Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

CLOUDFARE Security Message

Over the past few days you may have received a "Checking if the site connection is secure" message when accessing the site. This is perfectly normal and not cause for alarm.

This message indicates that the server is confirming that the SSL (the "s" that you see in the https before web addresses) security is, in fact, secure. This is not some sort of advertisement and it is not some sort of nefarious hacking.

Cloudfare, which is a provide of web hosting and security, has recently added this layer of security on the Soap Central message boards platform as an added layer of security.

The message may occur any time that your browser makes a new connection to the boards. The message may also stop appearing at any time as the process is further integrated into the boards.
See more
See less

Forgotten friendships

Collapse

Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • momof3_angels
    Soap Addict
    • Feb 2008

Forgotten friendships

I have been watching some storylines from the good old days of OLTL. It made me think about forgotten relationships and wondering what some of your favorite relationships that were forgotten?

For me - My favorite character was always Cassie - I started watching regularly when I could after school/during school breaks in 1984 (before that only watched when I was with Grandma), but really grew to like her around her 18th birthday when she burnt a check for $1M in front of all Dorian's guests at her 18th birthday party - and then I absolutely loved her romance with Rob. Anyhow - while rewatching - I have been mostly focused on the Cassie stories that I have and it always surprises me to see how some friendships were ignored in the later years.

For one - Cassie and Wanda - I don't have many episodes of the original Cassie - but the few that I do have show that Wanda was one of the first character's who befriended Cassie before Cassie revealed her identity to Dorian/Herb. Other characters watched out for her in those early days - but Wanda was said to have offered Cassie some free meals, and she even took Cassie to Ina's boarding house to look at a room for Cassie to rent. Cassie was with Meg when she found out that her grandmother died, but Meg called Wanda to tell her. Wanda took Cassie back to restaurant to support her, and told Herb that Cassie's grandma had died. He offered to loan Cassie money to fly out for her grandmother's funeral. When Cassie turned down the offer, Wanda is the one who convinced her to accept. Before leaving for the airport - Cassie stopped by to see Wanda and give her a poem she wrote to her "friend" Wanda. I didn't get to see more that early Cassie/Wanda relationship (or at least - don't remember) - but Ava Haddad and Holly Gagnier's Cassies were still pretty close with Wanda. They often hung out at Wanda's and kept Wanda up to date on Cassie's life and Wanda was always giving her advice. When Laura Bonarigo took over - she shared scenes with Wanda here and there - but their friendship was largely ignored. I don't even remember Wanda was at her wedding to Andrew, and definitely wasn't at the wedding to Kevin.

Also - Cassie was fairly close to Larry as Rob's stepfather, and then she was shown in many friendly scenes with him demonstrating their being somewhat close when HG was in the role. And they shared many scenes as co-sponsors for Melinda when she was released from the sanitarium. She even called him Larr-Bear a few times. But when LB took over - he was usually only in doctor mode around Cassie. I don't really remember any scenes of them that showed that they were actually friends beyond the patient/doctor relationship and the occasional extended family scenes such as weddings/funerals.

And HG's Cassie was good friends with Renee. She helped Renee try to prove that Renee wasn't the one who drugged Asa. And Renee was Cassie's biggest supporter when Rob married Joanna to protect her. They shared scenes together when LB took over - but were never really shown as actual friends having actual personal conversations, at least - not one on one.. In fact - I remember one scene where Viki and Renee were sitting together and Cassie interrupted and asked to speak with Viki alone about Bo. Yes - Viki had been the one to support her recently - but HG's Cassie would have included Renee - her good friend - in that discussion. That would have been the perfect time to remind the audience that they had been friends - but they ignored that friendship.

What were some of the relationships you loved in the earlier years that were seemingly forgotten or changed in the later years?
  • momof3_angels
    Soap Addict
    • Feb 2008

Continued because my previous attempted post was too long - so making this separate

And speaking of Viki and Clint - Cassie used to call Viki Aunt Viki and really admired her AND Clint. AH's Cassie was VERY close to them, even helped with the kids (yeah - when Cassie used to babysit Kevin/Joey lol) - but those connections weren't as obvious as the years passed. Yes - She still had a lot of moments of closeness with Viki, most especially when Cassie was with Bo and fighting with Dorian - but when VIki was with Sloan, it seemed that Viki was closer to Andrew and Sloan, and that her friendship with Cassie was more a result of her relationship with her minister and her lover/husband. And then of course during Cassie's divorce with Andrew - Viki totally stood by Andrew and was VERY standoffish with Cassie - and refused to welcome Cassie into Kevin's life for quite a while. As for Clint - he was mostly reduced to her sometimes boss and they hardly ever interacted on a personal level unless it involved Bo or Kevin. And with Kevin - he was often standoffish too which made no sense since he knew her since she was 15, and he didn't have the same fears about Cassie that VIki had. And Cassie once lived at Llanfair - you wouldn't know that by the writing later. Both in the house when Viki lived in the garage apartment and Dorian was married to Herb and lived in the big house, and then Cassie/Rob in the garage apartment herself after David/Jenny left Llanview - but even before that - Cassie was often visiting David there. Oh - and she was always being told that she can come by Llanfair to swim in the pool - even when David and Dorian didn't live on the property

And again - speaking of Viki and Clint and ASA - their relationship with Dorian changed drastically when Elain Princi took over the role and it continued to be very different when Robin returned. Watching 80's OLTL - I loved that yes - Dorian and the Buchanan's were adversaries, but they OFTEN still supported each other. That was less and less the case over the years. Dorian was more well rounded in tho 80's but in the 90's she was constantly scheming and backstabbing the Buchanans.​

Comment

• JLH
      Board Regular
      • Nov 2005

Wow you have a great memory! I'm currently re-watching 1994 OLTL. Wanda left the show earlier this year but I just don't recall if there was even a farewell moment between her and Cassie. I'm fairly sure there have been some moments when Larry showed special interest in/concern over Cassie (in 1994)--I can't recall the exact scenes or situations but it always did my heart good to hear it in his voice and see it in his face because I can still (vaguely) recall how close they had been over the years, especially in her youth.

