Ad Below Title

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Stephanie blackmailed brooke

Anyone remember this sl? I think it went on from 1988-1989..

upon hiring a private eye to follow eric and after ordering his college year brook, stephanie deduced that eric was cheating on her..and she learned that brooke was totally supporting the affair behind she and ridge's back..
    brooke then caved when stephanie confronted her..
    stephanie herself said that ridge would leave brooke if she knew about brooke's role in beth and eric's affair..she used brooke's whorish encouragement of her mother's affair as blackmail for over a year! lol
    so many people say brooke and ridge were meant to be, but brooke was prepared to hide her secret from ridge, just like taylor who hid big bear, just so she could have ridge..

this is yet another reason why I dont care for the brooke character..she knew ridge was depressed about his parents marriage woes, and kept her mother's dirty little secret the whole time..

who remembers this sl? and if so what are ur thoughts?

and if its ur fist time learning of it, please share ur thoughts too..

My memory of that storyline is fuzzy, but it doesn't change much for me and my support of Brooke. Eric and Stephanie's relationship was full of affairs on Eric's part. Eric supposedly had a history of sleeping with models, just like Ridge did. This has nothing to do with whether or not Ridge and Brooke were meant to be. Ridge and Brooke have done horrible things to each other over the years, which is par for the course, IMO. Seems to me like Stephanie was able to look the other way on Eric's affairs, but once it became Beth, Brooke, or Donna, then all bets were off, which is to be expected since Eric really did want to be with Beth and ultimately chose Stephanie because of Ridge (who wasn't his).

Someone will say that Massimo was a retcon, but it proves the point that on this show, the past doesn't necessarily inform the present. In many cases, the past is fully disconnected from the present because the storyline will be altered to fit whatever the current narrative is.

Comment

• BnbYnr90
      BnbYnr90 commented
      Editing a comment
      beth and eric's affair does relate to bridge, because she hid it from him for long time..even after he proposed..and I could be wrong, but I think it was believed that she got pregnant so that he wouldn't leave her should the secret get out..

also, theres a scene where eric claims he never cheated on stephanie and she claims it was likewise..this is right before he began to see beth..

so going by that notion he only cheated with beth, brooke, lauren and donna..

however, I have heard claims about models, so perhaps it was another rewrite from bell..

I guess that goes to my point about how history is abused/changed on this show. My memory is of them referencing his unhappiness from the beginning, when he discussed that there was a "malaise" in their relationship. He said that their marriage had gone stale. He said he was unhappy and the first thing Stephanie did was accuse him of sleeping with his assistant. So if there was a problem, it existed before Brooke and Brooke isn't responsible to their son to tell him about their issues. How can one be angry with Brooke for keeping it from Ridge, when neither Stephanie nor Eric told Ridge either? These issues pre-dated Brooke, and yes, there have been references to Eric sleeping with models in the past too. It's really hard to discuss the past when it changes so often on this show.

Comment

• maryg
      maryg commented
      Editing a comment
      The last few years spent with Stephanie, Eric told her that he regretted all of the relationships he had except the one he had with her. He begged her to forgive him for all the hurt he caused her and said if he could go back in time, none of the relationships would have happened And you are right, history gets changed on this show every day.

I totally remember that SL...
    Brooke sided with Stephanie against her own mother ...
    She supported her parents reunion ONLY to keep a chance with Ridge ....
    She knew first hand how Beth wasted her life and ruined her marriage pining for Eric
    But Brooke only cared about herself ....

Comment

• BnbYnr90
      BnbYnr90 commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks, this is exactly what I remember as well..she only cared for herself and once again resorted to secrets and schemes to keep ridge..and all the while ridge was having an emotional affair with caroline..

Originally posted by thecourt99 View Post
    I guess that goes to my point about how history is abused/changed on this show. My memory is of them referencing his unhappiness from the beginning, when he discussed that there was a "malaise" in their relationship. He said that their marriage had gone stale. He said he was unhappy and the first thing Stephanie did was accuse him of sleeping with his assistant. So if there was a problem, it existed before Brooke and Brooke isn't responsible to their son to tell him about their issues. How can one be angry with Brooke for keeping it from Ridge, when neither Stephanie nor Eric told Ridge either? These issues pre-dated Brooke, and yes, there have been references to Eric sleeping with models in the past too. It's really hard to discuss the past when it changes so often on this show.
    yes these issues predated brooke, but brooke was very complicit in having her mother destroy the marriage of ridge's parents..

she pretty much felt that ridge would leave her if he found out hence her desire to hide it..and hiding it the whole time was a betrayal..ridge used to confide in her about stic's problems, and she just stood silent knowing full well that beth stood in between a reconciliation between his parents..

Comment

So Beth stood in the middle of a reconciliation, and not Eric? Wasn't Eric the one that made a choice not to reconcile with his wife? Given Eric's history (LOL), I would imagine that Beth or not, it would still be Eric looking for someone to entertain him.

For what it's worth, I'm not a Bridge fan, but I don't understand how Brooke keeping this from Ridge impacts how their relationship is seen today. They've both been untrustworthy and their love story has been rewritten so much it's just hard to keep up.

