Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80's villains that should've been brought back

OLTL had the best villains in daytime. Especially in the 80s. I always had hope some of them would return to Llanview but most never did. Here are a few.

Tracy James and Stick: these two died in the secret room of Llanfair while mishandling a bomb they were setting to kill everyone that was partying above. But no death is ever official in soaps and those two were on the run and could've easily "faked their deaths"

Maria Roberts: she was killed in a scuffle with Tina when the poison she planned to use on Viki's earrings was accidentally poured on her. Again, no death is ever real in daytime!

Austin Buchanan: the evil nephew of Asa and cousin of Clint and Bo raped Sarah Gordon, was shot and buried in a shallow grave. He "rose from the grave" and continued to terrorize Llanview one last time before he was shot and set ablaze in his own bonfire. Would've been tough to say he survived that, but ya know...soaps. Not much point to bring him back though, as his main obsession was Sarah Gordon.

Ursula Blackwell: played by Jill Larson, who played Opal from All My Children. She was last seen in 1989 after breaking out of prison with Jamie and Elizabeth Sanders and terrorizing Tina and Cord one last time. She was sent back to Statesville and never seen again. Which brings me to my next one.

Jamie Sanders: he came back to terrorize Llanview several times between 1986 and 1989. He's the one who sent Tina over the waterfall in Argentina. He escaped prison and shot and blinded Clint in a fight. He then escaped prison again with Ursula and his grandmother, Elizabeth in 1989. He was caught and sent back to prison to never be seen again. This character was fun because he wasn't exactly evil but he would kill without hesitation if it served his purposes. I always thought this villain was underrated and should've returned at some point. His grandmother left town after being released from Statesville for saving Tina and Cord from Ursula. She was supposedly terminally ill. The actress who played her died I believe in 1992.

Dr. Ivan Kipling: he survived being eaten by crocodiles and returned with bionic fingers in 1985. However, his storyline was pretty brief and inconsequential and he left town to never be seen again. He was mostly fixated on Larry Wolek and Karen Wolek but did have a late fascination with Cassie.

Leo Cromwell: an archaeologist who went mad over the gold in Eterna. He died from a long fall from a cliff...thingy...in Eterna. He also helped perpetuate the lie that Christine Cromwell was Viki's lost daughter when it was in fact Megan Gordon. The actor who played this guy was sooo hilariously over the top in Eterna. I actually enjoyed it lol. But not really sure how he would fit back into the show at any point after that. I don't even know what happened to Christine after Eterna.

Patrick London: the man who eventually became "Faux Bo". Who wouldn't have wanted to see Robert S. Woods play the over the top villain in a dual role one more time? I know I would've.

This is a great list. Personally I would have loved to have seen Ursula come back, maybe when Tina returned in 2008. They could have brought Jamie back too and had them team up to take Tina down once and for all -- only for Cord to ride in on his white horse and save the day! I would have loved that.

The one truly great villain that you failed to mention however was Mitch Laurence. Roscoe Born was so good in that role that they brought him back from the dead several times. But they kind of ruined it with the resurrected Victor Lord stuff.

Comment

Llanview Lover , Mitch wasn't on the list because he did come back. He was there in the final weeks and his return not only fixed Jessica's paternity issue (returning her to being a Buchanan) but he also got the perfect send off. He actually died for real and instead of ascending into Heaven as he thought he would, he was dragged to hell

Now Carlo Hesser. That name was definitely missing from the list although with Asa passed and Renee written out, most characters on canvas wouldn't have known who he was. Patricia Elliot may have been sick at that time as she was wearing that odd wig although she passed in 2015 after the revival had ended.

lcarus , Ursula would have been a great return. I suspect they didn't want any confusion since Jill Larson was playing Opal on AMC at that point

I also agree Jamie returning would have been good although I believe Mark Philpot had at that point retired from acting and has all but disappeared from the public eye. No one knows what he's up to, what happened to him or if he's even still alive.

While I loved the Faux Bo storyline, I think OLTL made a mistake in writing off Elizabeth Sanders. Lois Kibbe could say any line with class and was a worthy foil for Asa. Unfortunately Lois Kibbe did die in 1992, I believe from a brain tumor. In her last scenes, she noted to Bo and Asa that she was dying and I am curious if that paralleled some real life illness.

Leo I didn't see as a viable character after Eterna. Christine could have stuck around but I think the writers didn't really care about the character and just used her for the plot. I know after she got out of Eterna she got closer to Wade and they may have both been written off together (Wade was another character who started interesting and then became a throw away)

Comment

I hated the Faux Bo storyline with a passion (mostly because Didi was killed off in it) so I'm glad Patrick London never came back. Jamie Sanders was a very interesting character and I think Mark Philpot was very good. As for what became of him, his whereabouts seemed to be unknown for many years but in 2017 he popped up on an episode of Survivor as the partner of one of the contestants named Tai. Apparently after he retired from acting he became a nurse.

