for my entertainment.

Comment

I know that Neighbours in Australia (Ashleigh Brewer was on this show before B&B) plans to go back into production by having characters talk from a six foot distance and the male actors not get their makeup done while the female ones only getting one round. There was an article on here about it. That said, idk how Bold would be able to implore this idea... Half the show is large groups gathering for weddings or to talk about Liam or people having sex/ passionately kissing one another. LA is going to be under lock down until July.

The shows are going to have no choice but to make sacrifices to continue to exist but lets be real they are going to have to change things up. Lope is going to have to remain a happy couple because Liam can't go and kiss Steffy right now. Ridge and Bill will have to exchange insults from across the room from one another without calling things out. Which, idk if TK will even be available. Doesn't he live on the East Coast? I can't imagine his wife is going to want him away while this is going on. The child actors definitely won't be used. So, definitely no Kelly and Beth as they are extremely young and my guess is Douglas and Will are going off to boarding school now...

Comment

• youngandfan
            youngandfan
            Senior Board Member
            youngandfan commented
            Editing a comment
            I suppose Liam and Steffy could be texting with one another.

• Ella Munroe
            Ella Munroe
            Board Regular
            Ella Munroe commented
            Editing a comment
            It could be any number of things. The first time Steffy and Liam divorced, it was over Bill's manipulation (making Steffy think she had a dangerous blood clot) and Liam feeling that he owed Hope because of the way they were separated. I remember Wyatt dumping Sally because she kept Thomas's secret for a couple of days. Then he dumped Flo after the baby switch reveal happened. If the breakup has to be over a kiss, it can simply be implied kinda like when Bill put lipstick on a pillow to make it look like Steffy was still with him. That was to get Liam to leave Steffy and go back to Hope. Or they could use old footage of a kiss/sex scene. There's a lot with Steffy. Not so much with Hope because it's a new actress.

However, I think the main problem for Hope/Lope will be that their storylines have been too centered on the kids. If the kids can't be on set, then they have nothing. What do lope have apart from "Mommy Hope" and "we're a family"? They kept repeating the same scene in the cabin over and over again. The only place left for their story to go was for Thomas to come back for Douglas but the child actor may not be available now. They can't just carry on with the Thomas is obsessed with Hope stuff. It's stale at this point. Best for lope to be left on backburner (I know that won't happen though). Scott seemed anxious to get back to filming and I know that they're still getting scripts.

• bogylove
            bogylove
            I Let My Evil Twin Post For Me
            bogylove commented
            Editing a comment
            I think, given the amount of time that has passed with no new episodes that this would be a great time to pull off a reset...Ala Bobby Ewing and the dream that reset Dallas back in the day...I could go for it if it would erase this stupid Sally's fake illness s/l!!!

The first priority is for everyone to be safe.I do hope they can work out something that keeps everyone safe.Soaps were built on intimacy so it sure will be different when they do come back.

Comment

I don't see three different organization nor the Governor approving it anytime soon. They had a major spike when they just opened the beaches for a few days outside of LA. Until it can get to a number that is manageable I don't see this happening. I can see Bell and other's trying to push for it but it'll be hard. Plus it's not possible cause the studio isn't big enough unless they fork over more money to use way way way more space to even practice social distancing.

Comment

It would be great if they were allowed to start filming in June.

Comment

I honestly think it will be fine. Soaps aren't like the big primetime shows, the sets are small and limited. They control what sets are who during the day of filming. I can see outside location shoots being cut like outside the cliff Josie for Forrester Creations, but I don't think it would be too difficult to keep the sets clean and to control what crew is on staff and and how many are on set in a given day.

My question is will it pick up from where it left off or will it jump time a little bit to be current along where we are at.

Comment

I actually got the feeling that Wyatt and Bill were not in the same room during their last scene together. One of them was sitting on a couch and one was standing and it just struck me that they were never really shown in he same frame. They could really film a lot like that and keep real interactions to a minimum. They might also be able to pull more intimate scenes from old footage.

Comment

We want them to be safe. But if they did start in June, how long would it take for the shows to be coming our way?

Comment

I understand they would like to start filming in June but I do not think they will. Either way, it probably means the end of kids storylines for now. I doubt toddlers are allowed on set. You cannot practice social distancing with them. Bell will finally have to come up with something new. No romances either. So nothing else left than maybe a business storyline or a whodunnit. It will be interesting to see which soaps survive this.

Comment

• NuttyAboutSoaps
                        NuttyAboutSoaps
                        Senior Board Member
                        NuttyAboutSoaps commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Ironically, the lowest rated soap, which is Days, is in the best position to survive because it is the only one that will air fresh episodes through September.

For once, their block taping approach has paid off.

• LnF
                        LnF
                        Board Regular
                        LnF commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It's not just certain actors like kids can't come on but what about the ones with preexisting conditions, it'll be dumb for them to come back and risk a lot. If you have kids it might not be safe for you to do so unless you have a producer like Tyler Perry where he has apartments for his actors to be in if they need to be distant from family. The set up has to be huge to do something like this and without a lot of cash in hand it can't be done.

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X