Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Anyone Think that the Prospect Park reboot would be considered canon?

Collapse

Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Anyone Think that the Prospect Park reboot would be considered canon?

I really enjoyed the PP revival despite some flaws. But I’m not sure it should be cannon if the show ever had some sort of revival.

your thoughts?

I think what sunk PP was expecting to get Todd Manning, Starr Manning, and John McBain back.

It's really too bad that PP agreed to release the characters in the first place and not force ABC to do what it ultimately did anyway; hire the actors, but give them new characters to play. RH could have been brought onto play an AJ Quartermaine recast and John McBain could reprise the role of Caleb Morley and simply retcon any past mention of him as some kind of vampire fantasy.

John McBain could have died in a plane crash, Victor would have remained dead, and Todd Manning would be doing life behind bars.

Then action could have focused to the remaining OLTL characters: Blair Jack, Starr and Hope Manning versus Tea, Sam, Danielle, and Tea's infant daughter by Victor.

Also Jessica marries and moves out of town with Ryder's true father, Brody who coparents "his" son, Liam with Natalie who is raising him as a single mother. Again, I think PP could have worked if the had focused on merging AMC and OLTL JR Chandler could have easily been brought back to lock horns with Kevin Buchanan. Tad's son, Jamie, might have been given enough of an edge and sexiness to smoke with Natalie Buchanan and Matthew Buchanan and Jack Manning could have been chemistry tested with Miranda or Gabrielle Montgomery.

The premise being that the City of Llanview expanded in size to annex the Township of Pennsylvania and then the merger of AMC and OLT to be renamed The Commonwealth.

I honestly think that if PP had made arrangements with ABC to relocate The View to Los Angeles and relocate the OLTL set to that sound stage and return the AMC cast to the original sound stage and just rented the premises to create their own hourly show a day that catered to OLTL and AMC fans that the project could have succeeded.

For some damned reason both GH and PP were determined to hang on to Michael Easton and Roger Howarth. Had I taken the helm of PP, I would have left GH keep the actors, but scuttled the characters and moved the focus of The Commonwealth as far from them as possible.

Notice that, even though PP lost all rights to Todd Manning and John McBain, GH opted to simply give RH a new role when "Franco" died" and the same with ME when Whats-His-Name died rather than bringing them back to the canvas respectively as Todd Manning and John McBain.

Comment

• Troy43
      Troy43 commented
      Editing a comment
      I just had a thought that the reason for them not bringing Todd back was because they were going to bring him back to Llanview. They said wherever Mike is in Llantano valley. 🤭🤔😀

very good question! I think it would not be considered canon, Im thinking the writers wouldn't find a way to contradict the events there, nor would they honor them either. A time jump would be good, that would avoid having to deal with anything that happened on PP.

I enjoyed the PP version of the show, though it never became as good as OLTL at its best on ABC. So for me I wouldnt mind if it was considered canon, but it would also surprise me
    JC
    SOC Moderator
    soapcentral.com
    Questions? Email me: JCmojoe81

Comment

I think it should be considered canon. It's not like they did anything egregious or canvas-altering that would hamper any writing team right now. Viki wasn't turned into an evil space reptile in disguise. Bo didn't turn out to be Asa with plastic surgery just so he can marry Nora. In fact, I think it would be nice to tie up some of those storylines.

Comment

It is absolutely not canon. There was just so much wrong and retconned under them they may as well have started a new show.

Comment

• Troy43
          Troy43 commented
          Editing a comment
          For starters, Walker Lawrence changed to Todd’s twin.

• Luke
          Luke commented
          Editing a comment
          Troy43 As I commented in another thread, that was under Ron/Frank and ABC. Well before PP

• regalbeagle
          regalbeagle commented
          Editing a comment
          Prospect Park didn't do the two Todds storyline. That was ABC in the final year of the show.

I mean I dont think it really matters that much. I like the idea of a time jump aswell. But with certain characters more in character than on PP

Comment

I really disliked PP’s version of OLTL, but it’s hardly unheard of for soaps to rewrite egregious storylines. Completely ignoring the PP stuff may not be necessary, good writers may be able to fix it with some competent storytelling.

Comment

With the amount of time that has passed, they would probably ignore most of the Prospect Park stories but keep certain plot points from it. Like Victor being alive and everyone knowing about it, for one example. Todd and Blair getting married is another thing they might want to keep. Depends which actors signed on and which characters they wanted of course.

Comment

• regalbeagle
              regalbeagle commented
              Editing a comment
              Victor was alive before Prospect Park started. He was shown as Alison's captive on the final episode on ABC.

• lcarus
              lcarus commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes I know, I said Victor being alive and everyone knowing about it. Meaning the characters on the show. They won't have to redo them all acting like they're surprised he's not dead. Though maybe they should, because that was really odd how everyone reacted to him being alive. Possibly the oddest "back from the dead' reveal I've ever seen. Everyone just kind of stood there when he walked in and then went right back to arguing about Dani and her drug problem lol. Nobody seemed all that shocked and nobody seemed to really give a crap outside of maybe Tea.

Prospect Park didn't do anything that needed to be taken out of canon. It barely got started. The only big reveal was that Viki's new reporter protégé was a member of the nefarious group that Victor Jr. was running from.

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
            Working...
            X