Comment

Yes I purposely left off Mitch and Carlo because they did come back several times.

Comment

Originally posted by JaySherman View Post
            Llanview Lover , Mitch wasn't on the list because he did come back. He was there in the final weeks and his return not only fixed Jessica's paternity issue (returning her to being a Buchanan) but he also got the perfect send off. He actually died for real and instead of ascending into Heaven as he thought he would, he was dragged to hell

Now Carlo Hesser. That name was definitely missing from the list although with Asa passed and Renee written out, most characters on canvas wouldn't have known who he was. Patricia Elliot may have been sick at that time as she was wearing that odd wig although she passed in 2015 after the revival had ended.

lcarus , Ursula would have been a great return. I suspect they didn't want any confusion since Jill Larson was playing Opal on AMC at that point

I also agree Jamie returning would have been good although I believe Mark Philpot had at that point retired from acting and has all but disappeared from the public eye. No one knows what he's up to, what happened to him or if he's even still alive.

While I loved the Faux Bo storyline, I think OLTL made a mistake in writing off Elizabeth Sanders. Lois Kibbe could say any line with class and was a worthy foil for Asa. Unfortunately Lois Kibbe did die in 1992, I believe from a brain tumor. In her last scenes, she noted to Bo and Asa that she was dying and I am curious if that paralleled some real life illness.

Leo I didn't see as a viable character after Eterna. Christine could have stuck around but I think the writers didn't really care about the character and just used her for the plot. I know after she got out of Eterna she got closer to Wade and they may have both been written off together (Wade was another character who started interesting and then became a throw away)
            Yes there were a lot of characters who had potential to be mainstays in Llanview in the 80s. I liked Wade a lot. I still have never seen his last episode or have found out how he left the show. Even on the internet summaries of the character, I've seen some say he left town with Christine. I've seen others say he left with Mari Lynn, and in another it said he found a job in California and left without Mari Lynn. I don't remember how he, Mari Lynn, or Christine left.

Another character I really liked that just kind of disappeared unceremoniously was Rafe Garretson. He really wasn't much more than the "cop that shows up when things go down" in his last few years on the show, but I don't ever remember him leaving. He just kinda faded out of the show. Then of course there's Dr. Larry Wolek. He popped up here and there all throughout the 90s and even in the early 2000s I believe but then disappeared. Didn't even show up at the end of the show!

Comment

• llanviewlover
              llanviewlover commented
              Editing a comment
              I believe Rafe was written off as moving out of town with Delilah and Sammie after it was revealed that Delilah was alive and being held hostage along with Didi and the real Bo. Once all of that came out, Delilah reunited with Rafe and I think they all moved to NYC so Delilah could continue her fashion line. But that was so long ago I could be mistaken.

I forget what happened to Wade but I loved his mother Roberta "Tiny", who I believe was introduced as being in jail with Dorian when she got sentenced for "killing" Mitch. I loved that storyline with Dorian in the prison and undercovering all the corruption there.

I thought it was such a missed opportunity not to bring back Mari Lynn and/or Tom Dennison when it was revealed later in the show's run that Lee Halpern had faked her death (even though that whole reveal was ludicrous because she was shot point blank by Mari Lynn while struggling with Donald Lamarr, and she would have never let her daughter go on trial for her death if she had survived). It seemed like a waste to bring her back only to not have her connect with her family.
              Last edited by llanviewlover; July 2, 2021, 12:55 PM.

• JaySherman
              JaySherman commented
              Editing a comment
              Delilah and Rafe reunited after the Faux Bo storyline and as I recall her singing career took off after performing at Rob Coronal's club. She was offered some sort of contract and left town with Rafe following afterwards to join her. It was a disappointing low key limited airtime write off for Ken Meeker who had been with the show over 11 years at that point.

I don't recall Mari Lynn's departure either which is odd considering she was established as cousins to Kevin, Joey, Jessica, and CJ and was Viki's niece.

I also agree that since Lee Halpern's death was a front burner story for a bit and because Mari Lynn was Viki's niece, it made no sense to not include Mari Lynn or Viki in the later story line. Tom Dennison couldn't return as Lee Patterson had died around the time the story aired.

Roberta was another toss away character with potential. She was there for Dorian's prison story line and they even made Wade her son but then dropped them both. As I recall, Charles Sanders illegitimate son Geoff McGrath had started a small law firm with Judith Sanders and Wade was his client when Wade was introduced. Geoff went to work for Elizabeth after Judith left and after some concerns about Elizabeth's business practices (I don't recall how much he actually knew), he went back to Mendorra to practice law.

Originally posted by JaySherman View Post

They never should have killed of Talia and written out Antonio. Not only were they great but Talia was Carlo's daughter which could have lead to years worth of drama.

Comment

• llanviewlover
              llanviewlover commented
              Editing a comment
              I totally forgot about Talia! I remember being really pissed when they got rid of her.

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
          Working...
          X