Comment

• momof3_angels
        momof3_angels commented
        Editing a comment
        Not such a good memory - I have been re-watching some old stuff!

Yeah - Larry was there when she lost her baby and then he was around when she had her breakdown and then she saw him for follow up care to see when she can try for another baby - he is the one who told her she can't have more kids. Other than during medical crisis - you wouldn't know they were actually friends!

And No - I don't think Cassie was part of the goodbye for Wanda. Did Wanda even get a proper sendoff? I know Larry didn't.

I wish there were more episodes of OLTL with the first two Cassie's were on! She had great connections with most of OLTL - but then later they started writing characters with fewer other characters - it really was a shame to see so many relationships ignored as time passed.

There were a lot of friendships that just fizzled out. Another I found funny was AH's Cassie went to see her good friend "Sarah" when Sarah was first introduced. After that - they barely had any scenes EVER. Then the Mendorra story they were together for that - but that was it. Then when LB's Cassie got involved they talked like Cassie had been such good friends with Sarah. But it never really happened on screen other than Mendorra lol. And Mendorra lasted like - a month or two?
    • JaySherman
      I Let My Evil Twin Post For Me
      • Jun 2008

I recall when Elaine Princi's Dorian appeared back in Llanview and ran into Viki. Viki was very friendly with Dorian as if they were never adversaries. Then things over time started changing and Dorian hated Viki. It wasn't until later years that Viki, Clint and Dorian started having a civil "frenemies" relationship again.

Cassie had some interactions with the Viki and Clint but not much. First when she and Bo were to be married and they spent time visiting Llanfair after it was rebuilt. Viki even encouraged Cassie to reconcile with Dorian and have the wedding at Llanfair.

A few years later, probably due to her marriage to Andrew, both she and Andrew were at Llanfair with Viki around Christmastime. Herb came back to town to try and mend the relationship between her and Dorian.

I liked Laura as Cassie but didn't like a lot of the writing - Cassie was constantly at odds with Dorian and went through two mental breakdowns. Then she was dumped by JFP during her maternity leave.

In regards to Wanda and Larry, Wanda "kind of" got a send off as they established a new relationship for her on canvas then had them move way. The only one she really said goodbye to was Jason as I recall. And after she left, the writers didn't know what to do with Jason so he left soon after.

Larry just disappeared. I liked him and thought there was story potential but the writers kept coming up with different doctor characters to cover his role, pretending that's all Larry could ever be. I recall one scene when Jean Randolph first took over, Clint invited Larry to join him and the kids for lunch so "Viki" could rest. He said he would but when Clint and the kids were shown having lunch he wasn't there.

Comment

• momof3_angels
        momof3_angels commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes - she was fairly close to Viki during her Bo relationship. But with Andrew - it seemed like her relationship with Viki was more as Andrew's wife. Her preacher's wife and her future husband's daughter in law. They were together quite often - but as the "Carpenter" family instead of just Viki/Cassie.

Then they just sort of dropped their relationship. And Viki's reaction to Kevin/Cassie seemed out of character to me. She wasn't friendly towards Cassie at all for quite a while. Viki was all concerned about Andrew and gave very little thought to Cassie - and was only convinced that Cassie would hurt Kevin. That wasn't in Cassie's character at all. The writers definitely wanted to play up her instability even before JFP returned - but then JFP really tore the show apart.

Yeah - I loved Laura's Cassie - but didn't like that they wrote her so weepy and the "good little Rector's wife" All of the previous Cassie's were written as being much stronger. They even had Cassie faint twice during Dorian's trial for murdering Victor. I was glad when she got involved with Kevin - some of her own personality came back and she started having some fun.

Yeah - Larry and Wanda both should have had proper sendoffs. Speaking of Jason - he even got a farewell party at the Rectory with Cassie/Andrew/Marty/Kevin. .He also got a goodbye with Larry I think.

Elaine Princi - I though she was a good Dorian - but they always had her shrieking about one thing or another!
        Last edited by momof3_angels; November 2, 2023, 04:18 PM.
    • PANTISHA1
      Soap Addict
      • Dec 2004

I really loved Holly G as Cassie. Maybe it was the writing but she was a fav! Let’s not forget her Cassie was besties with MariLyn.

Comment

• momof3_angels
        momof3_angels commented
        Editing a comment
        YES! It was funny because they didn't really interact when Cassie was infiltrating Mitches cult - but when she returned to Llanview without Joy - MariLyn and her were very close. But it really surprised me to hear Renee refer to Cassie as HER best friend (after Lee died when she was helping Renee investigate Asa's drugging).

And HG wasn't my favorite Cassie - but I loved Cassie as a PI! After she divorced Bo and went to the Banner - she considered starting up another PI office - too bad that was scrapped and she became a stay at home rectors wife for too long! That is also why I liked when she went back tot he Banner - combining her writing with investigating... perfect fit and a great extension of AH's Cassie who was always getting into things trying to protect/help people she loves. Going to Vienna, infiltrating the cult...
        Last edited by momof3_angels; November 21, 2023, 03:37 PM.
    • momof3_angels
      Soap Addict
      • Feb 2008

LOL... this thread wasn't supposed to just be about Cassie - any other forgotten friendships you can come up with? Cassie's were just the ones that got me thinking...

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
      Working...
      X
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