Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gwen was hated from the beginning.

I never understood why. I understand why she didn't have a huge fanbase, her character was actually kind of boring at first. She was also insecure and a little whiny. Still, she wasn't unkind to Theresa. And Theresa hated her before she even met her. She was rightfully angry when she found out that Theresa had been after Ethan from day one. She has every reason under the sun to hate Theresa. (It did bother me that she didn't seem to be half as angry with Ethan, but she loved the guy since they were kids.) Was it because people could not stand to see the rich girl win, even though the poor girl was playing dirty? Even Kay and Beth seemed to get more of a reprieve from fans before Gwen did.

Originally posted by Ohnoyoudidnot View Post
    I never understood why. I understand why she didn't have a huge fanbase, her character was actually kind of boring at first. She was also insecure and a little whiny. Still, she wasn't unkind to Theresa. And Theresa hated her before she even met her. She was rightfully angry when she found out that Theresa had been after Ethan from day one. She has every reason under the sun to hate Theresa. (It did bother me that she didn't seem to be half as angry with Ethan, but she loved the guy since they were kids.) Was it because people could not stand to see the rich girl win, even though the poor girl was playing dirty? Even Kay and Beth seemed to get more of a reprieve from fans before Gwen did.
    I always thought that too Gwen wasn't a bad person at first. And she did have a right to be angry at Theresa.

Comment

Yes it was Theresa that started all this by pretending to be Gwen's friend so she could get close to Ethan. Gwen was kind to Theresa in the beginning.

Comment

In some ways, I think Gwen hid her prejudices, after all Rebecca was her mom. But, Theresa was wrong to fake her friendship.

Comment

• Ohnoyoudidnot
          Ohnoyoudidnot commented
          Editing a comment
          I remember Gwen making a few distasteful remarks, but it was usually after she found out Theresa had stabbed her in the back. Rebecca and even Ivy were horrible. Heck, Ivy even referred to little Ethan as a "Mongrel spawn".

Gwen was my favorite character and I hated Theresa and Ethan for how they treated her. I hated the writing for her. It actually made me stop watching this soap.

Comment

• Ohnoyoudidnot
          Ohnoyoudidnot commented
          Editing a comment
          Gwen was my favorite character too. She was butchered until she was this ridiculous, cartoonish villain to make Theresa look like a saint in comparison. I wasn't buying it, and I stopped watching the show.

I agree Gwen was written as more of a doormat. She should have dumped Ethan and moved on. She deserved better.

Comment

Is the actress still performing? I recall she is Susan Lucci's daughter. I remember when both of them appeared on Martha Stewart's show years ago.

Comment

• SharikaC
            SharikaC commented
            Editing a comment
            I believe Liza Huber quit acting when Passions ended. Figured she's busy raising her kids. Think she has four and one has special needs.

Originally posted by WalnutGirl View Post
          Is the actress still performing? I recall she is Susan Lucci's daughter. I remember when both of them appeared on Martha Stewart's show years ago.
          Liza is still running her company Sage spoonfuls. Natalie Zea is still in the business, and does a Passions for life podcast with Travis Schuldt.

Comment

• WalnutGirl
            WalnutGirl commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the I do. I did not know Liza had another career.

I am Theresa and Ethan fan but I always felt that after Gwen came back after Liza's maternity leave, there was something wrong with Gwen. Theresa and Gwen hated each other and fought a lot, yes but after she came back, there was a hardness that hadn't been there when she left. She never even seemed to care that Juanita killing Pilar's family would have included Jane, who no matter how I felt about Gwen, I do believe she did love.

Comment

I liked Gwen. It was Theresa I wasn't too fond of. Anyway, I wondered if some hated Gwen because she was played by Susan Lucci's daughter? Liza Huber can't help who she's related to. Some probably hated La Lucci because she was considered the Queen of Daytime.

Comment

Originally posted by JLynn83 View Post
              I am Theresa and Ethan fan but I always felt that after Gwen came back after Liza's maternity leave, there was something wrong with Gwen. Theresa and Gwen hated each other and fought a lot, yes but after she came back, there was a hardness that hadn't been there when she left. She never even seemed to care that Juanita killing Pilar's family would have included Jane, who no matter how I felt about Gwen, I do believe she did love.
              Even though I didn't think Gwen should have ever had custody of either one of Theresa's children (grief counseling would have been a better option, different topic) I believe that she loved both of them. They destroyed her character in such a way that she didn't even seem to love her own biological child. I had to stop watching, and kept up with recaps.

Comment

Originally posted by SharikaC View Post
                I liked Gwen. It was Theresa I wasn't too fond of. Anyway, I wondered if some hated Gwen because she was played by Susan Lucci's daughter? Liza Huber can't help who she's related to. Some probably hated La Lucci because she was considered the Queen of Daytime.
                That could have definitely been a part of it.

Comment

I did not like how Gwen and Julian were each dumped on. True Julian was not a saint but it got tiresome that he get assaulted by TC on a regular basis.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronson View Post
                    I did not like how Gwen and Julian were each dumped on. True Julian was not a saint but it got tiresome that he get assaulted by TC on a regular basis.
                    I totally agree about Julian. TC was an abusive jerk that didn't know when to stop.

As for Gwen, I think her being that dumped on in the end was to make up for the fact that the ET fanbase didn't get any real pay off until the show came to the end.

Comment

The show seemed to have a particularily hard time with balance. One day someone would be sympathetic, the next they'd be bordering on mustache-twirling evil. There a lot of shades of gray in the world but considering how slowly time passed in Harmony, people went through a dozen personalities in a single "day"

I was never fully sure if TC was supposed a good person or not, he was Sam's best friend which would be seem to indicate yes but he was also a fairly violent, rigid *******. With Gwen, up until a certain point, she always semed to be a mostly good person stuck in a toxic cycle she couldn't make herself walk away from but then suddenly she was pretty much laughing maniacally while throwing babies of the train tracks with one hand while tossing puppies into the river with the other. And it started at one of the points in the story that it made the least sense

Comment

• Ohnoyoudidnot
                        Ohnoyoudidnot commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You are so right, especially about Gwen. She made this transformation into the cartoon villain AFTER she finally had a child of her own and freed herself from a horrible marriage (finally) I think Liza Huber deserved better than that.

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X