Comment

• thecourt99
        thecourt99 commented
        Editing a comment
        I get it, but Ridge's reaction to Taylor keeping the secret about James wasn't really about James. It was about the fact that Ridge expected more from Taylor. He saw Taylor and Brooke differently. He had put Taylor on a pedestal and placed standards on her that no one could maintain. This happened when the writing was starting to change in Brooke's favor as it relates to Ridge. It had nothing to do with the past and no amount of pointing out Brooke's issues had an impact on that. The writers just used that as an excuse to break them up again. It was never meant to be logical nor was it meant to build on history because if so, Ridge wouldn't have left Taylor. That was the history. He saw Brooke as a good time, a distraction. He never left Taylor for Brooke. Then the writing changed.

As far as Eric and Stephanie, I will agree to disagree. I think if Beth weren't there, he would have found someone else.

• viennagirl
        viennagirl commented
        Editing a comment
        I see it like thecourt99.

Beth wasn't the reason or Stephanie and Eric's issues. Even in the first episodes Eric and his wife talked about how they both had become unhappy. We had Stephanie questioning Eric if they were only still married because of their children. They have talked several times about divorce in these first years (and Stephanie always tried to keep Eric from divorcing her).

But even when Eric's relationship with Beth had ended and Brooke and Eric got divorced, Eric turned again to someone else - Sheila - and married her.
        And one time we even had Eric dating Taylor and Taylor even considering to give them a real chance - but then Stephanie had ended up back with Eric (and in his bed - Taylor walking into the bedroom and leaving quickly when she realized that they are back together).

• BnbYnr90
        BnbYnr90 commented
        Editing a comment
        im not solely blaming beth..I just credit her as the woman who helped make the problems worse..
        stic could have found their way back to each other if another woman hadn't been in the picture..
        any woman, not just beth could have caused them to further separate..

and we definitely agree thecourt99 the break up over james, totally ignored history and was just used as an excuse..

I think Brooke's actions in this storyline was very minor compared to all of Brooke's other "secrets" and schemes. What about telling Ridge she was pregnant when she was not in an effort to prevent Taylor from telling Ridge that he was Thomas' father? (I do know it was never absolutely shown that she was telling a lie, but Brooke moved up the wedding an hour to keep Taylor from showing up to tell Ridge and said that Taylor gave her no choice. But Taylor did give her a choice. Taylor told her that all she had to do was provide proof from her doctor that she was pregnant, but instead Brooke moved up the wedding and said she had a miscarriage on her honeymoon). And Brooke knew Taylor was having Ridge's baby and hid the truth in order to get Ridge. How are either of those secrets different from Taylors? And what about hiding the secret that she had sex with Hope's boyfriend? Then, there were all of her schemes and bribes, not to mention the seductions.

Comment

Yep that was classic Bell Sr writing there. Then Brooke ended up married to the "love of her Mama's life" and had children. Well so did Donna for that matter. I want to know what happened to the cop that was Brooke's original destiny of fiance before Ridge was ever in the picture.

Comment

Originally posted by huntingh View Post
          Yep that was classic Bell Sr writing there. Then Brooke ended up married to the "love of her Mama's life" and had children. Well so did Donna for that matter. I want to know what happened to the cop that was Brooke's original destiny of fiance before Ridge was ever in the picture.
          i have often thought about him too, his name was Dave.

Comment

I think things changed once Joanna Johnson chose to leave the show the first time. Caroline was always meant to be Ridge's destiny/main love interest with Brooke as the spoiler (KKL initially auditioned for Caroline but was cast as Brooke). Ridge was always shown to choose Caroline when given a choice. He only committed to Brooke when Caroline pushed him away and married Thorne. Brooke was very insecure at this time and knew she was second best. I remember her hiding the letter that Ridge had written to Caroline telling her he still loved her and wanted to be with her. She only gave it to Caroline on the day of her wedding to Thorne. Caroline then marries Thorne but wants to be with Ridge. Brooke and Thorne were scheming to keep them apart the whole time. They would have meltdowns when they heard that Caroline and Ridge were alone together.
            Once Joanna Johnson left, I guess Brooke became the leading lady. However, Bell Sr really liked Hunter Tylo and Taylor as a character so he made sure that Ridge and Taylor stayed together for years and had a real family. They had some good years together.

Comment

• ILoveBizzie
              ILoveBizzie commented
              Editing a comment
              Caroline was meant to be a temporary character per the 10th anniversary book, but Bell liked her so kept her.

Originally posted by Ella Munroe View Post
            I think things changed once Joanna Johnson chose to leave the show the first time. Caroline was always meant to be Ridge's destiny/main love interest with Brooke as the spoiler (KKL initially auditioned for Caroline but was cast as Brooke). Ridge was always shown to choose Caroline when given a choice. He only committed to Brooke when Caroline pushed him away and married Thorne. Brooke was very insecure at this time and knew she was second best. I remember her hiding the letter that Ridge had written to Caroline telling her he still loved her and wanted to be with her. She only gave it to Caroline on the day of her wedding to Thorne. Caroline then marries Thorne but wants to be with Ridge. Brooke and Thorne were scheming to keep them apart the whole time. They would have meltdowns when they heard that Caroline and Ridge were alone together.
            Once Joanna Johnson left, I guess Brooke became the leading lady. However, Bell Sr really liked Hunter Tylo and Taylor as a character so he made sure that Ridge and Taylor stayed together for years and had a real family. They had some good years together.

ITA! with the entire post..very accurate and concise summary..

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
            Working...
            X